Here's the deal:

My dad got a blackberry storm, and it stopped working. On his drive home, he stopped at the Verizon store, and they informed him that they didn't have any in stock, but they would mail one to him.

So he gets home, and what do you know, it starts working again...

So he activated the new one, and never sent out the "broken" one. He has NOT been charged.

I would like to try and activate it, but I'm afraid Verizon will catch on, and charge him for the replacement...

So my question for you guys is:
    Will my dad be charged if I try to activate the phone he was supposed to send back?
    03-14-09 11:20 AM
    he will be charged full price for the phone if it is not returned with in 30 days.
    03-14-09 11:28 AM
    If you don't send back the "defective" one he will eventually be charged.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-09 11:30 AM
    he will be charged full price for the phone if it is not returned with in 30 days.
    It has been like 3 months though....

He never got charged...
    03-14-09 11:36 AM
    And it's fraud.
    03-14-09 11:42 AM
    So my question for you guys is:
    Will my dad be charged if I try to activate the phone he was supposed to send back?

I really hope so. It would be a valuable life lesson on dishonesty for you, and one that your father apparently has never learned.
    03-14-09 11:51 AM
    Oh people spare the OP of your "life lessons" and moral ethical codes. It's just a stupid phone.

Just try to activate it. If you can't then so be it.

03-14-09 12:00 PM
    "It's just a stupid phone"
    I bet you wouldn't say that if they were stealing it from you.

03-14-09 12:18 PM
    Oh people spare the OP of your "life lessons" and moral ethical codes. It's just a stupid phone.

Just try to activate it. If you can't then so be it.

Or, you could "spare" him of your lack of morals.
    03-14-09 12:23 PM

If it was stolen from me, yes I would still say the same thing. I'd just have to get another one.

03-14-09 12:23 PM
    My question is, what did Verizon expect him to do with the old phone? Was he supposed to send it back to Verizon?

I find it interesting that they sent him a new one without requiring the old one to either be left at the Verizon store, or wanting to have it sent back to them.

If they expect it back, they may charge him for the phone (full price) if he doesn't return it - no matter if it gets reactivated or not.
    03-14-09 12:25 PM
    They give you specific instructions on what to do with the defective equipment. i.e. sending it back.

If you don't send it back you are breaking the contract and will be charged full retail on that "like new" device. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it wont. They do give a grace.

Most likely the phone wont be able to be reactivated either. The ESN is most likely flagged once the replacement was activated.

Sometimes people are actually charged for a phone they did return. Tracking information is needed at that point. So I'd guarantee give it time that bill will go up $500 one month.
    Last edited by Lowsol94; 03-14-09 at 12:30 PM.
    03-14-09 12:28 PM
    If it was stolen from me, yes I would still say the same thing. I'd just have to get another one.

Right...sure.

03-14-09 12:32 PM
    This thread makes me a sad panda.

The world is so flippin' dishonest now.
    03-14-09 12:43 PM

Yay!

Hey everyone, shopping spree at P.O.E.1983's house! He doesn't mind if you take everything he has, he'll just buy new stuff! And it's not illegal or immoral because he doesn't mind!
    03-14-09 12:44 PM
    Yay!

Hey everyone, shopping spree at P.O.E.1983's house! He doesn't mind if you take everything he has, he'll just buy new stuff! And it's not illegal or immoral because he doesn't mind!
    He asked specifically "the phone." Don't take "the stupid phone" out of context.

03-14-09 12:47 PM
    Yay!

Now that's funny I don't care who you are!

03-14-09 12:47 PM

Does that mean you'll be giving out your bank account and credit card numbers? Shouldn't be a problem if a few people steal from you right??
    03-14-09 01:30 PM
    Does that mean you'll be giving out your bank account and credit card numbers? Shouldn't be a problem if a few people steal from you right??
    Once again. The subject of this thread is the PHONE. If you all want to keep taking what I say out of context and subsituting the PHONE for other things, then you all just look silly.

03-14-09 02:55 PM
    Once again. The subject of this thread is the PHONE. If you all want to keep taking what I say out of context and subsituting the PHONE for other things, then you all just look silly.

The subject is really about values and morals...commonly called character...it just happened to be framed around activating a phone that should have been turned back in. The OP asked us about doing something that clearly is wrong. You seem to be ok with that.
    03-14-09 03:23 PM
    Now that's funny I don't care who you are!

And you might be a redneck for saying that. Lol

03-14-09 03:34 PM
    The subject is really about values and morals...commonly called character...it just happened to be framed around activating a phone that should have been turned back in. The OP asked us about doing something that clearly is wrong. You seem to be ok with that.
    Values, schmalues. Just a phone....

I'm done with this thread.

03-14-09 03:50 PM
    ANd then it's "just a car", "just a wallet", "just a credit card"...

Values, schmalues indeed.
    03-14-09 03:55 PM

Actually the fact that you think we're taking your words out of context is silly. Obviously you find it okay to steal from a corporation, many of us don't. Corporate losses are passed on to the consumer so we all pay for theft in one form or another.
    03-14-09 03:55 PM

Oh come on! Those things are pumped out in factories by the millions. And Verizon is a huge company. Its not that biga deal at all.

03-14-09 05:51 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD