Hello my fellow crackberry members!!! I took full advantage of receiving my free cellunlock code and just received mine about an hour ago. I am contemplating now however whether or not it is worth unlocking my 8900 on my T-Mobile network? I plan on remaining with T-Mobile until the plan runs up next June and not sure if I will renew my contract. Should I just unlock my phone now so I will have it for any network in the future?

Thanks guys!!!
    03-17-09 02:50 PM
    I don't see any reason why you should not unlock it now. An unlock phone is not worse than a lock one. Unlock it even if you are planning to stay with T Mobile forever (in case you may want o sell it or give it to somebody someday to use it with another carrier). It is like getting a free lottery ticket. Why shouldn't you get it?
    03-17-09 02:57 PM
    If you have an unlock code, then use it. It is only good for that one phone only. Also your phone will only gain value once it is unlocked because it will then be more flexible as it can be used with any GSM carrier.
    03-17-09 03:36 PM
    You should unlock it, it brings up the value of the phone. Make sure you have T-Mobile unlock it for you because if its unlocked by a third party it voids the warranty.
    03-17-09 03:40 PM
    Unlocking does NOT void the warranty.
    03-17-09 03:42 PM
    Keep in mind that once it is unlocked, you can only go to another GSM network. So in the US, you could switch to AT&T, but not Sprint or Verizon.

The resale value of a unlocked phone is a huge reason to go for it. As the others advised, I would unlock it as well.
    03-17-09 03:43 PM
    Unlocking does NOT void the warranty.
    Unlocking through a third party DOES void the warranty.
    03-17-09 03:44 PM
    Hello my fellow crackberry members!!! I took full advantage of receiving my free cellunlock code and just received mine about an hour ago. I am contemplating now however whether or not it is worth unlocking my 8900 on my T-Mobile network? I plan on remaining with T-Mobile until the plan runs up next June and not sure if I will renew my contract. Should I just unlock my phone now so I will have it for any network in the future?

Thanks guys!!!
    Mine is unlocked, does not void the warranty and it adds a massive amount of value to the phone. I saw a 8830 at a flea market selling for 200, unlocked.... that insane... i bet the 8900 would pull over 400.....
    03-17-09 03:45 PM
    Mine is unlocked, does not void the warranty and it adds a massive amount of value to the phone. I saw a 8830 at a flea market selling for 200, unlocked.... that insane... i bet the 8900 would pull over 400.....
    Let's not get carried away here. It's not going to add a "massive" amount to the phone. You can get phones unlocked for nothing sometimes, at worst it costs about $40. If you've been with a carrier for a couple years they'll do it for nothing.
    03-17-09 03:56 PM
    Unlocking through a third party DOES void the warranty.
    I'd like to know where you are getting your information from, because it is incorrect.
    03-17-09 04:03 PM
    I'd like to know where you are getting your information from, because it is incorrect.

On my previous 8320 I had talked to them about getting my phone unlocked and they simply voided my warranty since I told them I got it unlocked at a store; whereas getting it unlocked from them.
    03-17-09 04:10 PM
    You were had, sorry to break it to you.
    03-17-09 04:21 PM
    You should unlock it, it brings up the value of the phone. Make sure you have T-Mobile unlock it for you because if its unlocked by a third party it voids the warranty.
    sorry buddy, but aristile is right. I'm on my second 8900, but i did unlock the first one before i returned it, and they gave me a replacement 8900 with no problem. Now i'm just waiting on the unlock for this one....
    03-17-09 05:29 PM
    I think you should just save the unlocking for when you want to sell it
    03-17-09 09:00 PM
    Why? There's no reason to wait.
    03-17-09 09:07 PM
    If you have the code already, no point in waiting. It's an added luxury incase you switch carriers. Or...

I have my work phone (AT&T) for emergencies in case my personal phone (TMo) dies. I can just switch SIM cards.
    03-17-09 09:35 PM
    Yeah no reason to wait... you just run the risk of misplacing the code....
    03-17-09 09:39 PM
    There's no reason to wait, no reason to act. The phone is the same either way. The unlock code is free so it adds nothing to it function-wise or value-wise. Who cares?

Yeah no reason to wait... you just run the risk of misplacing the code....
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-09 10:10 PM
    IMO, if someone steals it and doesnt have tmo they have to go through the trouble of unlocking it. But u can always just keep the code handy for when you need it. That just my two cents
    03-17-09 10:20 PM
    There's no reason to wait, no reason to act. The phone is the same either way. The unlock code is free so it adds nothing to it function-wise or value-wise. Who cares?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Actually you are incorrect here. The unlock code does add function and value to your device. Once you unlock your device you have the freedom of using it while on vacation in another country because you can use a local SIM card. No International roaming. You can also use a friend's SIM card in your phone where you have no reception and his battery is dead. If you think this isn't value, just wait until it happens to you one day. I'm sure there are many other examples, these are just a few. Also you now have the freedom to leave your carrier whenever you like and you can keep your same phone.

Having a locked phone is less valuable than have an unlocked phone. There is no question about it.
    03-17-09 10:35 PM
    i just unlocked mine, and now i'm on GSM, not Edge like I was previously. should I be concerned?
    03-17-09 11:32 PM
    i just unlocked mine, and now i'm on GSM, not Edge like I was previously. should I be concerned?
    Mine did that too but a battery pull fixed it. If that doesnt work go through your mobile network settings and make sure data is turned on, and that it shows the correct carrier.
    03-17-09 11:36 PM
    battery pulled did it, much thanks
    03-17-09 11:41 PM
    Unlocked as soon as I got my free code.
    03-18-09 03:30 AM
    This guy is correct ^^^

I don't know where you guys get your information, and maybe you did get away with certain things but it DOES void your warranty if it is not an unlock code given from your service provider. I have a family member that works for T-Mobile in General Care and they have told me time and time again unlocking your phone is a bad idea until you're ready to sell it. With T-Mobile, you have to have your phone on an active account for at least 90 days before being allowed to unlock it.

So just to cleanr things up:

One, it voids your warranty. Two, If someone steals your phone and its unlocked they can use it on ANY network. At least if it is still locked, they would have to have T-Mobile to use it. You're basically increasing the value for a thief, until you sell it.
    03-18-09 07:52 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD