Hi everyone! I'm new to the community. I just got my verizon 8130 bb pearl last week and I had a question about the battery life. With normal use (ie some browsing, texting and calling), the battery is nearly dead by the end of the day? Is this normal? Approximately how long should the battery life be on the pearl?

Any info would be great! Thanks!
    02-17-08 10:16 PM
    The first week I had my Pearl, the battery seemed to need to be charged daily...now, after 2 weeks, I'm finding I can go about 1-3 days between charges, depending on the amount of usage.
    02-17-08 10:21 PM
    The first week I had my Pearl, the battery seemed to need to be charged daily...now, after 2 weeks, I'm finding I can go about 1-3 days between charges, depending on the amount of usage.

Thanks for your help. Do you know why this is with your phone?
    02-17-08 10:24 PM
    My guess is the battery needed to be conditioned or "broken in." Now that it is, it seems to hold the charge longer.
    02-17-08 10:27 PM
    I just got my pearl last week and it seems to be like that too. It has died a couple times and I usually charge it everyday.
    02-17-08 10:29 PM
    Make sure that when you are done with programs that you don't just use the red button to exit the app. It will just go to the background unless you do BB Key > Close.

2 other reasons are that a battery needs "conditioned" to get the best battery life out of it by fully draining and then fully charging. Another reason is that you stop playing with it so much after about a week
    02-17-08 10:29 PM
    Another reason is that you stop playing with it so much after about a week
    Oh how I wish that was true!
    02-17-08 10:58 PM
    I'm thinking darn near 100% of the folks here will disagree with you on that one viper.
    02-18-08 05:58 AM
    No Comment.... but I do wear glasses!
    02-18-08 06:32 AM
    usually have 2 out of 3 bars at the end of the day. quick charge in the morning and it's ready to go! i do turn it off at night.
    02-18-08 06:46 AM
    Hi everyone! I'm new to the community. I just got my verizon 8130 bb pearl last week and I had a question about the battery life. With normal use (ie some browsing, texting and calling), the battery is nearly dead by the end of the day? Is this normal? Approximately how long should the battery life be on the pearl?

Any info would be great! Thanks!
    What kind of signal area are you in? A strong Ev-DO signal (1XEV on your screen) will not drain nearly as much from the battery as a weak signal. Also, if your device gets into a weak signal area, it much switch back and forth from 1XEV to 1X to 1XEV -- this seems to really drain the battery quickly.

That said, I charge every night. I usually have 40% - 75% left at the end of the day with fairly heaving browsing (1 - 2 hours), some texting and a few phone calls.

Where I work has a stong signal, my house has a weak signal so my battery may drain faster than some.
    02-18-08 10:44 AM
    Make sure that when you are done with programs that you don't just use the red button to exit the app. It will just go to the background unless you do BB Key > Close.

2 other reasons are that a battery needs "conditioned" to get the best battery life out of it by fully draining and then fully charging. Another reason is that you stop playing with it so much after about a week
    I have read this on here before. How can you tell what is running in the background?
    02-18-08 11:31 AM

Hi, what is this "BB Key > Close" the escape key?
    02-18-08 03:52 PM
    the bb key is the one to the left of the trackball.. (looks like the rim logo..or a blackberry...)
    hit that and scroll down to the bottom where it says "close"
    select that with your trackball and voila...

there are five things that CANNOT BE CLOSED : browser, phone,

...someone help me out i had a brain fart...what are the toher ones?

-db
    02-18-08 03:59 PM
    Browser, Call log, Home Screen, Messenger, Messages
    02-18-08 11:34 PM
    I think you should be getting about 2 full days with a moderate amount of use.
    02-22-08 12:08 AM
    I've had the same experience as some others ealier in the thread. The first week or two my battery would run almost dead in 12-14 hours. Now after about a month it takes 2 to 2 1/2 days for the battery to run down.
    02-22-08 05:02 AM
    I've had the same experience as some others ealier in the thread. The first week or two my battery would run almost dead in 12-14 hours. Now after about a month it takes 2 to 2 1/2 days for the battery to run down.
    Two possibilities:
    1.) It take s few charges to condition the battery. Should be up to full storage capacity in 5-6.
    2.) Its brand new guys! Once the novelty wears off you don't play with all the buttons anymore!
    02-22-08 06:27 AM
    It's definitely option #1.
    02-22-08 07:38 AM
    what if the close tab does not come up when you select that...mine goes to the icons when i do that
    02-22-08 04:53 PM

I just left the Verizon store....he said "conditioning batteries" is a thing of the past- current batteries do not need to be "conditioned", that they have no "memory".... I am confused......has anybody else heard this?
    02-24-08 02:22 PM
    To see which programs are running in the background, hold down shift key then click the back key, then scroll back and forth w trackball to see the programs. Click "close" or "exit" on the BB menu for each application to close out the programs. Four programs seem to stay on permanently - Messages, Browser, Home Screen, and call log.

Anyone know how long the battery should last before it needs replacing? I've had mine less than a year and now won't hold a charge over 12 hours.
    06-05-08 08:56 AM
    I just left the Verizon store....he said "conditioning batteries" is a thing of the past- current batteries do not need to be "conditioned", that they have no "memory".... I am confused......has anybody else heard this?
    "Conditioning" and "battery memory" are a little different. Conditioning is more of like a break-in period where the battery needs to go through a couple full cycles (fully drain - fully charge) to get optimum performance. For most new batteries, this holds true. Battery memory is where if you only use the battery a little bit, and then charge it, over and over again, the battery will only recognize that little bit you have been using. To avoid this, you could run the battery down as much as you can before recharging. Battery memory should only occur in older batteries. Even though newer batteries do not have "memory", you should let the battery get down as low as you are comfortable with before recharging because newer batteries (lithium, or lithium-ion, not Ni-Mh) actually have the most/best output at about 20-30%
    06-05-08 12:22 PM
    I am getting 3-4 days with heavy to moderate usage.
    06-05-08 12:37 PM
    Is there a shortcut for closing programs?

So, first I press the BB button, but then I have to scroll down using the trackball to close.

Is there a shortcut? Like another key stroke I can use instead of using the trackball?
    06-05-08 08:57 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD