Hi,

I'm changing my corporate BB from a Verizon 8830 to an AT&T Bold. I charged up the phone and when I turned it on, I got the Sim not provisioned:2 message up top and SOS under the signal meter. I read many posts on this forum about this and understand there is an issue. My question is: Am I seeing this because my phone has not yet been activated, or is this the same issue as the other posts here have referred to? This is my first experience with AT&T/GMS here in the States, so I need some advice.

BTW, when I first turned on the phone, it showed 4 bars and then immediately switched to SOS.

If this is the same issue, would an upgrade to .247 help?

Thanks,

Chuck
    03-16-09 10:17 AM
    Have you tried activating yet?

If not, that would be my first port of call if I was you.
    03-16-09 10:29 AM
    Do not upgrade yet, this will only make running down the issue harder.

I would say it's an issue with the sim. Call customer service.
    03-16-09 10:31 AM
    Yeah when my sim was not active that was the message I got u just need to activate the phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-09 10:32 AM
    Yeah when my sim was not active that was the message I got u just need to activate the phone.

Indeed. Generally it means the SIM is not being provisioned by the carrier.
    03-16-09 10:33 AM
    Is it not provisioned by the carrier? I'm porting my number from Verizon and when I received the phone it had my number as being assigned to the phone, does this mean the Sim was provisioned or not?

My concern is I get a lot of tech support calls and emails on this number and am concerned that if I cut over from Verizon and the Bold is still giving the same message, how long will I be down for

Thanks,

Chuck
    03-16-09 10:54 AM
    You need to activate the SIM. Have you done this?
    03-16-09 10:57 AM
    Beware when I ported out from verizon I still received call on my storm for 4 to 6 hours just keep your other phone on you also. You will only be able to call from one and answer on the other pretty weird actually.

03-16-09 11:20 AM
    Did you get this sorted out? Was it just a delay in the porting?
    03-17-09 05:51 AM
    I haven't had a chance to do this yet, been tied up at work. One thing though....I used to work for Sprint PCS, so I know the CDMA side of things, and I know if a phone couldn't get a signal it couldn't be provisioned. Is this different on GSM? If the phone is in SOS and doesn't have a signal, how can the SIM be provisioned?
    03-18-09 09:44 AM
    I dont know about the US but the UK has a law that even if the SIM is not provisioned by a carrier, it must still have the ability to dial the emergency services. I thought it was the same in the US but I'm not 100% sure.
    03-18-09 09:46 AM
    I dont know about the US but the UK has a law that even if the SIM is not provisioned by a carrier, it must still have the ability to dial the emergency services. I thought it was the same in the US but I'm not 100% sure.
    Yep, it's the same.
    03-18-09 09:48 AM
    I understand it can dial emergency services, but can it reach provisioning?
    03-18-09 10:28 AM
    I thought that if the SIM is unprovisioned, it would show SOS only and no other signal.

If it is provisioned it would show a signal. Unless it was in a no coverage area where it would show SOS only.

If you were in a no coverage area and you wanted to get an unprovisioned SIM working, this would not take affect until you were in an area with coverage from your carrier.

However, you wouldn't know you were in a no coverage area if your SIM was unprovisioned because it wouldn't show a signal.

If there was a barr on teh account for say non bill payment...technically you are unprovisioned but this is not the same and you would still see teh signal strenght of your carrier.

I dont know if this is all correct or helps in anyway but this is what I believe to be the case.
    03-18-09 11:02 AM
    While the user has moved from one carrier to the next, I would guess that a call th ATT Mobility Customer Care to acknowledge recipt of the phone will hasten the number chnageover from VZW to att.
    03-18-09 11:13 AM
    I understand it can dial emergency services, but can it reach provisioning?
    If you had just called your carrier this would have been a moot point two days ago... Nothing to do on your end, it's all on theirs. A portion of your account simply needs activating on their side. Call em up now!

SOS means there is a signal but it's likely weak or it's from a different carrier than you're signed up with. If there's no signal it will just show the the 'x' graphic.
    Last edited by macgarnicle; 03-18-09 at 04:45 PM.
    03-18-09 04:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD