I've had this problem with my Storm since I first got it (and through several OS upgrades), but recently it's been getting worse. I use my Storm as my primary mp3 player, along with output devices ranging from my Sennheiser HD280 headphones to my Shure SCL3 earphones to an FM transmitter in the car to AUX-IN jacks to a tape adapter... etc etc etc.

Anyway, when I'm listening to music, sometimes I'll jostle the headphone cord or jack. This will cause my music to be interrupted while the screen goes white and the phone brings up the Voice Dialing prompt, and a computer voice says "Say a Command." Then I'll press the back button and my music will resume playing as normal.

This only happens intermittently -- it doesn't happen every time I jostle the cord, and sometimes I can't make it happen at all. Then, other times, it'll happen with the slightest cord movement, making it totally impossible to listen to music.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I think I might need to get a replacement Storm...
    03-24-09 08:38 PM
    The problem is you are putting a standard 2.5mm stereo plug into your phone which has a 3.5mm stereo with mic jack and you are basically shorting the connections with the 2.5mm plug in the 3.5mm jack.

You need an adapter such as this:

BlackBerry Accessories Store - Stereo Headset Adapter, 3.5mm to 2.5mm (BlackBery Pearl, Pearl 8220, Curve, Curve 8900, Bold, Storm Series)

Not sure if BB has a special standard or if you can just grab one from RadioShack. I need to get one of these myself.
    Last edited by Chokeberry; 03-24-09 at 09:53 PM.
    03-24-09 09:51 PM
    The problem is you are putting a standard 2.5mm stereo plug into your phone which has a 3.5mm stereo with mic jack and you are basically shorting the connections with the 2.5mm plug in the 3.5mm jack.

You need an adapter such as this:

Not sure if BB has a special standard or if you can just grab one from RadioShack. I need to get one of these myself.
    I'm definitely not putting 2.5mm hardware into the jack.

But are you saying the problem is that the Storm has a four-pole outlet (L, R, Ground, Mic) and I'm putting three-pole plugs into it? That could be it I suppose... probably worth grabbing an adapter on eBay before I go through the hassle of replacing an otherwise-perfect phone...
    03-24-09 09:59 PM
    Yes that is what I'm saying and I'm just using the adapter terminology.
    03-24-09 10:02 PM
    You could have a faulty 3.5mm plug on your Storm. Mine does not have this problem when jostled. You can use standard 3 pole in that plug, it won't cause these issues. Something must be up with your plug on the device. The 4th pole is used for tripping the device to answer if ringing or in your case trigger the voice dialing. It's what the button on the 4 pole headsets does.
    03-24-09 10:38 PM
    Are you saying you know for fact that third connection is not used as a mic input?

On my first storm I could use a set of Sony headphones and it was fine unless moved but could not use any patch cords to AUX inputs, just wouldn't work. That is what made me look at the earpods that came with the storm and realized they must make an adapter.
    Last edited by Chokeberry; 03-24-09 at 10:47 PM.
    03-24-09 10:41 PM
    So if you already have a 3.5mm plug with a 3 pole end (sounds like that's what the orig. poster has), where can you find a converter to go from 3.5mm 3pole to a 3.5mm 4 pole. I looked and could only find adapters that are used to get a 2.5mm jack up to a 3.5. Couldn't find a 3.5 to 3.5 4 pole. I'm asking because I think I need this as well. I've got a 3 pole 3.5mm to RCA cable for the truck, but when an email comes in to the phone, it doesn't pause play (listening to audio books) like it will if I'm listening through me BB headset.

Thanks,

Grey
    03-25-09 09:31 AM
    I have a blackberry 8100, i was always able to listen music thru my headphones, but recently as soon as i plug my headphones in voice dialing is activated......if am listening to music and then plug my headphones in...activate headset....i could hear music comin thru my speakers and voice dialing is activated and music stops....

does anyone have any soltuion for this problem.....i looked at the adapters and i am seeing that they're not compatible with 8100....i just feel like throwing this phone into a wall and getting another brand....

thx
    03-25-09 01:07 PM
    I'd like to bump this thread... I have this problem too, and it's so infuriating! Do I really have to buy an adapter? Is there no way to completely disable the external mic input? I never use any external mic or voice dialing for that matter, and would be happy to get rid of both features.
    07-05-10 07:00 PM
    My Bold 9000 too facing the same annoying problem... other than using adapter any more suggestion, i've tried using extension 3.5 to 3.5 extension cable to connect to AUX in for my audio system but it still has the same problem... and like the 1st post of this threat it doesn't happen everytime, but when it happens, sometime it restarts the whole phone...
    09-08-10 11:12 PM
    i'M ALSO HAVING THIS PROBLEM.....BUT I'M USING A BLUETOOTH HEADSET.
    09-09-10 12:05 AM
    Two words..."Headset Blocker" find in playh store.. It realty fixed this issue which was bothering me for almost 6 months
    09-14-14 04:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD