Hello,

Just landed in Dubai on a biz trip.

Purchased a 8920 to be able to use the wifi and make call and surf the web.

I had this issue with my 8320 as well.

I can find the network, enter the key in, and it says its connected.

But I cant surf or make any calls.

On top of the time it says the Network name, and the wifi logo is there under the signal strength.

Is there something I need to do?

I had this issue with my 8320, was able to always connect, but never was able to actually get it to work.

Thanks in advanced...

Gonna be a LONG week without my phone.
    04-01-09 04:35 PM
    Any help?

Desperately need my wi-fi to work on this biz trip.
    04-01-09 05:08 PM
    Does UMA even work outside North America? Do you get a proper IP address when you are on wifi? Have you tried using the WAP browser?
    04-01-09 05:10 PM
    There is no such thing as an 8920, so you must have an 8900. To make sure you have WiFi configured correctly, check the WiFi Guide link in my signature.
    04-01-09 06:21 PM
    There is no such thing as an 8920, so you must have an 8900. To make sure you have WiFi configured correctly, check the WiFi Guide link in my signature.
    yes im sorry, i was assuming it was the tmobile version.

i tried everything in your guide will with no luck,

im not sure if in Dubai there is something that wont allow for it to work.

i was trying to get a wifi connection on the phone to call back to the states.

The wi-fi network shows on the phone, but it wont let me connect to internet or make calls.

very frustrating
    04-02-09 10:04 PM
    If I am understanding correctly, you have T-mobile USA as your provider and you are just in Dubai for the week. You are trying to make calls to people you know back in the US over UMA while in Dubai but that is not working?
    04-02-09 10:14 PM
    If I am understanding correctly, you have T-mobile USA as your provider and you are just in Dubai for the week. You are trying to make calls to people you know back in the US over UMA while in Dubai but that is not working?
    yes sir/maam

i am assuming it might be the hotel network here.
    04-02-09 10:34 PM
    Is there a way to change my proxy settings?

that is what one of the hotel workers was saying
    04-02-09 10:44 PM
    Its Sir!

Yes that was my next question, if you were using a hotel's WiFi connection. I would assume in that case there are at least 1 of 2 things going on. Either the hotel's WiFi network is blocking the ports needed for UMA or T-mobile is blocking International IP Addresses through their UMA service. I know some have stated they can use UMA Internationally so that, hopefully, is not the issue and instead it is the hotel's network.
    04-02-09 10:51 PM
    Is there a way to change my proxy settings?

that is what one of the hotel workers was saying
    04-02-09 10:52 PM
    I don't believe you can use proxy servers with a Blackberry. I'm not aware of how to anyway.
    04-02-09 11:08 PM
    Sounds more like if he is using a Hotel WiFi that he is not fully connected due to a page you would get with a notebook that allows you to login to the network by accepting the terms and service. Could never get that page to come up on my 8900 to enable UMA/ web browsing. Just had this problem 2 weeks ago. Phone wouldn't connect to the wifi at the hotel i was at, but was able to connect with my notebook due to the fact the login page would come up on my netbook allowing me to click "i accept".
    04-02-09 11:52 PM
    I'm in Canada--and facing the same dilemma.

So here is what happened.
    1. got on the wireless network (Telus), then hit "wifi hotspot login" under set up "wi-fi connection" to get the 'login' page for hotspots. entered my login and password info (cc info, etc) on a browser, then connected. I had the "pink dots" show up--and WIFI illuminated. Then i could get text and emails..but no voice.

2. Needed to restart the phone for unrelated reason--then dropped off the network. When I tried to "reconnect" i couldn't get the login page (wifi hotspot login) to show up again. It just says there's a connection/server problem. I'm connected to TELUS but not connected in terms of data voice.

3. Was super frustrated--searched the net, found some things...then tried again. It worked! the whole process--and then UMA came on and I could make phone calls..so I made a few calls. Went to bed excited that my phone works the way it should--and amazed at the cool technology.

AM

4. Wake-up. Phone is not connected to UMA or WIFI anymore. Connected to Telus. Keep getting STEP 2. Now I'm stuck at STEP 2.

My theory is that someone "reset" the hotel router last night--and when it was reset, I was able to log on. When the system kicked me off--the router won't let me relog on.

Any way of fixing this?

Thanks!
    04-03-09 12:26 PM
    The router at the hotel may be preventing you from making a tunnel
    (Vpn connection) over the internet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-09 12:47 PM
    @emmiec - You can try to clear your browser's cache. This might allow you to get the login screen again:

Browser > BB Button > Options > Cache Options > Clear History
    04-03-09 01:00 PM
    thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I am mad at myself...frickin lost my brand new 2 day old curve today as i have no idea where i placed it.

more than likely i left it in the cab....

so sad right now....7 am here in Dubai and have not slept since yesterday
    04-03-09 09:32 PM
    You're kidding! Man, sorry to hear that.
    04-03-09 10:01 PM
    You're kidding! Man, sorry to hear that.
    sadly i am not kidding.....it is so unfortunate.

First I break my 8320 Curve. So I used my 8100 Pearl as a back up and lose that 1 day before my business trip..

Perfect excuse to go buy the 8900.

2 days here and I lose that..
    04-04-09 07:04 AM
    this might be pretty obvious but it might not at the same time...

for you travelers, have you called tmobile and asked for the free International Plan Add-On thing they offer? i couldnt make phone calls from mexico until i activated this... given it wasnt over wifi and it ended up costing me nearly my frist born...
    04-04-09 09:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD