Does anyone know if I can make international phone calls to australia, or India, or Africa, or Europe using the unlimited data I got with my blackberry bold? What is the best application that could let me do this... i.e if it is possible.

Thanks a lot.
    03-11-09 01:23 PM
    Text data is pushed through the BB router.
    Phone (unlimited or other) is sent though your service provider.

These are not linked soyou can not get the unlimited phone on the data plan.

For unlimited international phone consider Skype-Out. You dial a local number and plug in your account access codes. The unlimited international plan is $10/month (or you can pay about 2-1/2 cents a minute), plus the cost of the local call minutes (unless you have unlimited phone service)
    skype to go

Skype To Go - great value calls from any phone to any phone abroad
    03-11-09 02:01 PM
    i'm frantically looking through apps i can get to make these calls. I did come across skype to go, but I also found Nimbuzz... apparently I can make free landline international calls through my "VoIP account"?

This VoIP stuff is not making any sense to me... is it to you?
    03-11-09 02:17 PM
    this Nimbuzz looks interesting since it seems to combine several VOIP providers into one client.

The problem with VOIP on BB is that there is no voice client. That means, if you are calling through the VOIP service you can not go through a wifi connection. If there is a client then the call is forwarded through a phone connection and you are dialing a local number.

I have heard for some time that Skype has been 'working' on a BB client but perhaps BB does not want to open the channel to protect the business of their wireless providers...ATT TM....
    Last edited by mandony; 03-11-09 at 02:42 PM.
    03-11-09 02:39 PM
    hmmm... big chunk of that didnt make sense to me... its because im not tech savvy... let me do some reading on VoIP, maybe then I'll understand... in the meantime... whoever reads this thread, please feel free to fill it up with jargon that will give me some idea what i need to be looking up
    03-11-09 02:43 PM
    I was using Skype mobile, as well as Nimbuzz, on my HTC Diamond WM 6.1 Pro phone. Worked fine. I'm also looking for an equivalent BB client which will do the same thing (voice chat through 3G).
    03-11-09 04:43 PM
    hmmm... big chunk of that didnt make sense to me... its because im not tech savvy... let me do some reading on VoIP, maybe then I'll understand... in the meantime... whoever reads this thread, please feel free to fill it up with jargon that will give me some idea what i need to be looking up
    It is easy. The Voice over internet protocol allows devices that are connected to the internet to send voice in what is called a packet. Unfortunately the packets might not follow like little soldiers and you may get an echo, a delay, static ... If you have a good quality internet connection this thing works quite well. If there is trouble on the line then there are sometimes drop offs.

That being said, the BB Bold has a way that it connects to the internet either through your phone carrier, if you are not connected through a WiFi connection. Or, the Bold can connect to the internet through a WiFi connection, like a public or private access point.

To get 'free' calls, like through Skype type services, you can get them in one of two ways
    1) you can call a local Skye number and plug in the access codes.
    2) you can use a wifi or direct internet connection. Then, if you are calling from your Skype account to another Skype account (on the internet) the call is free. There are paid options to get connected to non Skype account holders through landline or cellphones.

The problem is that Bold does not have the ability to connect to Skype through WiFi. It can only connect though phone to local number.

If there were a program (client) that fixed the way that Skype connected to the internet then any internet connection would work. Unfortunately there is no such thing.

What a client would mean is that you could use your phone for almost free to almost anywhere by always having Skype enter the internet through your unlimited BB internet service or WiFi
    Sorry, that would put your phone company at a disadvantage.
    Last edited by mandony; 03-11-09 at 11:07 PM.
    03-11-09 11:00 PM
    I see... thanks for typing all that up Thing is I can connect to nimbuzz using wifi only, i know this because i turned off my moble network and had only wifi on, and then signed into nimbuzzz.... that means i can call landlines and mobiles in other countries using VoIP?

Probably not... cuz as u said "that would put your phone company at a disadvantage", but i thought i'd ask anyway...
    03-11-09 11:15 PM
    To call Australia and 30 other countries for only the cost of a local call, Talkster free international calling. Enter the number u will be calling from, to: #, then talk for free for unlimited time. Its the Google Talk service. Works great.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 10:14 AM
    I will try skype for sure now.
    03-12-09 10:33 AM
    [QUOTE=abu4321;1933337]To call Australia and 30 other countries for only the cost of a local call, Talkster free international calling. Enter the number u will be calling from, to: #, then talk for free for unlimited time. Its the Google Talk service. Works great.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks,

Did you mean it is like Google Talk, or it is using Google Talks system?

Also, I downloaded 'Talki' to my Curve (ATT) and can't seem to connect.

Are any of you using that software without problems?

Bukzin
    03-27-09 09:49 AM
    you need to get an inter sim card.national
    03-27-09 10:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD