Hello all, new 8900 user...
    I have just received a new phone and tried to restore an old backup from my previous blackberry pearl - everything seemed ok, phone said it needed to reboot - so i clicked yes and ever since, it does not reboot - just seems to get stuck with a clock spinning on the screen.
    Any ideas...
    03-13-09 06:23 AM
    Give it 10 mins, and then pull the battery.

Mine was a little temperamental out of the box, might be worth uping the OS when you're back on line.
    03-13-09 06:35 AM
    thank you

not very good with techie stuff - but how do i upgrade and what are the benefits?
    03-13-09 06:37 AM
    RIM will keep improving the software, improve battery life, offer new apps and roll them into a new version of the software.

If you go the Blackberry site, go to downloads and device software, choose your carrier and model it will show you the latest official software version. Download it and it is installed via the desktop software on your PC. There's plenty of guides in the forums if you want a more detailed plan.

Enjoy
    03-13-09 06:41 AM
    Welcome to crackberry.....you best bet is to do a battery pull leave it out for a few minutes then put it back in, if it still doesn't come up pull it for 20 minutes then try again.

This is a good read on the Operating Systems!!
    BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com
    03-13-09 07:40 AM
    Welcome to the club!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-09 07:44 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry and enjoy the addiction!

03-13-09 10:02 AM
    Welcome aboard the crackberry train!!!!!

03-13-09 10:13 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry!

As Clint mentioned, read through the 101 lectures. They are great! I have a link to them in my signature. You can also find them at anytime by clicking the "Newbies" link at the top of every page.
    03-13-09 10:43 AM
    And to add, if you're using the desktop software that came with the Berry, you might want to remove it from your PC and go to blackberry.com and download desdktop manager 4.6. The 4.7 that comes with the 8900 doesn't always like playing nice. Aristile says use the versdion without media manager. Io never have used the one with so I don't know the difference. Welcome to CB!

03-13-09 11:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD