I just made the switch from my 8830 and picked up my Storm.

Could use some help (or if you can link me to appropriate threads, it would be most appreciated).

My main question is this:

- I backed up my 8830 on my computer. At the Telus (my service provider) store, the guy told me that if I still had my 8830, it would be smarter to use the Device Switch software and put the data on my new Storm that way. My question is if my current desktop manager (that i installed with 8830) has this device switch program or if I have to download it from somewhere or from my new Storm software CD? Then will it ask me to back-up the data from 8830 again using my old sync cord and then put it back into my Storm using my new sync cord? Any advice would be appreciated.

- He also suggested that I download the new software from the blackberry site. How do I do this? Go to the blackberry site and get latest update? After I download it onto computer, do I run the desktop manager and it will automatically find it?

- Finally, how do I turn off that annoying 'suggested word' thing when I am typing an email.

Thanks to anyone who can help and for any tips as I try to get used to what-to-me, seems like a pretty complicated phone!
    03-20-09 12:32 AM
    Can anyone help?
    03-20-09 03:09 AM
    The storm is my first blackberry device. So unfortunately I am unable to offer any advice. Have you tried searching the knowledgebase on blackberry.com?
    03-20-09 03:27 AM
    #1) use the device switch wizard in the DM that you use for the Storm.

#2) the updated software you download from blackberry.net is in the form of an executable file. So yes, you have to install it and then run DM. Unless you want to mess with beta OS's, your best bet is to get the "official" OS that's released by your carrier (Telus, in this case).

#3a) bb> options> spell check. uncheck "check spelling as you type" and "auto correction". bb> save.

#3b) bb> options> language> edit input language options> uncheck auto correction. bb> save.

the problem isn't that the phone is complicated... it's that people think it's complicated so they over-analyze it.
    03-20-09 04:03 AM
    Had the Storm for about three months now and enjoying it with a hybrid .114 OS. To answer your question, use the software cd to load the necessary desktop manager, then let it check for an update to the DM software. Then run the device switch wizard from there. It should be no problem. The typing thing can come in handy, but I agree is a bit annoying at times. All I can say is that once you get used to typing on the Storm, you won't have any more problems with it. I think there is a free typing tutor app for the Storm to help people get accustomed.
    If I were you, I would upgrade to the bbcrackman hybrid .114. It runs better than any official OS out there. Be warned though, it is not supported by any wireless carrier, so if something goes wrong with your phone, they will probably deny you any tech help. If you read through here and CB, you can find help or solutions to just about any problem that has to do with software. The users here are truly knowledgeable about BBs.

Good luck. I am on here daily, so PM me if you want specific help and I will try to help.
    03-20-09 04:06 AM
    I just made the switch from my 8830 and picked up my Storm.

Could use some help (or if you can link me to appropriate threads, it would be most appreciated).

My main question is this:

- I backed up my 8830 on my computer. At the Telus (my service provider) store, the guy told me that if I still had my 8830, it would be smarter to use the Device Switch software and put the data on my new Storm that way. My question is if my current desktop manager (that i installed with 8830) has this device switch program or if I have to download it from somewhere or from my new Storm software CD? Then will it ask me to back-up the data from 8830 again using my old sync cord and then put it back into my Storm using my new sync cord? Any advice would be appreciated.

- He also suggested that I download the new software from the blackberry site. How do I do this? Go to the blackberry site and get latest update? After I download it onto computer, do I run the desktop manager and it will automatically find it?

storm software should have the new desktop manager 4.7 if not you can dl directly from rim. use the device switch software. i believe you can attach both via usb simultaneously. just select which device you're backing up and transferring to.

- Finally, how do I turn off that annoying 'suggested word' thing when I am typing an email.

options>spell check>uncheck "auto correction" also options>sms text>"disable autotext"=yes

Thanks to anyone who can help and for any tips as I try to get used to what-to-me, seems like a pretty complicated phone!
    have fun with your new storm!
    03-20-09 04:13 AM
    I don't even know how to backup my contacts, photos, apps, on my storm...much less, upgrade to 4.7.0.114 hybrid by bbcrackman. I have 4.7.0.75. How do I upgrade from this stage?

I'm a total newbie
    03-20-09 10:11 AM
    im a noob on the upgrading to .114, i want to do it but i dont know why i want to because i dont know what the difference is?
    03-20-09 11:07 AM
    Follow this link and you will/should find everything you need for upgrading your OS. If not, that's the place to ask.

forums.crackberry.com/f132/
    03-20-09 11:36 AM
    im a noob on the upgrading to .114, i want to do it but i dont know why i want to because i dont know what the difference is?
    I would suggest the .114 hybrid, as opposed to the straight .114.
    03-20-09 11:55 AM
    Update for you all

After running the device wizard, I got that 507 error.

Storm was completely messed up with the error. Telus told me to install new version of desktop manager and try to reload software but the computer wouldn't recognize the storm when I plugged it in (strange because it initially seemed to work like a charm when I started running the switch device wizard).

Anyway, Telus is giving me new Storm on monday. I have decided that I am not running the switch device wizard. I am just going to restore my old 8830 data.

Will this work?
    03-22-09 05:01 AM
    I would suggest the .114 hybrid, as opposed to the straight .114.
    yea me to get the .114 hybrid
    03-22-09 05:38 AM
    bump, will just an old restore work?
    03-22-09 05:18 PM
    bump, will just an old restore work?
    murtz,

I'm on telus as well, they're pretty good to deal with...you'll have no trouble getting the new phone.

If you're not comfortable upgrading OS's, don't try the beta upgrades. .75 is likely the most up to date official release for your phone, although I'm telus as well and .76 was what came on my phone when I got it. That version worked fine for me for the most part, although I've now upgraded to the .109 beta. with .109 you don't need to mess with any hybrids.

To turn off the auto correct feature go options, spell check, then uncheck the auto correction box, then save. Leave the check spelling as you type box checked, that way you get all your spelling errors underlined. If you choose to look back at your email when you're done typing, you can click on each underlined word and be presented with the phone's best guess at what you meant to type.

I came from a windows mobile phone about 3 weeks ago to my storm, so I'm not an expert yet, but it does get alot easier to type over time. If you're a fast typist you might also want to change the speed intervals in the screen/keyboard options menu. I found the basic settings too slow for my typing speed once I got used to the keyboard.
    03-22-09 06:20 PM
    Thanks for the tip.

My main question though is referring to restoring my saved .ipd backup file from my old 8830.

The guy at the store suggested i use the switch device wizard and this is what messed up my first Storm.

This time, I want to just do a normal 'RESTORE' of my back-up .ipd file. This will work right? I don't have to run the switch device wizard?

Thanks
    03-23-09 02:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD