Here is what I discovered. If I plug in my Verizon 9530 Storm for recharging, the green light blinks and blinks and it never gets past 99% (sometimes 98%) no matter how long I leave it hooked up. However, when it is at this level, if I do a reset using Quickpull, as soon as it comes up again it tells me 100% charged. Then, when I turn it off, the green light is now a STEADY green light. So, I unplug it from the charger (it is still turned off) and let it sit for the night while I sleep. Then, in the morning, I plug it back into the charger. The light is STEADY green. I turn it on and it gets the first e-mails of the day. Then, I unplug it and put it in the holster. I swear, if I don't use the phone it is still at 100% hours and hours later. The memory usage is pretty steady too. Also, the battery drain is reasonable for the usage that I do. BTW, there was one time that I plugged it in, in the morning and the light *was* blinking. Battery usage and memory usage was not good that day. I have resolved that if I plug it in, in the morning and the light blinks I now know to do a Quickpull before unplugging and holstering it.

Also, to those people that say having GPS turned on drains the battery... it does not if you don't have a background program using the GPS. I always have my GPS turned on. Using this technique, if I haven't touched the phone for 5 hours I was still at 100%.
    03-22-09 10:52 AM
    I'm glad to see someone gets good battery life. I get 10 or 11 hours with light use.
    03-22-09 11:11 AM
    I can go a whole day using it like a maniac

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-09 11:20 AM
    Am i supposed to have a green light when i charge my phone?......cause i dont.
    03-22-09 11:28 AM
    I get pretty good battery life too.

I attribute it to:
    Being religious about closing apps via the BB key.

Narrowing my app icons down to 8 on the main screen.

Removing standard apps I know I will never use. (Can always get them back)

GPS set to 911only.

Lowering the back light to 60. (Little visual difference, big battery difference)

Holstering when not in use. (Try this at night)

Battery Pull at least once ever other day but usually daily. (Question: With Quick Pull, will it perform it's function when BB is holstered?)

Using these techniques and with light to med use yesterday I didn't budge from 100% battery life until late in the evening and that came after using the video camera function.

Hope this helps someone.... Oh and by the way I learned of ALL of this tricks right here in this forum.
    03-22-09 11:41 AM
    I get 3-4 days battery life with the extended battery, I used to get 1 day with the OEM battery though.
    03-22-09 11:42 AM
    It really depends on how good the service is in your area. The more bars and time spent in 3G will make the battery last longer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-09 11:46 AM
    I have tons of apps installed. But, my backlight is set to 10% (I think this is very important) and the only program I have "auto-update" is Weatherbug on 30 minute intervals (I like to glance at the icon to know the outside temp before I go out.) My AP news app and Viigo have auto-update turned off. I don't use them every day, and when I use them they can update on-demand.

Be sure to close down apps when you are done. This is also very important.
    03-22-09 11:46 AM
    You have to also remember to turn off bluetooth when it's not in use.
    03-22-09 11:49 AM
    It really depends on how good the service is in your area. The more bars and time spent in 3G will make the battery last longer.
    If you are in 3G does your phone actually say "3G" near signal strength? If it does I've never seen this and I live in a pretty urban area close to NYC.
    03-22-09 01:18 PM
    Here is what I discovered. If I plug in my Verizon 9530 Storm for recharging, the green light blinks and blinks and it never gets past 99% (sometimes 98%) no matter how long I leave it hooked up. However, when it is at this level, if I do a reset using Quickpull, as soon as it comes up again it tells me 100% charged. Then, when I turn it off, the green light is now a STEADY green light. So, I unplug it from the charger (it is still turned off) and let it sit for the night while I sleep. Then, in the morning, I plug it back into the charger. The light is STEADY green. I turn it on and it gets the first e-mails of the day. Then, I unplug it and put it in the holster. I swear, if I don't use the phone it is still at 100% hours and hours later. The memory usage is pretty steady too. Also, the battery drain is reasonable for the usage that I do. BTW, there was one time that I plugged it in, in the morning and the light *was* blinking. Battery usage and memory usage was not good that day. I have resolved that if I plug it in, in the morning and the light blinks I now know to do a Quickpull before unplugging and holstering it.
    Before going to bed stand on your left foot with your right foot 6 3/8" inches above the floor, plug in the wall charger using your right hand while holding your Storm against your left ear. In the morning reverse this procedure when unplugging your phone. This will make your battery life just as good as the procedure described above, I guarantee it. LMAO

What you are doing is just playing with the charge indicator which isn't perfect on the Storm and has nothing to do with the amount of life your battery has, although doing a Quickpull may help battery life by closing any programs you might have running in the background.
    03-22-09 01:39 PM
    If you are in 3G does your phone actually say "3G" near signal strength? If it does I've never seen this and I live in a pretty urban area close to NYC.
    On Verizon, 1XEV (with caps) is the same as 3G
    03-22-09 06:43 PM
    On Verizon, 1XEV (with caps) is the same as 3G
    Thanks cdowner.

1XEV I see just about all the time. I'm now an even happier BB camper.
    03-22-09 09:50 PM
    If you have GREAT cell coverage, your battery lasts longer then spotty service. If your service is lacking.. yoru phone is ALWAYS looking for signal.
    03-22-09 09:58 PM
    It only works if the phone is turned off on mine.
    03-22-09 10:30 PM
    the LEDs only come on when the phone is off.
    03-22-09 10:58 PM
    seriously though. if blackberry wasnt so occaisionally ******** they wouldve fixxed all these issues before they put it on the market. nevermind the mindless and substandard os they sent out, but all the other problems on top of that. my battery life is less than a day on average usage. this is horrible. i wish telus had the iphone.

btw, why are we charged outragiously high prices for all the 3rd party apps? itunes is way cheaper and way more reliable.

dont get me wrong im just mad that my blackberry is not what i was epecting. i was expecting quality..... not this junk.

dennis
    03-22-09 11:39 PM
    Before going to bed stand on your left foot with your right foot 6 3/8" inches above the floor, plug in the wall charger using your right hand while holding your Storm against your left ear. In the morning reverse this procedure when unplugging your phone. This will make your battery life just as good as the procedure described above, I guarantee it. LMAO

What you are doing is just playing with the charge indicator which isn't perfect on the Storm and has nothing to do with the amount of life your battery has, although doing a Quickpull may help battery life by closing any programs you might have running in the background.
    No, before discovering the procedure above, a simple QuickPull did not give these kind of results. I used to run QuickPull BEFORE charging it, and I did this for WEEKS. Things changed for the better when I started to let it charge up FIRST before doing the QuickPull. It is almost as if charging up the phone FIRST is avoiding the starting of some hidden task running in the background after the restart. I have no proof since I don't know the internals of the OS, but that would be the only plausible thing that would be draining the battery otherwise.
    03-22-09 11:46 PM

Also, to those people that say having GPS turned on drains the battery... it does not if you don't have a background program using the GPS. I always have my GPS turned on. Using this technique, if I haven't touched the phone for 5 hours I was still at 100%.

I attribute it to:
    Being religious about closing apps via the BB key.

Removing standard apps I know I will never use. (Can always get them back)

GPS set to 911only.

Lowering the back light to 60. (Little visual difference, big battery difference)

Holstering when not in use. (Try this at night)

Battery Pull at least once ever other day but usually daily. (Question: With Quick Pull, will it perform it's function when BB is holstered?)

Using these techniques and with light to med use yesterday I didn't budge from 100% battery life until late in the evening and that came after using the video camera function.

Hope this helps someone.... Oh and by the way I learned of ALL of this tricks right here in this forum.
    Kudos, WHSingleton, on starting a valuable thread... alot of good tips from the both of you
    03-22-09 11:57 PM
    seriously though. if blackberry wasnt so occaisionally ******** they wouldve fixxed all these issues before they put it on the market. nevermind the mindless and substandard os they sent out, but all the other problems on top of that. my battery life is less than a day on average usage. this is horrible. i wish telus had the iphone.

btw, why are we charged outragiously high prices for all the 3rd party apps? itunes is way cheaper and way more reliable.

dont get me wrong im just mad that my blackberry is not what i was epecting. i was expecting quality..... not this junk.

dennis
    I have things pretty stable now, but I agree that all of these "tricks" should not be required. I'll be patient and give them time to fix things, however I'm going to also be realistic. Not because they deserve it, but because it works for me. However, if they don't fix these problems I'll think about re-evaluating my choice after a while. The one thing that irks me more than anything else right now is the limited memory on this thing for apps. There is no excuse for only having 128 megs (of which most is taken up by the O/S.) And on top of it, their answer is "who runs all of those apps anyway?", and "you can just re-download them from app world when you want them". That's like saying "just let them eat cake." There are a lot of apps that are (and will be when they are written) helpful tools that you just want to be there when you need them. With gigs and gigs of storage, they should be on the ready.
    03-22-09 11:58 PM
    Here's what I've done:

- Deleted apps I know I won't use (VZNavigator)
    - Won't keep apps I know are battery-killers/memory hogs (Weatherbug)
    - Backlight set to 10% (Which is plenty bright, trust me)
    - GPS set to always-on
    - Always CLOSE apps rather than leaving them running in the background

On a normal business day I'll do the following:

- Spend 40 minutes in the car using the Jabra Bluetooth speakerphone to blast music from my Storm over the car radio driving to the office
    - Send/receive approximately 20-50 e-mails, depending on the day
    - Spend approximately 45 minutes to an hour of constant use on the phone driving home
    - Send/receive approximately 5-10 SMS/MMS messages, depending on the day
    - Spend around 10-20 minutes on the internet and/or AP Mobile News app

After which my battery is generally still at around 75% remaining.

I've had weekends go by where I've started out Friday around 12pm with a fully-charged Storm and still had around 30% battery left at 1am Monday.
    03-23-09 01:41 AM
    No, before discovering the procedure above, a simple QuickPull did not give these kind of results. I used to run QuickPull BEFORE charging it, and I did this for WEEKS. Things changed for the better when I started to let it charge up FIRST before doing the QuickPull. It is almost as if charging up the phone FIRST is avoiding the starting of some hidden task running in the background after the restart. I have no proof since I don't know the internals of the OS, but that would be the only plausible thing that would be draining the battery otherwise.
    yea i've found the same personally... i don't know exactly why, but i believe that charging opens up some program or another... quickpull before charge generally leads to my battery running out faster than normal while quickpull after charge generally leads to my battery lasting longer... like mentioned above, it's a little hoakie, but it works for me...
    03-23-09 02:40 AM
    I just upgraded to .133. Everything seems to be running faster but after two days of bliss, my battery life has now significantly deteriorated. After 5 hours I am down to 20%! I have tried different batteries with the same result. I have redone the VZW software (*228,1) and done several battery pulls with no change. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    04-26-09 12:07 PM

GPS set to 911only.

Does it matter if there are more than 8 but that they're hidden, or must they be completely moved or deleted from the home screen?

I have my backlight set to 40, and it works great. Saves me battery life big time.
    04-26-09 12:16 PM

""And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it." Amen.""

Come on... Just turn off your phone. Charge it. And unplug it in the morning and go. Sometimes I go two or three days between doing this.
    I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wait until the battery is down to 10% or less before charging and I ALWAYS turn off the phone while charging and I haven't had any problems.

But no matter how you do it. The point is... don't make it a religion. Just do it. And if it works for you great! And if something else works better for someone else, than good for them!
    04-26-09 02:13 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD