I bought a second hand BOLD from a friend who dropped the phone and the headphone jack got damaged. About a day later the little silver ring fell off, and is no where to be found. I know that the jack is part of the motherboard, but I was wondering if it was possible to replace just the jack? I know some soldering work would have to be done and Im fine with that, but out of all the cell phone part stores online, I havent seen a replacement part for the headphone jack (I have for the USB port) but was wondering if there was some place I could order it for my BOLD, or if there was another headphone jack from a previous Blackberry device that would also work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. When a headphone is plugged in it, if you jiggle it a bit, you can get it to work, after about 10 min of playing with it, but the silver piece that would hold it in place is gone and also im thinking maybe the contacts just got pushed into the phone a bit. Id like to change the housing because it has some scratches on it, as well as put a new red trackball and new keyboard with the numbers in red, so I have been holding off taking it apart, so I can hopefully do everything at once. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.
    04-02-09 02:47 PM
    Not sure how to go about changing it and if it would work but here's a link to the headphone part.

BlackBerry Bold 9000 OEM Headphone Jack Cellular phone accessories. Offering all accessories from Nokia,Sony Ericssons,Motolora,Samsung and more.

And take the time to browse around because they might have other parts you may want to get too.
    04-02-09 03:04 PM
    Thank you. I checked CNN.cn which is usually where I get my parts from and they didnt have it. They do have the red trackball which is one of the things i wanted to get for my Bold.
    04-02-09 03:27 PM
    You need to be good at soldering surface mount devices and have the right equipment for this. Not easy even if the solder pads are accessible.
    04-02-09 05:06 PM
    You need to be good at soldering surface mount devices and have the right equipment for this. Not easy even if the solder pads are accessible.
    Actually, if you're inexperienced with soldering SMDs or just don't have the right soldering guns to access those tiny contact pads on the headphone jack, you can always try wire glue or any other conductive glue. They're made for low voltage connections, headphone jacks should fit into this category.
    04-29-09 09:02 AM
    This might be a difficult repair to do yourself.
    First go to RadioShack and see if they have a suitable part and a micro soldering iron.

Do a google search for "blackberry repair" and your local area.
    There are companies that do BB repair mail order like:
    portaTronics� - Blackberry Repair New York City (NYC)
    They might be able to mail you the part too.
    Last edited by mandony; 04-29-09 at 11:42 AM.
    04-29-09 11:39 AM
    You cannot do this yourself. The components use surface solder techniques and you cannot make even a tiny soldering iron do the work since the solder pads are often under the component.

It may be possible using hot air but that requires a special tool.

Best way is to send it off to BlackBerry Repair Shop - A full line of RIM BlackBerry repair services and BlackBerry parts for all BlackBerry handheld devices who do a good god for not very cheap.
    04-29-09 11:50 AM
    I just did this myself. The stakes weren't too high, since it's a BB 9000 I'd given to my grandson when I got my 9700 and he uses it only for MP3's, camera, and alarm clock. (I guess it is a big deal to him if I would have wrecked it.)

The hard part is removing the old jack. The trick is to just cut up the plastic housing in-place with small diagonal cutters. Then each terminal can be removed individually.

I also put a small piece of a plastic bag between the circuit board and the LCD case for insulation. A strip of tape probably would have worked also.
    05-20-11 10:10 AM
    it is very easy to replace the actual port adapter. First check out the youtube vids on how to disassemble your blackberry bold. Mine is a 9700. Just disassemble up until you have the three parts - the main board, middle part, and the back cover. Then on the back you can actually just LIFT out the blackberry headphone port with easy. Replacements are available on ebay - they are called BOLD 9700 OEM HEADPHONE JACK/PORT/CONNECTOR or something similar in ebay. Cost around 8 bucks. you can just slot in a new one and its done.
    06-03-11 04:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD