I heard a rumor that a 4G network is in the work and supposedly very much better than 3G. The speed is close to broadband. Does anyone know? Please chime in. It would be cool to stream live video faster this way. I'm tired of watching Slingbox through 3G that you can't see people's faces sometimes.
    03-22-09 04:20 PM
    Ye 4G is definitely in the works but it won't b up and running for another year to two years so u gotta wait but ye its definitely faster the 3G and is faster then cable so I've heard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-09 04:23 PM
    Whenever something comes out there is always something better already in the works. That's the beuty of technology.

03-22-09 04:28 PM
    You are probably at least 2 phone upgrades away from a reliable (useable) implementation of 4G.

[Edit] noting that the OP is on AT&T which has been unable to provide a fully working 3G network so far... make that 5 phone upgrades.
    Last edited by branta; 03-22-09 at 05:03 PM.
    03-22-09 04:41 PM
    can't wait. Maybe Blackberry will come out with another version of the Bold called 'Bolder'
    03-22-09 04:54 PM
    can't wait. Maybe Blackberry will come out with another version of the Bold called 'Bolder'
    No, it will be "Boulder" in recognition of its status as a big brick on a useless network.
    03-22-09 05:04 PM
    I believe 4G started in Japan already. Meaning we'll probably get it within 3 years at twice the cost

edit:
    Docomo apparently tested their 4g networks successfully over a year ago.
    03-22-09 05:05 PM
    They can get this working but we cant get a decent picture off of youtube without downloading the video...
    03-22-09 06:31 PM
    i know ur not in canada but rogers in canada has rolled out their 3.5 network. its an amazing improvemt, just not many handsets support it yet.

Rogers rolls out 3.5G network - now breathing rarified air | burning the bacon with barrett
    03-22-09 07:10 PM
    With the 2010 Vancouver Olympics approaching, Bell & Telus are working together to build a 4G network by early 2010!
    03-22-09 07:23 PM
    not rogers for the olympics?
    03-22-09 09:10 PM
    Rogers is already testing out 4G in Vancouver for the 2010 Winter Olympics.
    03-22-09 10:05 PM
    There are some 3.5G phones on the US market now, but reliable 4G won't be around until at least 2010, maybe 2011. But 3G just came out just a while ago, don't go getting ahead of yourself.
    03-23-09 08:13 AM
    the uk had 3g 4-5 years ago! i had the first 3g phone!
    couldnt get any signal but hey!!

bout time mobiles had fast internet speed should be something to look forward to!
    03-23-09 03:43 PM
    the uk had 3g 4-5 years ago! i had the first 3g phone!
    couldnt get any signal but hey!!

bout time mobiles had fast internet speed should be something to look forward to!

Yeah, North America is waaaaaaaay behind! LOL.
    03-23-09 09:15 PM
    Sprint has already rolled out there 4G Mobile WiMax since around Sept. in limited markets... they are already in the works of expanding it to several other markets.... as for the Download speeds... maybe a simple Google search would answer that... to tired right now to look....

AT&T and Verizon are both planning on introducing LTE (Long Term Evolution) as there 4G Technology.. sometime around late 2010... there both gonna be using the newly acquired 700MHz spectrum they won at last years auction (May 2008).. the 700MHz spectrum is currently being used for the television we watch today.. with the Digital TV conversion being pushed back.. it also caused delays for both carriers to start using the spectrum....

predicted download speeds are in the area of 50Mbs/sec..

AT&T isn't in such a big rush as Verizon is to start using it... HSPA has capacity of hitting 20+Mbs/sec... they are currently using class 6 HSDPA which has a maximum connection speed of 3.6 Mbs/sec... but we should soon start seeing class 8 which has a maximum connection speed of 7.2Mbs/sec...

as for actual test speeds.... here in Miami we actually have a really good 3G connection... i've managed to hit 2.2Mbs/sec using a BlackJack2... tested with dslreports.com/mspeed .. unfortunately i cannot run the same test on a BB due to "security issues"....
    03-23-09 11:22 PM
    Sprint has already rolled out there 4G Mobile WiMax since around Sept. in limited markets... they are already in the works of expanding it to several other markets.... as for the Download speeds... maybe a simple Google search would answer that... to tired right now to look....

AT&T and Verizon are both planning on introducing LTE (Long Term Evolution) as there 4G Technology.. sometime around late 2010... there both gonna be using the newly acquired 700MHz spectrum they won at last years auction (May 2008).. the 700MHz spectrum is currently being used for the television we watch today.. with the Digital TV conversion being pushed back.. it also caused delays for both carriers to start using the spectrum....

predicted download speeds are in the area of 50Mbs/sec..

AT&T isn't in such a big rush as Verizon is to start using it... HSPA has capacity of hitting 20+Mbs/sec... they are currently using class 6 HSDPA which has a maximum connection speed of 3.6 Mbs/sec... but we should soon start seeing class 8 which has a maximum connection speed of 7.2Mbs/sec...

as for actual test speeds.... here in Miami we actually have a really good 3G connection... i've managed to hit 2.2Mbs/sec using a BlackJack2... tested with dslreports.com/mspeed .. unfortunately i cannot run the same test on a BB due to "security issues"....
    Is VZW's 4G going to be GSM or CDMA? The reason I ask is because I heard somewhere it was going to be GSM.

03-23-09 11:36 PM
    from what i've read, verizon is also going gsm lte like att. sprint is taking the risky move of going wimax. we'll see how it all plays out.
    03-24-09 01:16 AM
    im on 3.5g and its a lot faster than 3g. i did hear 4 is being tested as well as 5 being in the pipeline within the next few years. really though it wont make a big difference. the phones will become more cumbersome (software wise) and apps will need more speed so it all cancels out the benefits of extra speed.
    03-24-09 04:50 AM
    not rogers for the olympics?
    Rogers was not able to get their greedy tentacles on that contract.

"Rogers...the fastest, evilest network in Canada. Period."
    03-24-09 05:32 AM
    I believe 4G started in Japan already. Meaning we'll probably get it within 3 years at twice the cost

edit:
    Docomo apparently tested their 4g networks successfully over a year ago.

from what i heard... Japan has had 4g for a couple of years now
    03-24-09 10:51 AM
    lol @ this!
    03-24-09 10:52 AM
    Whenever something comes out there is always something better already in the works. That's the beuty of technology.

yeah. the rule of thumb on technology is that if you bought something today, then 18 months from now it would be obsolete (or however you spell it) and 50% less than what you paid for it.
    03-24-09 05:55 PM
    from what i've read, verizon is also going gsm lte like att. sprint is taking the risky move of going wimax. we'll see how it all plays out.
    Any idea why they're swotching from CDMA?
    03-25-09 07:48 AM
    Back before i ever owned a blackberry (probably about 6 years ago), i had some bulky ugly brick of a phone and it was 3g, Never had a 3g signal. it had a web browser, i had to get ONLINE to send or receive a SMS. Thank God for RIM.
    03-28-09 01:07 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD