Is it possible to change the bootup image that displays the T-Mobile logo right after the device loads?
    03-18-09 05:38 AM
    Not that I've heard of... this is controlled by the cell phone carrier... as it should be.
    03-18-09 06:00 AM
    It is possible and called "Debranding". It is done with software I don't recommend unless you are very familiar with the BB platform. I don't think you can change or customize it, but you can remove it.
    03-18-09 06:03 AM
    That would be nice to be able to remove it
    03-18-09 07:29 AM
    Taylor is right you can debrand it and yes you can actually customize it, but that is a very very lengthy process and like he said you need to know the bb platform cause if not it will be bricked and pretty dead for good
    03-18-09 07:40 AM
    someone figure it out and post instructions.. yah??
    03-18-09 11:05 AM
    Doesn't the app used to de-brand not work with the 8900 right now anyway?
    03-18-09 11:07 AM
    you dont really need to know the BB platform if you have instructions and follow them exactly. It should work the same on every device
    03-18-09 11:29 AM
    Interesting, I didn't realize it was possible and am now intrigued--i always enjoyed making WM devices boot up with various carrier logos or cool pictures. Can anyone point or link me to this application and the instructions you are referencing? Thanks.
    03-18-09 11:35 AM
    The software used to do this is not available commercially, crackberry forum moderators rightly consider it "warez". Directing anyone to it is strictly prohibited by forum policy. Please read this post, especially the part that says:

Keep it Legal
    No posting of Warez in the forums, such as links to download warez, instructions on "cracking" software, or "workarounds" that enable people to utilize for-pay services without paying. Posting this kind of content can result in an immediate and permanent ban. These kinds of activities can get CrackBerry.com in trouble, and nobody wants that, so just don't do it.

Google a bit and you will find it. You will not find it on this site.
    03-18-09 11:35 AM
    Thanks for the warning... but I don't think anyone was going to give out the instructions

Looked like more of a discussion to me
    03-18-09 11:37 AM
    The software used to do this is not available commercially, crackberry forum moderators rightly consider it "warez". Directing anyone to it is strictly prohibited by forum policy. Please read this post, especially the part that says:

Keep it Legal
    No posting of Warez in the forums, such as links to download warez, instructions on "cracking" software, or "workarounds" that enable people to utilize for-pay services without paying. Posting this kind of content can result in an immediate and permanent ban. These kinds of activities can get CrackBerry.com in trouble, and nobody wants that, so just don't do it.

Google a bit and you will find it. You will not find it on this site.
    lol.. What keywords should i google??
    03-18-09 11:38 AM
    lol, ok this must involve "hacking" or altering RIM's proprietary OS that is protected by patents/copyrights etc and is therefore technically illegal? I was just surprised that it was considered "warez" but i realize your reasoning is because the software isn't available commercially so that makes sense.

I thought it was more along the lines of a simple/fun tweak like buzzme--having your BB vibrate and ring at the same time. out of the box it does not do this but applying that program is not considered warez.

anyways, we don't have to talk about it since I don't want to break the rules!
    03-18-09 12:24 PM
    You should be able to do this if you own the phone... doesn't make much since to me
    03-18-09 12:30 PM
    It is hacking the phone. This program will change the "brand" (vendor id) of your device. Keep in mind that doing this has its downfalls as well. Instead of just changing your boot up splash screen you also get un wanted changes as well. Some carrier specific things will no longer work after you do this such as MyFavs, etc.
    03-18-09 12:37 PM
    aha, very informative aristile. So, in order to change to a custom splash screen do you have to make it a null/non-existent vendor id? And, just changing the vendor id wouldn't necessarily change the splash screen right? i.e. if you had a t-mo 8900 you could change the vendor id to AT&T but you would still have the t-mo splash, right?
    03-18-09 12:50 PM
    bobdobbins,

You do not need to change the vendor ID in order to change the screen. The container has all elements stored independently and any element can be modified. The forbidden fruit here is how to write the changed data to your device.
    03-18-09 12:56 PM
    If you really want to know I am sure Google is your friend....
    03-18-09 01:00 PM
    Roger that, and well put.

i just like learning about how the phone works, i didn't realize a phone would have a vendor id that it could squawk or be queried against. i wonder if it has a model id as well? for instance, slingplayer mobile for BB can only be installed OTA and on certain device--it absolutely wont let you install it on say a Verizon 8330.
    03-18-09 01:06 PM
    aha, very informative aristile. So, in order to change to a custom splash screen do you have to make it a null/non-existent vendor id? And, just changing the vendor id wouldn't necessarily change the splash screen right? i.e. if you had a t-mo 8900 you could change the vendor id to AT&T but you would still have the t-mo splash, right?
    Basically, yes. Also it is very easy to render your phone useless through these applications so I wouldn't mess around with it unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing and you can afford to purchase a new device in case yours is screwed up. Personally I say just deal with the splash screen instead of taking all this risk. Its probably a better idea to purchase an older Blackberry for cheap and experiment on that instead of on your new 8900. But that's just my 2 pesos.
    03-18-09 01:09 PM
    Basically, yes. Also it is very easy to render your phone useless through these applications so I wouldn't mess around with it unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing and you can afford to purchase a new device in case yours is screwed up. Personally I say just deal with the splash screen instead of taking all this risk. Its probably a better idea to purchase an older Blackberry for cheap and experiment on that instead of on your new 8900. But that's just my 2 pesos.
    good idea, i don't really care about the splash screen--just the idea and possibility to change it. i mean, if you wanted to show someone you would have to pull your battery and then sit and watch the screen for 2 minutes until you got to see your custom image for 3 seconds, lol.

But, if I get bored i've got a few boxes full of old BBs to be recycled, *hopefully i'll just use one...
    03-18-09 02:34 PM
    good idea, i don't really care about the splash screen--just the idea and possibility to change it. i mean, if you wanted to show someone you would have to pull your battery and then sit and watch the screen for 2 minutes until you got to see your custom image for 3 seconds, lol.

But, if I get bored i've got a few boxes full of old BBs to be recycled, *hopefully i'll just use one...
    Exactly! You don't see that screen often anyway, so its not a big deal at all. At least not to me. I think it is a very good idea to experiment on those older phone instead of your new one. Especially if they are just lying around not doing anything.
    03-18-09 02:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD