Hey everyone, I found a used Blackberry Curve 8900 on Craigslist. I was thinking of getting it for my gf since she wants one.

Please go easy on me as i just recently got my first Blackberry (brand new from store) and don't know too much about them especially when trying to buy used.

Now here is what I know:

- the seller is local to me
    - seller stated that it's like new, only used for a little bit
    - the phone will only come with charger and earphones/mic. I asked about the leather holster, USB data cable, and software installation CD...still waiting to hear back
    - i asked for the PIN number and seller states that it has no PIN number yet and that I can set it when I get the phone. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the PIN number was something that is there and you don't "set it"...?

if i decide to take the chance, i'm going to ask for the PIN number again and will ask him to meet me in a T-Mobile store so I can test everything.

is there anything i should look out for?

also, if i put my SIM card into the seller's Blackberry and I'm able to make calls and use data such as browsing the Internet, then can I assume the phone is OK? if not, what other data tests can i perform?
    03-18-09 02:37 PM
    the pin number can be found under options>status
    i would also ask for the imei which is found in the same place
    03-18-09 02:39 PM
    craigslist sellers are so sketchy, why don't you buy it from the marketplace on this forum?
    03-18-09 02:39 PM
    The PIN is absolutely on the device. I would ask for that and the IMEI if I were you and then verify that they are not blocked. Your carrier may be able to find this out for you, so give them a call once you find out. If he won't give you these numbers then do not buy the phone.
    03-18-09 02:43 PM
    Make sure the trackball is white and not black
    03-18-09 02:46 PM
    The PIN is absolutely on the device. I would ask for that and the IMEI if I were you and then verify that they are not blocked. Your carrier may be able to find this out for you, so give them a call once you find out. If he won't give you these numbers then do not buy the phone.
    Im with Ari on this one, cause that seller sounds sketchy bro. If its local, see if he would let you check it out in a public place. Also, seeing as how this phone officially came out last month, he should have all the accesories even the box. sounds stolen. just get the IMEI number like Ari said and call TMO and tell tem whats youre trying to do and make sure it isnt stolen
    03-18-09 02:47 PM
    What are you even talking about? The trackball on the 8900 is not white.
    03-18-09 02:49 PM
    What are you even talking about? The trackball on the 8900 is not white.
    Sorry, make sure its black, not white

someone else on this forum got a white one, which was a production device.
    03-18-09 02:50 PM

ahhh good. i knew that the PIN is something that's readily available.

thanks for confirming my suspicions! i e-mailed seller asking for both PIN and IMEI...waiting to see if seller will reply, but i'm not keeping my hopes up.

Thanks everyone!
    03-18-09 02:51 PM
    LOL white trackballs, thing of the past!

Heres my advice - DON'T buy it.
    03-18-09 02:51 PM
    how much do you plan to get this "used phone for?"
    I can get order you a brand new [sealed] one , PM me.

--> ask Seller for pictures (with a tag--> either his name , email ect.)

-> I have a used one if you'd like too
    03-18-09 03:28 PM
    why should trackball be white?????
    03-18-09 03:38 PM
    The early prototype 8900 had a white track ball. Some people have sold them on CL and freaked end users out...
    03-18-09 03:41 PM
    If I were you, I will not buy used, its not worth the hustle at all. And yes the PIN is made/assigned with the device.
    03-19-09 12:44 AM
    Sorry, make sure its black, not white

someone else on this forum got a white one, which was a production device.
    dang you scared me a for a second.

I bought my off craigslist.. I think if you know your product well enough and you're not a bonehead.. then you'll be able to quickly verify if the phone is junk or not.
    03-19-09 12:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD