My file free space goes from 19xxxxxx to 33xxxxxx
    I have more memory because of a reset?
    03-24-09 09:48 AM
    That's right. Over time memory gets fragmented and small chunks get lost. Depending on the OS version these "leaks" can be severe. Poorly writtn apps and themes cause leaks as well. Rebooting your BB reloads everything into memory in consecutive orderan freeing up space.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 09:54 AM
    Kinda like defragging a computer, only it takes less time.

03-24-09 09:58 AM
    Battery pulls are like manna from Heaven. LOL!

Rebooting frees up a lot of memory along with cleaning out your BB browser's cookies, history, pushed content, etc. I am always amazed at how much memory that frees up.

03-24-09 09:58 AM
    They're like chicken soup for your BB

03-24-09 10:00 AM
    Wouldn't using the memory cleanup function have the same effect?
    03-24-09 10:04 AM
    Isnt there an app or some shortcut that does the same thing cause I have a hard case & dont want to pull the battery all the time.
    03-24-09 10:07 AM
    @arronJP alt+rightshift+del
    03-24-09 10:08 AM
    Isnt there an app or some shortcut that does the same thing cause I have a hard case & dont want to pull the battery all the time.
    Yes. Quickpull can do this. I use it on my Curve with no problems whatsoever.

I'm a newb here so the forum won't let me post links, but if you just do a search, you'll find it easy enough.
    03-24-09 10:15 AM
    Yeah, it clears up a lot of memory on phones. Especially if you have not done a battery pull in some time. I have Quickpull on my phone, and it is set to reset my phone everday around noon.
    03-24-09 10:18 AM
    QuickPull simulates a battery pull. It's free and available at the CB store. The memory cleaner in security optios doesn't deal with memory leaks. Only a reboot will.

03-24-09 10:19 AM
    thanks for the Quickpull recommendation!
    03-24-09 10:49 AM
    Why go thrigh all that when alt+rightshift+del works? That's what I do.

03-24-09 11:11 AM
    That's one way to say it, the other would be:
    Why go through key combos when one click on an icon will do it.
    Last edited by TheLiveSoundGuy; 03-24-09 at 12:12 PM. Reason: spelling error
    03-24-09 11:14 AM
    I went and downloaded the quickpull so when I go to use it it says do you want to do a reset now... I click yes then it brings up another icon saying something like it is asking to restart now or restart later, I then clicked later & got a white screen,
    It said the device is required to reset or restart to complete module installation notice 1 of 5???????????
    Then it says rest now or reset later, so I picked now & it seem to do the battery pull anyone else have this message after they click the yes icon to do a battery pull?
    Last edited by AaronJP; 03-24-09 at 11:24 AM.
    03-24-09 11:18 AM
    I went and downloaded the quickpull so when I go to use it it says do you want to do a reset now... I click yes then it brings up another icon saying something like it is asking to restart now or restart later, I then clicked later & got a white screen, once that happened I deleted the file & redownload it and got the same white screen.
    funny, that happened to me too. when i tell it to restart now, it get a white screen. but when i set it to schedule resets, it will reset. i found out that it also resets even if you're in the middle of a phone call. since this has happened, i deleted it. its a great app for the pearl since pearl doesnt have the alt+shift+del shortcut but for curves, i dont find it very useful.
    03-24-09 11:23 AM
    why not atl+shift+del?
    03-24-09 11:27 AM
    funny, that happened to me too. when i tell it to restart now, it get a white screen. but when i set it to schedule resets, it will reset. i found out that it also resets even if you're in the middle of a phone call. since this has happened, i deleted it. its a great app for the pearl since pearl doesnt have the alt+shift+del shortcut but for curves, i dont find it very useful.
    I will try it for a while longer to see if any other mal functions occur, I deleted & reinstalled it, when I did that I can pick that re set now or later, but you should pick now cause if you dont you will get the white screen and have to remove it. and I tried alt shift delete I pushed alt then shift then delete do you have to hold em all down simultansioly? doesnt seem to work.
    03-24-09 11:28 AM
    I went and downloaded the quickpull so when I go to use it it says do you want to do a reset now... I click yes then it brings up another icon saying something like it is asking to restart now or restart later, I then clicked later & got a white screen,
    It said the device is required to reset or restart to complete module installation notice 1 of 5???????????
    Then it says rest now or reset later, so I picked now & it seem to do the battery pull anyone else have this message after they click the yes icon to do a battery pull?

that question/notice is because you uninstalled and it asked you to restart now and you picked no. other apps that you uninstall that require a reboot will have that show up too so its not isolated to just this app.

@thinkamp thats what i'm saying..... alt+shift+del = simple boot w/o the space needed for an app.

also about alt+shift+del.....do it once: soft reset, wait til white screen appears and do it again=hard reset (same as actually pulling battery)

edit:
    @aaron yes, hold alt, then hold right shift, then hit delete.
    03-24-09 11:34 AM
    that question/notice is because you uninstalled and it asked you to restart now and you picked no. other apps that you uninstall that require a reboot will have that show up too so its not isolated to just this app.

@thinkamp thats what i'm saying..... alt+shift+del = simple boot w/o the space needed for an app.

also about alt+shift+del.....do it once: soft reset, wait til white screen appears and do it again=hard reset (same as actually pulling battery)

edit:
    i guess people would rather have to DL something to there phone that is going to take up more space then just take the easy way!
    03-24-09 11:36 AM

edit:
    Tried it, and it worked... thinking I may get rid of this app....
    03-24-09 11:57 AM
    Tried it, and it worked... thinking I may get rid of this app....
    you should the app is kind of usless when you can just hit a few buttons and vola! plus it wont take up any memory!
    03-24-09 12:15 PM
    i find the app pointless if you plan on doing it yourself, it takes just as much time to navigate to the app off the homescreen and select reboot opposed to just hitting the key combo.

The only reason why ive kept QP is because the auto scheduled reboot. I leave my phone on the charger over night, And im usually up at 4:30 gettin in the car or already driving to school by 5am. So i have it set to reboot at 5am when im not using the phone, its usually in my pocket or in the cupholder of my car while Im driving.

Other than that, I just use the combination if for whatever reason i need to reboot.

yes i too get the annoying reminder i will need to restart now or later when i use the app manually. Why does it do that? i never looked into it.
    03-24-09 01:46 PM
    i did that too having scheduled it at like 4am. but one night i was up late talking on the phone when it reboot itself. i figure if this app cant hold off until maybe when i'm off the phone...its not worth it...if anyone schedules it and ur in the middle of soemthing and it boots, you'd be SOL

now, i'm not saying its a bad app...for pearl users its awesome. but for curve owner such as myself.... unnecessary. =]
    03-24-09 01:51 PM
    I do a soft reset 5days a week and a batt pull the other 2 nites....keeps my bb happy! just my .02!

03-24-09 01:53 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD