I read alot of books and being able to keep them on my card on my BB makes it easy to read whenever I have a moment with out carrying a bag around all the time. I used to be a treo lover (I know...boo ). The most popular program for ebooks on the PALM os is ereader.com client. On the Blackberry it is mobipocket. When new books come out ereader.com is alot cheaper than mobipocket in fact sometimes mobipocket is more expensive then the paper book because there is no discount. I am considering buying a iTouch and use it with Kindle to get their new releases for 9.95 deal. Anyone have any thoughts.
    Last edited by gtoatley; 03-21-09 at 05:00 PM. Reason: spelling
    03-21-09 04:58 PM
    I see the ereader beta app, but I am still wondering if i should go with the iTouch / Kindle combination.
    03-21-09 05:12 PM
    One of the nice things, IMO, about Mobipocket is that it uses .prc files just like the Palm. When I moved over from my treo to my curve I was actually able to just transfer my books over too. You can also download Mobi Creator and use it to convert many file types over for Mobipocket. There are also converters for .lit files so that you can convert them too.

If you do a search on google there are also plenty of places that offer free ebooks. There are also libraries that offer ebooks online now too. I have been using a Palm or Blackberry device for the last 9 years and I have only bought about 5 books in that time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-09 06:20 PM
    Where does one find all of these free books?
    03-21-09 07:02 PM
    Google "free ebooks".

03-21-09 07:33 PM
    I read alot of books and being able to keep them on my card on my BB makes it easy to read whenever I have a moment with out carrying a bag around all the time. I used to be a treo lover (I know...boo ). The most popular program for ebooks on the PALM os is ereader.com client. On the Blackberry it is mobipocket. When new books come out ereader.com is alot cheaper than mobipocket in fact sometimes mobipocket is more expensive then the paper book because there is no discount. I am considering buying a iTouch and use it with Kindle to get their new releases for 9.95 deal. Anyone have any thoughts.
    There's the ereader.com reader, MobiReader and shortbooks. It's been suggested that there will be a Kindle app for the BB. As for if/when we will see it, who knows...
    03-21-09 10:05 PM
    Fictionwise has a good selection and you earn a percentage back in rebates toward future purchases. Compare their prices to mobipocket.
    Also, if you go to the menu of your mobireader app, and choose accounts, it will load all of the sites that you can puchase books at for mobipocket. Go to the sites via your browser. Many of them have free ebooks

03-22-09 12:11 AM
    I installed ereader but everytime I try to load the store through it I get an unknown error has occured message.

03-22-09 04:31 AM
    Google "free ebooks".

Yes, I know that. Thanks. But being a complete BB newb I'm not sure what sites are legit, what sites are a waste of time, etc. Before I got my BB, I've never had a phone that could text, let alone play games, run apps and surf the net.

I downloaded the mobi programs but I'm completely lost on how to use them. I'm just getting really frustrated at this point as the more I try to find out about using my BB to its fullest potential, the more people just treat me like I'm some jack@$$ wasting their time and reply with "Google (insert subject here)" and it really doesn't do much to help.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone with my little diatribe but I'm here looking for help, not trying to be sold on google.
    03-22-09 07:44 AM
    mobipocket reads the pdb files just fine. I just uninstalled mobipocket simply because the books I'm currently reading are all pdf.
    03-22-09 08:21 AM
    I downloaded the mobi programs but I'm completely lost on how to use them. I'm just getting really frustrated at this point as the more I try to find out about using my BB to its fullest potential, the more people just treat me like I'm some jack@$$ wasting their time and reply with "Google (insert subject here)" and it really doesn't do much to help.

I'm assuming that mobipocket does work and you can read the sample book.

Go to the options area and see what folder it is using on your memory card (or set a folder if none are set already). Connect your BB to your computer and go into mass storage mode. Copy the pdb files to that folder. Done.
    03-22-09 08:23 AM
    If you are used to the eReader software, go to ebooks for your iPhone, Windows Mobile Pocket PC and Smartphone, Palm Treo and Centro or Symbian Mobile Phones - Over 60,000 Titles and counting! and download the beta version for BlackBerry. The only downside I have to 1.0.24 is that there isn't a way to fully exit the program without a battery pull (they are aware of this an plan to address it in the next release). With the eReader program on your BB, you would be able to read any books you purchased previously. You just have to store them in the \eReader folder on your SD card.

I also use MobiPocket. I've been using MobiPocket for years (even back on my Casio BE300 and Dell Axim). All I ever had to do was switch the device ID on their website and re-download to get previously purchased ebooks over to my BB. You should store MobiPocket ebooks in the \eBooks folder on your SD card. If you use the PC version of Mobipocket to transfer books to your BB, it should put them there automatically.

I also agree that Fictionwise.com is a good place to look for ebooks. You can find better pricing there, as well as discounts and rebates (good towards other books). I read a lot, so I joined their book clud and have already purchased some ebooks for free, using the rebates. You can get books in MobiPocket or eReader formats from Fictionwise.
    03-22-09 08:50 AM
    Those looking for free ebooks may want to try some of the following sites.

Free-ebooks.net | Download free Fiction, Marketing,electronic publishing ebooks
    Main Page - Gutenberg
    Planet PDF - Free PDF eBooks
    Free ebooks
    Download Free Ebooks
    ManyBooks.net - Free eBooks for your PDA, iPhone, or eBook Reader
    Free PDF Search Engine
    Fiction books

Most of these sites will offer the books in .pdf, .doc, .html or .lit file formats. You can use the Mobi pockets desktop software to convert/import .pdf, .doc or .html files and send them to your Blackberry. The desktop software is found here:

Mobipocket ebook Reader

If you find a book in .lit and you want to read it, use one of the programs found here:
    Convert LIT.com
    Free download ABC Amber LIT Convertor, convert MS Reader to PDF, HTML, CHM, HLP, RTF, DOC, TXT documents

This will convert it so that you can import it with Mobi Pocket and send it to your Blackberry.

For those that want to build their own ebooks or want to customize and existing ebook in pdf, doc, lit or html formats can try the Mobi Pocket Creator. I have done this with a few books that I just insisted on having covers for. Mobipocket eBook Creator

BTW, with using most of the software listed above it is a good idea to read the instructions unless you are ready for trial and error with a healthy dose of 4 letter words. The help files and instructions are very good on this stuff and can really help.
    03-23-09 12:04 PM
    Use wattpad.com best place over thousands of books and all free

03-23-09 07:07 PM
    Big huge vote for wattpad.com. A lot of free major books.

03-23-09 08:00 PM
    says insufficient space
    03-26-09 12:31 AM
    MobiPocket takes up about 460k, eReader requires at least 1MB of space. You might want to check your available free memory to see if you have enough space to install.

Also, try a battery pull to see if that will free up enough memory to install.
    03-26-09 07:35 AM
    ereader has been updated to 1.0.25. hit up eReader.com: Mobile Site Home from your BB.
    03-26-09 09:09 AM
    mobipocket reads the pdb files just fine. I just uninstalled mobipocket simply because the books I'm currently reading are all pdf.
    I just installed mobipocket based on this but unfortunately it won't read the books I have in .pdb format. It may though be that ereader books are protected and you need to enter a key in order for the app to read it.

I also noticed that the beta for the Bold does not shut down when you close the program, just as the ereader beta fails to do.
    03-26-09 10:10 AM
    Mobipocket is designed to be running so it is available for syncing operations.
    03-27-09 12:01 PM
    i dont know, as amazing as my bold is, i dont know if i could stand reading an entire book on that screen.

i would rather get the kindle for my long term reading...
    03-29-09 09:25 AM
    I did not mean mean to offend with my "google free ebooks" response. The problem is that I have no idea what you are looking for so Google is really your only option. If you are into Sci-Fi you can check Manybooks.net. There are free ebooks out there on many sites, but you have to look for them.

I recently installed ereader on my BB and they have a link in their store called "free ebooks" which gives you a pretty good list of free stuff. It seems to be the best listing of free ebooks at any online ebook store that I have seen so far. You have to set up an account on the website where you can "purchase" books, even the free ones, and then log in using the ereader software on you BB and access the books. It works well enough.

However, if you are using Mobi, you might be better off to google free mobi books or something like that. It is a common format and there are literally thousands of titles out there, unfortunately, there isn't one site that houses them all.

I hope that was a better response, but really, Google is your friend.

Now, if there was a reliable way to convert pdf documents to mobi I would be in heaven. Unfortunately, many free ebooks are in pdf format and there really isn't anything you can do with those that works well enough.
    Last edited by jmlowes; 03-29-09 at 09:37 PM.
    03-29-09 09:33 PM
    I just installed mobipocket based on this but unfortunately it won't read the books I have in .pdb format. It may though be that ereader books are protected and you need to enter a key in order for the app to read it.

I also noticed that the beta for the Bold does not shut down when you close the program, just as the ereader beta fails to do.
    Mobi Pocket reads .prc files.
    03-30-09 08:59 AM
    I did not mean mean to offend with my "google free ebooks" response. The problem is that I have no idea what you are looking for so Google is really your only option. If you are into Sci-Fi you can check Manybooks.net. There are free ebooks out there on many sites, but you have to look for them.

I recently installed ereader on my BB and they have a link in their store called "free ebooks" which gives you a pretty good list of free stuff. It seems to be the best listing of free ebooks at any online ebook store that I have seen so far. You have to set up an account on the website where you can "purchase" books, even the free ones, and then log in using the ereader software on you BB and access the books. It works well enough.

However, if you are using Mobi, you might be better off to google free mobi books or something like that. It is a common format and there are literally thousands of titles out there, unfortunately, there isn't one site that houses them all.

I hope that was a better response, but really, Google is your friend.

Now, if there was a reliable way to convert pdf documents to mobi I would be in heaven. Unfortunately, many free ebooks are in pdf format and there really isn't anything you can do with those that works well enough.
    Try re-reading my post. http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/ebo...2/#post2048277
    03-30-09 08:59 AM
    Definitely read roeod4's thread. There is a PC utility for converting PDF to PRC (mobipocket format).

Mobipocket continues to run in the boackground so it can synchronize ebooks and annotations with your PC version. You can fully shut it down by pressing Shift-Q.
    03-30-09 09:11 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD