So I know I said before that on the first 8900 I got the trackball was a little loose and rattle-y, but I haven't had a lot of experience with BBs and now in retrospect that might have been quite normal... or at least much better than what I'm seeing in all others since.

The first one was nice and smooth (once pushed in a little), with a hard ball and a little satisfying zip to it. Also, the housing was rock solid, with no movement/wobble at all.

Since exchanging that one, I have seen I think about 10-12 more of them, from a few different batches - and ALL of them I didn't like for 2 reasons:

1- they all had the wobbly/shifty trackball housing (I know a few people complained about that, so I'm not alone here...)

2- they all seem to have a "sticky" trackball - not sure how to describe this to be honest, it kind of feels like a very thin rubbery layer on the ball or something like that... but the worst thing is that it makes my finger sticky too so when you touch anything around the ball while scrolling it just stops you right in your track. Really annoying...

Soooo... I guess my questions are:

1- is that something I could fix if I take the thing apart, i.e. is it just a matter of how they put it together, maybe screws not being as tight as on the first one? Anyone that took theirs apart noticed anything? Anyone have a picture of how the trackball housing is held in place?

2- am I crazy? But seriously, the first one was NOT like that so I don't know what to think. Did they start using different balls after the initial run or what on earth happened? Does it wear off? (had one of those for 3 days, didn't seem to get better)

This is really starting to drive me crazy, I haven't had my BB for a week now, I'm 2 days short of 30 days with a new contract, and I can't find a single 8900 with a good trackball in the whole city... grrrr... (stupid OCD...)
    03-16-09 04:06 PM
    My trackball goes every which way but to the right. The ball will not glide over to the right. I have to really work it. Is there something stuck in there? Is there a way to look under there somehow and clean it? Or is it a different problem?
    03-16-09 04:29 PM
    My trackball had a little rough spot, but after using it quite a bit... Seems to just have cleared up...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-09 04:54 PM
    My trackball goes every which way but to the right. The ball will not glide over to the right. I have to really work it. Is there something stuck in there? Is there a way to look under there somehow and clean it? Or is it a different problem?
    i had this happen to me but it happened to the downwards thing. All i had to do is blow into it with canned air or your own hot breath and it seems to get the trackball smoothened out.
    03-16-09 05:39 PM
    I have a touch of phone OCD too! I notice every little glitch and it drives me crazy!
    03-16-09 06:38 PM
    I am glad you made this thread. I was one of the first to complain about the housing. I was also OCD about my new 8900 that I got on 2/11 and the such. Long story short, I went through 5 8900's and they ALL had a loose housing except 1. The store models ALL had lose housings as well. I decided, what the hey, and stayed with my current one that doesn't have a keyboard wobble, which I couldn't stand.

The trackball also sometimes sticks and doesn't register but moves in the housing. It's weird to describe and only us few OCDer's (lol) will notice this. When this happens, just pop fling it in the other direction and it's good as new. All in all, the trackball isn't as good as the original 8100 which was built like a tank. My 8320 was better, and the 8900 being the worst. There is just too much give on the housing, it's annoying. They should have stuck to the 8100 design.

Anyhow, I wouldn't worry about the housing being loose. If it works, keep it.
    03-16-09 07:07 PM
    My trackball is as smooth as silk, and glides as if on air. I feel badly for those of you who have struggled. I would assume your sticky trackballs are not intended as the norm.

In fact, my daughter has the latest Pearl 8120, and when she picked up my 8900 the first thing she noticed was the awesome trackball. I certainly wouldn't keep one with a sticky trackball. To me that would be unacceptable for such a classy top-of-the-line BB!
    03-16-09 07:21 PM
    no complaints here mines the same as it was when i got the phone in feb. I have had no problems at all. its smother and more responsive than my 8320 track ball.
    03-16-09 07:58 PM
    mine is fine, but I gave a G1 trackball on the way because I wanted to black out my phone

03-16-09 08:22 PM
    No complaints here about my trackball. It feels alot better than my pearl 8120 which lost its responsiveness quickly.
    03-16-09 08:27 PM
    This is my first BB so I'm not sure what to expect, but it seems like the 8900 is plagued with so many issues. I've never experienced a device with so many physical issues. My tb is ok, I notice it sometimes doesn't scroll on screen. It physically scrolls but it's as though the software isn't reading the movement and thus doesn't scroll.
    03-16-09 08:48 PM
    This is my 3rd BB (first 8900) and it has the best trackball yet!

03-16-09 09:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD