OK, I am cheap and am trying not to spend the extra money for a data plan with AT&T and my BB. I can access my Yahoo mail account by going thru MediaNet but I have also been considering having my Yahoo mail come to my BB Curve. Is there a way to do this without the expense of an additional data plan on either BB ro AT&T? Any suggestions or reality checks are appreciated.

AAHBlackberry
    02-13-08 10:30 AM
    Why did you get a blackberry?

The whole point of a blackberry is the blackberry services.

I swear, I'll never understand some people.

No, there's no way to get email sent to your phone without paying the 20 a month.
    02-14-08 05:52 AM
    Yeah--what ^^^^^ he said! And it's $30 a month with AT&T
    02-14-08 10:21 AM
    Why did you get a blackberry?

No, there's no way to get email sent to your phone without paying the 20 a month.

Not true.... some people want a PDA and phone all in one device. Some people may not need nor want their personal email pushed to them. Some people may want a bigger screen or a full QWERTY keyboard or a media player, etc. Bottom line is people get BB's for different reasons. For $20/month I get unlimited data and 200 MMS/SMS (AT&T). If I were to get a BB plan that would be $30/month for BIS with NO MMS/SMS... that would be $5 more a month for 200 MMS/SMS for a total of $35/month for the same data that I can get for $20/month. Why would I want to pay $35 if I can get it for $20?

Ditto
    02-14-08 12:34 PM
    Normal data won't work on AT$T with a BB (having said that there are work arounds but it is against the TOS and in violation of the contract and could get one terminated). Also the statement about people getting BB's for the services is the truth. Only within the last year have the BB's gone mainstream with flashy colors, mediaplayers, cameras, web browsers, and other creature ammentities, as before the BB was the consumate professionsals work horse with unparallelled security for data (email) and that is why people got hooked and bought BBs. If people wanted a pda/playtoy they got either WM or PALM devices as they offer alot more individuality and extra 3Rd party apps and functions. Having said that what drove me to the BB was the e-mail and stabilty, but I agree, as I can't see why someone would want one without the BB data plan, as let's face it the medialplayers are mediocre at best and very limited in their abilities (don't believe me try and stream something, all it does is download to buffer and then play not real streaming as of yet, and no video camera yet either)
    02-14-08 12:52 PM
    Having said that what drove me to the BB was the e-mail and stabilty

Agree about the stability... that's what led me to get a BB over the blackjack II. I may end up switching to the BB plan if AT&T forces me too, but until then I'm happy with my $20 mediaNet.
    02-14-08 12:59 PM
    "OK, I am cheap and am trying not to spend the extra money for a data plan with AT&T and my BB. I can access my Yahoo mail account by going thru MediaNet but I have also been considering having my Yahoo mail come to my BB Curve."

Correct me if I am wrong but MediaNet and regular HTML use the same "data". You are going to need a data plan or MediaNet is going to cost you $$$. SMS and MMS do not use data but everything else IS on your data plan. Hope you haven't run up a bill.
    02-15-08 02:46 PM
    OK, I am cheap and am trying not to spend the extra money for a data plan with AT&T and my BB. AAHBlackberry

Without the BB data plan, you actually don't have a BB. You have a smart phone made by RIM. What makes a BB a BB is the data plan (securely encrypted push email, yeah). Not that most of us need it, but it has the best security in the industry right now, and that is why the federal government (military, homeland security, FBI) all use BB for their email service.
    02-15-08 02:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD