I just got a bold and really don't like that the bezel is fake metal! So I was thinking about blacking it out. I have read that the sliverish metal shine is paint and some people just wet sand the paint off but I was curious if the dye that is used for the trackballs will bind to the bezel if I dye it??? I have read in forums that the dye has been used on lacrosse heads and rc/dirtbike parts so I was thinking it would work.
    Any opinions would be appreciated!
    03-18-09 09:54 PM
    Why not just take the silver off the bezel, use like a plastic scrubby and it'll be black. I wouldn't think a dye would stick to a silvery slick finish like the bezel.

Whatever you do, post directions on how you did and pics in case someone else wants to try
    03-18-09 09:57 PM
    No it will not. If it is the same as the "chrome" applied to the trackball ring on the Curve series, only with a brushed finish, which I am not sure it is, you should be able to just soak it in some sort of really strong cleaner for a while and then rub the finish off and underneath it will be black. I have been trying myself to get a buddy that does a lot of CAD work with CNC machines to make me a Ti case that I can anodize whatever color I want. Will probably be a while though.
    03-18-09 09:59 PM
    I have no idea but I am really curious if it works.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-09 09:59 PM
    Just to clear this up. I was first going to wetsand the bezel and then dye it black even though I know the plastic is black I was just hoping for a more finished look.
    03-18-09 10:03 PM
    why not just grab some black spray paint for plastics and spray it!
    03-18-09 10:51 PM
    I have done that with electronics in the past. I was just looking for a flat color and hoping to not worry about chipping.
    03-18-09 10:53 PM
    why not just grab some black spray paint for plastics and spray it!
    or even better, why not just leave it alone?
    03-18-09 10:54 PM
    I think black with a red or blue flake would be pretty cool. I'm working on a design with Jade metallic and gold filigree for a friend of mine. Diamond etching with inlay on the lens in green and gold, also.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-09 10:56 PM
    Haha I wish. I just have an itch to take my electronics apart and make them at least a bit different then the norm. From gaming consoles to phones I have even been thinking about painting my kindle black. At least the housing leaving a zebra effect, I have seen a few macbooks like that (black housing, white keys and buttons). Come to think of it I think I will pretty soon lol!!!
    03-18-09 10:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD