Repost from 8830 forum:

Hi guys and gals,

I'm running OS 4.5.0.135 (the Sprint offical release) on my VZW 8830. I downloaded the Curve version of SPM OTA on my 8830 (xttp://download.slingmedia.com/player/mobile/bbbeta503/US/SlingPlayer_def_EN_US.jad). I'm a noob and can't post "real" urls.

It works! I am soooo happy! I was thinking of giving in and buying the Storm, even though my hands on experience with the 9530 left me cold. I want the upcoming Niagra (9630). I just like the physical keyboard, so I am very happy to have access to my Slingbox while waiting for the new phone.

Thank you to the Storm owners who first got this "hack" working on the 9530. Thank you to Sling Media for making such a great product (and not blocking use of SPM on "unsupported" BBs). Thank you to RIM for continuing to support the 8830. Thank you to VZW for not blocking this app (and FINALLY allowing us to use the phone's GPS--even if it only works for BB Maps).

FWIW: I'm connecting to a Slingbox Solo.

I hope this help my fellow 8830 holdouts!

Postflight
    03-13-09 08:09 PM
    Good news! Hopefully they've found a way to make it compatible for the 8330 also.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-09 12:30 AM
    Just checked the slingmedia forums & it seems as though slingplayer should be a go as long as the OS your running is .135 or higher. I can't wait for our next OS update!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-09 12:44 AM
    I am running .131 and it is still a no go. .138 is out there.
    03-14-09 09:14 AM
    Good news! Hopefully they've found a way to make it compatible for the 8330 also.
    This from what I posted on SC...
    This does work with the VZW 8330. You need the .131 (Sprint) release installed. Install OTA using the above link. After install, TURN RADIO OFF!! don't open it yet. Go through SPM setup. Press END - do not exit SPM. Turn radio back on. Go back to SPM. Add your box. This 100% works and no you don't have to turn the radio off every time you open it. If you have problems doing this reply back I can help.
    03-23-09 06:52 AM
    This from what I posted on SC...
    This does work with the VZW 8330. You need the .131 (Sprint) release installed. Install OTA using the above link. After install, TURN RADIO OFF!! don't open it yet. Go through SPM setup. Press END - do not exit SPM. Turn radio back on. Go back to SPM. Add your box. This 100% works and no you don't have to turn the radio off every time you open it. If you have problems doing this reply back I can help.
    I did that, everything is there...but when I press connect, NOTHING happens! What gives....screenshots please!
    03-23-09 09:33 AM
    yeah i did all of that too and am having the same problem - will not connect. SPM did let me log in to my sling account though, and it found my box.
    03-23-09 02:01 PM
    ok nevermind....IT WORKS! on sprint! thank you so much!
    03-23-09 02:23 PM
    Huh? I have tried over and over, done battery pulls....nothing! It still just sits where it says connect. I press the trackball and nothing happens. It has discovered my box and all the settings are correct, but it does not even try to connect.

What did you do to get it to connect?
    03-23-09 02:35 PM
    I did that, everything is there...but when I press connect, NOTHING happens! What gives....screenshots please!
    Here is what I did (although this is on sprint): deleted the Slingbox I added manually, logged in to Sling and let it find my box. Pushed connect maybe a hundred times. Eventually it just started working and now it works fine. Make sure you get connected and watching the slingbox before you fully exit SPM or you will have to delete SPM, reinstall, and start over.
    03-23-09 02:40 PM
    Here is what I did (although this is on sprint): deleted the Slingbox I added manually, logged in to Sling and let it find my box. Pushed connect maybe a hundred times. Eventually it just started working and now it works fine. Make sure you get connected and watching the slingbox before you fully exit SPM or you will have to delete SPM, reinstall, and start over.
    Alright, well I will try one more time, this time I will hit the trackball more times than needed....it is just frustrating because I want this to work some kind of bad!
    03-23-09 02:44 PM
    Huh? I have tried over and over, done battery pulls....nothing! It still just sits where it says connect. I press the trackball and nothing happens. It has discovered my box and all the settings are correct, but it does not even try to connect.

What did you do to get it to connect?
    I think its pretty random....One of those things where you can do the same things over and over with no results and eventually it will just start working. I was having the exact same problem you were having.
    03-23-09 02:47 PM
    Alright, well I will try one more time, this time I will hit the trackball more times than needed....it is just frustrating because I want this to work some kind of bad!
    i hear you man, ive been trying to get this going for months. once you get past that step though (connecting) it is awesome. especially since we are on such faster networks then the ones it was released for. I figure if we both have everything set up the same way, it may work. Here are some more details on how i have it set up, in case it helps:

Connection Method: Mobile (I put it on this since 8330 does not have wifi)
    Autoconnect at launch: Disabled
    ShowRoaming status: Disabled
    Audio: stereo low
    cahnnel: left and right
    Res: normal
    autoswitch: Enabled
    03-23-09 03:04 PM
    I think its pretty random....One of those things where you can do the same things over and over with no results and eventually it will just start working. I was having the exact same problem you were having.
    Honestly, I have tried and tried....it is just sitting here looking at me on the connect screen saying, "i will not work for you."

How many times did you really push connect? Did you restart the program at all?
    03-23-09 03:04 PM
    i hear you man, ive been trying to get this going for months. once you get past that step though (connecting) it is awesome. especially since we are on such faster networks then the ones it was released for. I figure if we both have everything set up the same way, it may work. Here are some more details on how i have it set up, in case it helps:

Connection Method: Mobile (I put it on this since 8330 does not have wifi)
    Autoconnect at launch: Disabled
    ShowRoaming status: Disabled
    Audio: stereo low
    cahnnel: left and right
    Res: normal
    autoswitch: Enabled
    Well it is working now! It is on the optimizing screen and has been there for a minute or so.....did yours stay on that screen for a while?

Nevermind...it works now...I think the key was to put it on Connection Method: Mobile, which I thought I did....but oh well!

THANK YOU!!!
    03-23-09 03:08 PM
    Honestly, I have tried and tried....it is just sitting here looking at me on the connect screen saying, "i will not work for you."

How many times did you really push connect? Did you restart the program at all?
    I restarted, but when I would try loading SPM after the restart, it would give me one of those uncaught exception rim error messages or whatever, so I would have to completely reinstall it to get back to the connect screen. When I get frustrated with the BB, i tend to hit the trackball as many times as I can. There was no exception here. I pushed it a lot. Then I set it down, then I pressed connect again, and like 10 seconds later the stream started. Only after getting it to register and login and connect and everything, did pulling the battery help, and even then, it just helped with small glitches.
    03-23-09 03:09 PM
    Well it is working now! It is on the optimizing screen and has been there for a minute or so.....did yours stay on that screen for a while?
    yeah it did. was it the change from wifi to mobile that did the trick?
    03-23-09 03:11 PM
    yeah it did. was it the change from wifi to mobile that did the trick?
    Yeah it was the change. Last question: Does your take up the entire screen or just part of it with black bars on the side, top, and bottom? I set it to full screen and that is what I get.

What does yours look like?
    03-23-09 03:17 PM
    same thing man, black bars around it. I imagine it is the same way though on the GSM phones. let me know if you figure something out.
    03-23-09 03:29 PM
    Yeah, no solution yet...however, it is definitely better than nothing!
    03-23-09 03:33 PM
    yeah really. i feel like i need to go out and celebrate now after all this work
    03-23-09 03:45 PM
    If you want the entire screen.....go to your options and for resolution, select high and it will fill the screen. However, I kept losing my signal when I did this, so watch out....but you may have better luck.
    03-23-09 05:21 PM
    thanks. it works pretty well on sprint in high res. we owe each other some beers.
    03-23-09 05:36 PM
    No luck for me. Also on Sprint.
    03-23-09 10:21 PM
    I have the 8330 with the latest OS from sprint but cant get the Darn program in my phone. I have the .JAD on my cpu that i got from the beginning of this thread , tried loading it from my media card- download failed. Tried going to the mobile site, wont let me download because my phone is not supported. tried emailing the .jad to myself and opening, NADA! how do I get it on my phone????
    03-23-09 11:13 PM
139 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD