Are you guys happy with GPRS? I heard that GPRS is as slow as dialup. The thing is, I am in Australia and I am joining Vodafone next week. They only have GPRS (no EDGE).

Are you guys also use GPRS? How's the speed?
    04-01-09 11:57 AM
    GRPS sucks. It's very slow. It's not even worth trying to browse the internet w/ out EDGE or WIFI (IMO).
    04-01-09 12:30 PM
    It seems that my GPRS has been just as quick as my EDGE. I am sure it is different with everyone here but it has been pretty good.
    04-01-09 12:31 PM
    Ok, I hope my GPRS wont be that bad. Or I will regret buying this phone *sob*
    04-01-09 12:48 PM
    I don't mind GPRS. Not that I have a choice because there's no EDGE in .nl. But still, it's quicker on your BB than any other GPRS-phone since the datastream gets compressed on the BIS.
    04-01-09 12:53 PM
    I don't mind GPRS. Not that I have a choice because there's no EDGE in .nl. But still, it's quicker on your BB than any other GPRS-phone since the datastream gets compressed on the BIS.
    Yay, got someone in a same boat here. Where is nl?

Is the speed equal to 56k dialup? I am happy if the speed above 10Kbps
    04-01-09 12:58 PM
    GPRS is quite slow. Typically you will see a max download speed of 48Kbps. This link explains what's happening What is GPRS (General Packet Radio Service)?

Here are some results I got by using the Xreme Labs Speed test using EDGE

Here are the Speedtest results for my Blackberry: Using EDGE

Connection Type: Carrier
    Avg. Download Speed: 184.36Kbits/s
    Max. Download Speed: 184.36Kbits/s

Avg. Upload Speed: 58.24Kbits/s
    Max. Upload Speed: 58.24Kbits/s

Visit Xtreme Labs website at:
    http://www.xtremelabs.com/apps
    Sent from my BlackBerry� Smartphone supplied by Swisscom
    04-01-09 01:03 PM
    I see a difference browsing between my 8900 on EDGE and my Storm on GPRS. The EDGE is faster but not a whole heck of a lot faster.
    04-01-09 01:06 PM
    GPRS is quicker that 3G more people on 3G mostly have data contracts and GPRS are moslty pay as you go so people dont use the internet as much as cost are high. so gprs internet is quicker. not enperience EDGE yet
    04-01-09 01:08 PM
    GPRS is quicker that 3G more people on 3G mostly have data contracts and GPRS are moslty pay as you go so people dont use the internet as much as cost are high. so gprs internet is quicker. not enperience EDGE yet
    Ummmmmmmm no
    04-01-09 01:09 PM
    i have had them all with dif carriers and the 3g was always twice as fast as edge and edge twice as fast as gprs. this is measured by appearance only(real world browsing and tethering) as i have never been tech with it, i like to tether with my lap top and this is a pointless venture with gprs and edge. 3g tethering was similar to cable speeds on my home computer.
    04-01-09 01:19 PM
    I was quite surprised by GPRS - it was not unbearably slow. You will want to use a browser which compresses the data though, such as Opera Mini. With such a browser and a webpage designed for mobile phones (!), GPRS is surprisingly good, considering how old it is and how low the data rates are.

It will be good enough for emergency like situations, where you are not interested in a huge amount of data. Examples are: looking up flight or bus plans, looking up words in a dictionary or using wikipedia. You will not want to use it for anything which is media-rich, like youtube.
    04-01-09 01:44 PM
    If you use BB messenger and facebook app, will you notice the slow when using GPRS comparing 3G?

If you were me, in Australia, where you have either GRPS or 3G? Will you still use 8900 using 2G. I have unlimited internet, so I was thinking it would be a waste if my speed is GRPS.

P.S: I have 8900 bought outright and going to have bold in a week through contract
    Last edited by dr_sex; 04-01-09 at 11:25 PM.
    04-01-09 09:42 PM
    The 8900 does not have the hardware available to catch 3G frequencies.
    04-01-09 10:55 PM
    Sorry, i have edited my post
    04-01-09 11:25 PM
    Really? I was told last week by a T Mobile rep that the 8900 was 3G capable, and that when T Mobile updates to 3G capabilities the 8900 will slide right on in. So sad to hear this isn't so. Aristile, I trust you know your stuff on this...
    04-01-09 11:36 PM
    Really? I was told last week by a T Mobile rep that the 8900 was 3G capable, and that when T Mobile updates to 3G capabilities the 8900 will slide right on in. So sad to hear this isn't so. Aristile, I trust you know your stuff on this...
    Yes, really. You were told some really bad information.
    04-01-09 11:54 PM
    Yes, really. You were told some really bad information.
    Well, it was fun while the excitement lasted! But I was slightly skeptical anyway. Again, thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-09 11:58 PM
    No problem, you are welcome. Always consult Crackberry first before believing what a sales rep tells you.
    04-02-09 12:10 AM
    No problem, you are welcome. Always consult Crackberry first before believing what a sales rep tells you.
    Hah! Yeah, you are right about that, and I always intended to check it out eventually. I just mistakenly allowed myself to believe him for a quick few days. I really just wish they would train their reps to not make statements to customers that they don't have facts with which to back it up! :-)

04-02-09 12:29 AM
    Hah! Yeah, you are right about that, and I always intended to check it out eventually. I just mistakenly allowed myself to believe him for a quick few days. I really just wish they would train their reps to not make statements to customers that they don't have facts with which to back it up! :-)

Nah, they train their reps to say anything neccessary to sell phones.
    04-02-09 12:39 AM

Sadly all they care about is that the sales reps are making money for them. Other than that, nothing else matters much.
    04-02-09 12:40 AM
    GPRS and EDGE are quite similar. GPRS is technically 2.5G while EDGE is 2.75G

In my experience, they're pretty much just as slow lol
    04-02-09 12:43 AM
    Now, that I don't doubt! However, this rep was drooling over my 8900 and asking how I liked my new phone. He was lamenting the fact that he wasn't yet up for an upgrade. He knew he wasn't going to sell me anything more, and just "dumped" with the enticing 3G misinformation. Yeah, I will take all future statements with a grain of salt and head right over to Crackberry for the real facts! :-)

04-02-09 12:44 AM
    GPRS and EDGE are quite similar. GPRS is technically 2.5G while EDGE is 2.75G

In my experience, they're pretty much just as slow lol
    So, if this is true then my EDGE is bringing all of us 8900 users pretty close to 3G anyway... Sounds good enough to me!

04-02-09 12:48 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD