I've always been curious. the GPS on things such as google maps and BB maps have been fairly accurate, but definitely not as 100% accurate as phones such as the iPhone. On some 3rd party apps that utilize the GPS it can get worse than the google maps and BB maps applications themselves.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?
    03-14-09 02:24 AM
    I've always been curious. the GPS on things such as google maps and BB maps have been fairly accurate, but definitely not as 100% accurate as phones such as the iPhone. On some 3rd party apps that utilize the GPS it can get worse than the google maps and BB maps applications themselves.

on Google Maps I am accurate up to 3 meters. That is 10 x's better than what I had in the Army 15 years ago. That's about 9.6 feet. It is really hard to get much more accurate than that...
    03-14-09 02:46 AM
    The gps on this is as pin point as it gets.

It didn't just get my exact location, it was able to tell if i was in the front of my house or in the back.
    03-14-09 02:58 AM
    wow

is there a calibration tool or something?

my google maps gps jumps every 4-5 sec and is accurate to maybe 800-1200 m :S

am i doing something wrong? I was wondering how this could ever help ANYONE for turn by turn stuff
    03-25-09 03:47 PM
    Google Maps will pretty much get the job done, I really don't see the need to use any other application. That's just my two cents though, I've deleted every other mapping app on my phone and rely solely on it when necessary.
    03-25-09 03:56 PM
    Go stand outside. If you are inside it makes it harder for the satellites to find you.
    03-25-09 03:59 PM
    on Google Maps I am accurate up to 3 meters. That is 10 x's better than what I had in the Army 15 years ago. That's about 9.6 feet. It is really hard to get much more accurate than that...
    Ditto here.
    03-25-09 04:04 PM
    Check your GPS settings to see if they're turned on or off. (Options => Advanced Options => GPS) or (search.vzw.com/?do=viewdoc&id=21580&p=4286&supportview=1)
    03-25-09 04:10 PM
    The gps on this is as pin point as it gets.

It didn't just get my exact location, it was able to tell if i was in the front of my house or in the back.
    Me too! Ive found it super accurate.

I was doing the same thing - my dog thought I was nuts because I was walking back and forth from each side of my house to see it move!

To the original poster - are you sure youre using the most updated edition? The first version for Storm didnt work with Verizon correctly and just went by the nearest tower... Delete and re-install.
    03-25-09 04:11 PM
    wow

am i doing something wrong? I was wondering how this could ever help ANYONE for turn by turn stuff
    also check to make sure you have the latest version of google maps. Only the current one support the actual GPS on the Storm. Previous builds used cell location only.
    03-25-09 04:19 PM
    did you give google maps permission to use the gps data? Gotta enable that part too.
    03-25-09 04:25 PM
    I have a Magellan and a TomTom GPS. My Storm GPS with Google Maps is at least as accurate as the others. I also get accuracy within 3 meters. I noticed the other day when I was taking a walk that it continually updated my location and even displayed an arrow showing the direction of travel.
    03-25-09 04:30 PM
    I am some what confused by this new google maps fix. My Storm Google maps 3.2 on Telus network dose not seem to work any better then it did on 3.1.

Am i missing anything?

PS: my options are set fine.
    03-25-09 04:30 PM
    I am some what confused by this new google maps fix. My Storm Google maps 3.2 on Telus network dose not seem to work any better then it did on 3.1.

Am i missing anything?

PS: my options are set fine.
    could it be a telus thing?

all of my options are set wide open as well
    03-25-09 04:43 PM
    Make sure you go to Options/GPS and change gps setting to "Location On". Out of the box it is set to "E911".
    03-25-09 05:07 PM
    wow

Make sure you are running maps 3.0.2 anything earlier wont have gps.
    03-25-09 05:10 PM
    I was amazed at how accurate it is... I did th hybrid view of google maps. It showed be on the bench at the park... Its kinda creepy...
    Do u still have bb maps on or did u erase it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-09 05:15 PM
    Make sure you are running maps 3.0.2 anything earlier wont have gps.
    using 3.02, gps enabled, location aiding, all permissions set to allow.

I was amazed at how accurate it is... I did th hybrid view of google maps. It showed be on the bench at the park... Its kinda creepy...
    Do u still have bb maps on or did u erase it?

still have bb maps...havent used it yet, wasnt sure of carrier charges
    03-25-09 05:17 PM
    Wow, mine was accurate to 1600 meters, turned on GPS and now it's all better! Thanks!
    03-25-09 05:35 PM

I think the government restricts this to a point also.
    03-25-09 05:45 PM
    My GPS is on point, as close as 2-3 meters... And is never more than 7, and that's when I'm in a slightly wooded area (apartment complex)

It's so on point that it follows me while I'm WALKING, I can actually see the dot moving with me...

and if I'm using BB Maps' "Navigate" feature, as soon as I see the street appear in-screen, I look up and it's right in front of me... It even tells me how fast I'm driving, which is insanely accurate...
    03-25-09 05:53 PM
    The GPS tends to be more accurate outdoors than inside, the signal isn't being as obstructed. I'd say its as accurate as my Tomtom or nearly so.

I just used Googlemaps with satellite view, I was standing on the sidewalk in front of my house and it showed me being on the sidewalk in front of the house across from me, I'd say that's fairly accurate.

Last edited by toxman; 03-25-09 at 06:25 PM.
    03-25-09 06:12 PM
    does anyone know how to get rid of the keyboard on google maps?
    03-25-09 06:27 PM
    using 3.02, gps enabled, location aiding, all permissions set to allow.

still have bb maps...havent used it yet, wasnt sure of carrier charges
    Hmm... I assume youve pulled the battery...?
    03-25-09 06:43 PM
    does anyone know how to get rid of the keyboard on google maps?
    Disable Compatibility Mode and it will remove the keyboard.
    03-25-09 06:50 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD