Just out of sheer curiosity, has anyone tried to put the 8900 OS on a BOLD?
    03-16-09 12:22 PM
    I saw a guy in another thread say that the latest bold OS (.247) ran down the batt on his 8900 really quick. Lol. But I'm pretty sure he had no idea what he was talking about tho.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure it would never load because it has to be device specific

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-09 04:08 PM
    Just out of sheer curiosity, has anyone tried to put the 8900 OS on a BOLD?
    No each device software version is made for a particular device. There is no interchangeable OS.
    03-16-09 06:44 PM
    care to elaborate Crucial_Xtreme?

I kind of doubt it.

The CPU's architecture is the same, so the binaries should have the same sig, and the assembly code should be compatible with the CPU. Furthermore, I doubt that the controllers for keyboard, trackball and what not are different, because that would be a very dumb move, development wise.

Sure, it probably has some condition not letting you install the OS on the device, but if that's the only barrier, and I don't see why it shouldn't be the only one, I suppose it's only a matter of time someone fires up an hex editor and start cracking. literally.

not saying every little thing would work. But it should at least boot
    03-16-09 06:53 PM
    I saw a guy in another thread say that the latest bold OS (.247) ran down the batt on his 8900 really quick. Lol. But I'm pretty sure he had no idea what he was talking about tho.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure it would never load because it has to be device specific

Thats not possible to even load it
    03-16-09 07:08 PM
    It's not possible. Not even sure why you would want to?

Each OS is built for specific devices. This is not like the 9500/9530 hybrids because in those cases the hardware was identical (with some things disabled in 9500).

IF you were able to figure out a way to do this (mixing OS files with radio files or whatever) it would BRICK YOUR PHONE.
    03-16-09 07:27 PM
    care to elaborate Crucial_Xtreme?

I kind of doubt it.

The CPU's architecture is the same, so the binaries should have the same sig, and the assembly code should be compatible with the CPU. Furthermore, I doubt that the controllers for keyboard, trackball and what not are different, because that would be a very dumb move, development wise.

Sure, it probably has some condition not letting you install the OS on the device, but if that's the only barrier, and I don't see why it shouldn't be the only one, I suppose it's only a matter of time someone fires up an hex editor and start cracking. literally.

not saying every little thing would work. But it should at least boot
    I work forensics on BlackBerry's day in day out. If you want to try and install the OS for a 8900 onto a Bold you go right ahead. But it's not working.
    03-16-09 07:58 PM
    Thats not possible to even load it
    Exactly, that's why I laughed and said he didn't know what he was talking about

03-17-09 02:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD