Just checked the forums over there and they have a demo for the Storm users on Verizon to try out. Just downloaded and checked and pinpointed me perfectly! I will try out the turn-by-turn directions later but it looks like they figured it out.

Get it here ... amaze TELE2 Test
    Last edited by uofmrapper; 03-26-09 at 07:43 AM.
    03-26-09 07:33 AM
    Ok, I loaded this version and it does have good GPS pickup now but I couldn't get turn by turn "spoken" driving directions. Just a line on the map or written directions.

The other thing is that the menu system is very quirky. We all know it doesn't support surepress but it's also very lazy about recognizing a touch and some of the menu items get very small when they nest options.

On the whole, it's an odd app because it's so unbalanced. Some areas of good graphics and features and other areas where you scratch your head.
    03-26-09 08:22 AM
    Mine works at first but it looses connection in like 30 seconds

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-09 09:35 AM
    I just installed it and it is still not ready for primetime. The GPS works now but showed me at a location about 15 miles from my house. Google Maps has me within 3 meters. Also, the app doesn't work well with the Storm's screen, I tried to drag the map and it it keeps bringing up the menu system. Trying to exit out of a menu is nearly impossible. I am seriously considering buying Garmin, free is good but you generally get what you pay for.
    03-26-09 09:37 AM
    definitely still plenty buggy. but it is still just a test beta.
    this is the email had received.

"Hi all,

We have released a new test version for the Storm, which according to first feedbacks � solved the GPS problem.

You can download it from here: amaze TELE2 Test

In a few days, it will be available through our download site, but we didn't want to keep you waiting any longer."

at least it picks up the satellites now. they are headed in the right direction. whe i had it do a search and get directions it showed me as being a couple streets away from my actual location.
    03-26-09 09:41 AM
    So no turn by turn directions with sound???

Man, this company is taking forever to get this to work. I know it is free but why bother, releasing half-A@@ software
    03-26-09 09:53 AM
    It is still nearly impossible to use.

This app looks great but it is set up for a trackball phone and it is really not built for the Storm.
    03-26-09 10:13 AM
    Interesting...since installing this new version of amAze, my free memory has increased by ~10MB. Is there such a thing as a reverse memory leak?
    03-26-09 11:32 AM
    they should just scrap the gps part of their software and name it memoryincreaser , will sell like hot cakes.
    03-26-09 11:59 AM
    No memory increase here

03-26-09 12:18 PM
    All in all, without turn by turn with sound, I think it's best to stick with GMaps. Deleting app for 3rd time...
    03-26-09 12:57 PM
    I installed and tested this at lunch. It works fine AND the turn by turn voice commands work.

The menu system navigation is a little clunky, but once you enter in the addresses, it works like a champ. Map mode gives you a view where you can see streets and it highlights navigation path. Turns are marked by arrows and the voice alert is pretty accurate - I'd say within 3 feet.

The turn by turn voice instructions are actually ported through the headphone jack. I have an axillary input in my car, so I just plugged it in and took off to lunch. On my way back from lunch, I drove the route it prescribed (female navigator voice) and it got me back to work almost the same way I would normally take from my favorite restaurant.

My only complaint is the menu buttons and how you select things are clumsy and probably made to work with a trackball, however once you get past that, it's a very nice free gps app.

My 2 cents,
    Khoa
    03-26-09 01:47 PM
    It still needs some fine tuning. I'm gonna send feedback on the quirks I have found

03-26-09 01:52 PM
    I totally agree to the fine tuning. I wanted to make a point that it's not as horrible as other people have posted. I think the menu system is terrible - they need to rethink it and make it touch-friendly. The functions for the navigate does work, and I forgot to mention in my previous post, that I intentionally missed a turn and it did a recalc pretty fast.
    03-26-09 01:56 PM
    Mine works perfect and always has been.

03-26-09 02:46 PM
    Local search does not work for me.
    03-26-09 02:53 PM
    using it over lunch ... on the whole good at being GPS Navigation but I with the would prefer them to use Surepress as the touch is hit and miss and I keep launching / selecting things that are not wanted.

7/10
    03-26-09 03:18 PM
    VERY Clunky!!
    03-26-09 03:29 PM
    The touch vs. click thing does make it difficult to use, but I have to say that once you get past that (if you can), this is a great App for free. The birds-eye view is really cool. Turn-by-turn voice directions work great, it calculated and recalculated directions quickly. However, the local search didn't work that great for me. Also, their menu system on the Storm would work better if they made a standard menu that you could get to by pushing the BB button, instead of trying to guess where on the screen you need to touch to select a certain menu item (touching the item seems to select the item above it?)

For free, I'll take it. In my opinion, it's better than Nav4All, which I could never get to work correctly (it always gave me wrong directions).
    03-26-09 03:29 PM
    Ill be d/l shortly, we shall see how it works
    03-26-09 03:35 PM
    Seems to keep a GPS lock for me. I was messing around with it in my house. Make sure you have location aiding enabled in your GPS settings. I will give this program a try next time I am in the car to see how it handles.
    03-26-09 03:36 PM
    Just checked the forums over there and they have a demo for the Storm users on Verizon to try out. Just downloaded and checked and pinpointed me perfectly! I will try out the turn-by-turn directions later but it looks like they figured it out.

Get it here ... amaze TELE2 Test
    Awesome post! You just made all of us Stormers sleep a little easier tonight!
    03-27-09 02:06 AM
    hmm..it keeps telling me it cannot find satellites.

settings are:
    GPS data source (device GPS)
    GPS services (location on)
    location aiding (enabled)
    03-27-09 04:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD