Hello fellow Crackateers,

I am getting ready to travel to Japan in the next few months and wanted to use my BlackBerry Bold while I was there. I have my Bold unlocked through AT&T and was planning on popping in the Sprint International SIM since Sprint offers Unlimited BlackBerry Data for $69.99 w/ no contract requirements. My question is, if I deactivate my BlackBerry services through AT&T, will they resume on the Sprint side once I insert that SIM? I know that if I use a non-BlackBerry, I would definitely have data services; however, does that apply with BlackBerry since it's based off the device's PIN?

- VDubb
    04-01-09 09:51 AM
    Sprint doesn't use SIM cards so you will have a slight issue with that. The Bold is a GSM phone while Sprint is a CDMA network. Not certain about abroad but still different phones/networks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-09 10:07 AM
    Sprint does offer international sim cards, I have one in my World Edition phone. However, I'm not sure if it will work in an unlocked Bold or not though. I don't see why it wouldn't as the 8830 is unlocked for any international sim. Best bet is to call/email Sprint I suppose

04-01-09 11:24 AM
    Sprint doesn't use SIM cards so you will have a slight issue with that. The Bold is a GSM phone while Sprint is a CDMA network. Not certain about abroad but still different phones/networks.

As stated by the following poster, Sprint does offer International SIMs (Have one coming to me as we speak).

Sprint does offer international sim cards, I have one in my World Edition phone. However, I'm not sure if it will work in an unlocked Bold or not though. I don't see why it wouldn't as the 8830 is unlocked for any international sim. Best bet is to call/email Sprint I suppose

It'll work in an unlocked phone. For example, if I had the Nokia E71 or iPhone (unlocked of course) with the Sprint SIM, I will have unlimited data for $69.99. The issue with BlackBerry how the PIN works with registering with BlackBerry. Sprint was of no help; however, I might be able to get some info by searching for how the people unlock the Storm for T-Mobile or AT&T.

- VDubb
    04-01-09 11:38 AM
    Doing some more searching, it seems the trick will be somehow getting my PIN registered on Sprint. I'm calling up Sprint's BlackBerry support to see what I can find and will get back with what I find out.

- VDubb
    04-01-09 11:48 AM
    Well, after spending hours trying to find a solution, looks like their isn't a way to get an unlocked BlackBerry on Sprint. I'll have to either make due with AT&T's measly 50MB plan or buy an E71/E75 to use up there on the Sprint Unlimited plan.

- VDubb
    04-02-09 04:13 PM
    Well, after spending hours trying to find a solution, looks like their isn't a way to get an unlocked BlackBerry on Sprint. I'll have to either make due with AT&T's measly 50MB plan or buy an E71/E75 to use up there on the Sprint Unlimited plan.

- VDubb
    I find that irritating, even though Sprint is learning, slowly, how to listen to customers.

Isn't it a pretty obvious choice, allowing unlocked phones and get the extra plan sales... duh. But I love my new curve
    04-05-09 10:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD