I just bought a slightly used, unlocked storm from ebay planning on using it with my Tmobile service. It arrived completely loose in this crazy thin bag thing. It seemed to be working fine at first but after setting it all up with applications and my info and everything it started freezing like every five minutes and wouldn't let me push buttons. I've never had a blackberry before so I'm really not sure if the problems I am seeing are specific to this phone because it's malfunctional or if it's just new glitches. I decided to send it back, took all my info off of it, and then with all that gone it seemed to be working fine again!

I don't know what to do! Should I send it back or should I keep it?
    03-22-09 01:53 PM
    How many apps did you put on? What apps did you put on? And what OS are you running?
    03-22-09 02:36 PM
    First thing. Do a battery pull if you haven't yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-09 04:30 PM
    Did a battery pull first thing while all my info and sim card were in it with little improvement. It would seem fine for ten minutes then freeze again. Now that I took my sim card out, it's working fine.

The apps that were on it were blackberry messenger, visual voice mail, vz navigator, etc. the default stuff I think,

The apps that I put on it were facebook, myspace, vlingo, aim and google maps. The OS is v4.7.

Also, while my tmobile sim card was in it it said "e &a" over the time instead of tmobile. But, when I put my boyfriends at&t sim card in it, it says At&t over the time. Is the problem that it's just not compatable with tmobile?
    03-22-09 04:43 PM
    My boyfriend just mentioned to me that I only have so much space for applications when I thought that my 8G memory card meant that I could put on as many as I wanted...could the problem be that I put too many on?
    03-22-09 04:58 PM
    My boyfriend just mentioned to me that I only have so much space for applications when I thought that my 8G memory card meant that I could put on as many as I wanted...could the problem be that I put too many on?
    No. Despite fears of using up all the app mem space, I've yet to hear of anyone doing it yet. The 8GB of memory on the card is for media storage. Applications currently aren't allowed to be stored on removeable media for security reasons (according to RIM).

Who'd you buy the phone from on eBay? Someone reputable?

Also to find out the full OS version go to Options -> About. It'll be the 3rd line stating something like "v4.7.0.xxx (Platform x.x.x.xxx)"
    03-22-09 05:51 PM
    If you can.. I would download Desktop Manager (DM) from the Blackberry website.

Here: BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop Software - BlackBerry Software at BlackBerry.com

Install it and sync your BB.. then remove ALL the apps... apps... just apps.. not core stuff... pull the battery again... and start clean.. and see what you can get away with using...

Maybe even try to download/install .109. (not 114.. it's crap)

Also, make sure to change the wallpaper to a picture that is 100kb or less.. putt ALL apps INSIDE folders such as applications, games, set-up... try to get the number of icons on the main screen down to 12 or less... hide every app you don't use... these things DO help marginally with performance...

If you can't get DM.. you can delete apps in options>advanced>applications. Delete them then do a batt pull.. AGAIN.

First thing to go MUST be Vzw Navigator... you can't use it unlocked anyway, and it's a known fzucker of things in general.
    Last edited by jdoc77; 03-22-09 at 06:05 PM.
    03-22-09 06:03 PM
    Okay so the full OS is v44.7.0.75 (Platform 4.0.0.94).

As for the guy I bought it from...he says he's a cell phone dealer. (?)

The phone came with the desktop manager CD and data cable and I think that I did sync it up...

The wallpaper picture is 207.9KB, 360X480

Also, I don't think that there are any apps that aren't in folders. The things that are on the main screen are: Messages, my email, SMS and MMS, Instant Messengers, Contacts, Calendar, Browser, T-Mobile, Media, Clock, Camera, Application Center, Applications, Games, Downloads, Setup, Help, Search, Music, Sounds, Manage Connections, Options, Lock, Power Off.

If I need to move some of these into folders...I don't know how to do it! I know I'm lame...but like I said I've never had a blackberry before
    03-22-09 08:20 PM
    Okay so the full OS is v44.7.0.75 (Platform 4.0.0.94).

As for the guy I bought it from...he says he's a cell phone dealer. (?)

The phone came with the desktop manager CD and data cable and I think that I did sync it up...

The wallpaper picture is 207.9KB, 360X480

Also, I don't think that there are any apps that aren't in folders. The things that are on the main screen are: Messages, my email, SMS and MMS, Instant Messengers, Contacts, Calendar, Browser, T-Mobile, Media, Clock, Camera, Application Center, Applications, Games, Downloads, Setup, Help, Search, Music, Sounds, Manage Connections, Options, Lock, Power Off.

If I need to move some of these into folders...I don't know how to do it! I know I'm lame...but like I said I've never had a blackberry before
    Well first thing first: Don't Panic

My advice to everyone that gets a 'berry. .75 is the last official release from Verizon. Sounds like you don't have any 3rd party applications loaded on your phone. If you haven't been asking "Where did the Facebook app go?" then you haven't tried putting any 3rd party apps on the phone. The rest of my advice
    • Don't bother worrying about App Memory. When you reach the point where you actually have to worry about it, you'll be savy enough to know what to do
    • Don't post in the Rants & Raves forums asking for help. You're likely to be trolled and the people most likely to help rarely enter this no man's land free-for-all. Post in the main Storm forums for help.
    • BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series | CrackBerry.com is a great way t become familiar with Blackberries in general. Great info there, take what information from it that you need

Some people with the .75 OS were plagued by reboots. I wasn't one of them (or perhaps wasn't on the OS long enough to be plagued by them). I don't know what may have made my phone different from those others. If I did, I'd tell you how to avoid them. It's possible you may need to reload the OS (or upgrade to a leaked version). But get a handle on the phone in general before going there.
    03-22-09 08:32 PM
    Alright thank you for your help! I'll see what I can do.
    03-22-09 08:44 PM
    so am i!!!????!!!!??
    03-22-09 08:56 PM
    To move things into folders, just tap the icon.. dont PRESS.. just tap to highlight it, press the Blackberry button (the menu button with the black berry dots on it) ... then press "move to folder" and pick the folder..

Hope it's working now!

Oh and don't listen to Kuroisho.. he's a troublemaker...

KIDDING...
    03-23-09 12:25 AM
    Oh and don't listen to Kuroisho.. he's a troublemaker...

KIDDING...
    Here's a nickel so you can pay attention.

With the forum giving you a blatant hint, how can you not spell my name right?
    03-23-09 12:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD