I called into customer service and had them transfer me to Verizon's technical support department and of course being in a phone sales job myself I easily talked them into sending me a replacement phone and I will say WOW, this device feels a LOT more solid all around than my old one. My old one was about a week after the Storm came out, I already used the Torx T3 or whatever the tool is to loosen the screws on the backside of the phone which tremendously helped my typing on the phone.

But overall the newer Storms I'm extremely impressed! And of course I started right off with .114 OS with the .109 keyboard file, lol.
    03-11-09 01:13 AM
    this is what i was thinking to do and no one really talked about it in here i think i will get around to doing this one day!
    03-11-09 01:29 AM
    Well there is nothing majorly wrong with my storm, justa little dust and some clicking problems. Is it worth the hassle of getting a replacement?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-09 01:41 AM
    I had a release Storm and never thought I had any screen click problems. After I had to have my original replaced, the new one had a much more responsive screen. Did not notice any other differences though.
    03-11-09 01:43 AM
    I got mine the first week of January... I think I'm fine....
    03-11-09 02:00 AM
    Mine has been fantastic. Under no circumstances would I want to change it.
    03-11-09 02:32 AM
    Mine is just fine!
    03-11-09 02:57 AM
    I actually just ordered a replacement today as well, mainly because ive been having hardware related issues. Im hoping it has the newer click mechanism.

Ill post back my findings when i get it.

EDIT:

03/11/09 - Just got my replacement storm and Im very very disappointed. The screen is the first major flaw as the gaps around the edges are very noticeable and a lot of light is shining through also giving the screen far too much side to side movement. Also the click mechanism is probably the worst that ive experienced thus far, it has an uneven feel throughout the screen and makes typing very tiring.

Im returning the replacement and asking for a new one. If my current storm didnt have a loose mini-usb port then i would probably just keep it.
    Last edited by Ricky Roma; 03-11-09 at 08:04 PM.
    03-11-09 03:13 AM
    Both of mine were day 1.........never had a bit of problem. Guess I'll stay with a sure thing.
    03-11-09 03:31 AM
    We had one of three of replaced for click and undersized screen cut. The other two have been no problem and the replacement is possibly slightly better than our others yet I don't know how we would ever quantify it. Quite pleased.
    03-11-09 06:32 AM
    Have had mine since day one with no issues staying with what works

03-11-09 07:04 AM
    My 12/2/08 storm is just fine

And wait til u try getting the temp charge removed on ur replacement unit. Took mr 3 month last time I played with vzw in this manner

So not worth it

03-11-09 07:59 AM
    Just got Verizon to replace my storm, still in the 30 day trial period, and this will be my 3rd storm in 30 days. 1st one rebooted all the time, they immediately said they would replace it. This 2nd one was definitely a "used" phone, had a couple of scratches on it, did not even look new. The issues with this one had to do with phone keypad, kept sticking, would type a * and a p would come up. When I would try to use a speed dial, woud freeze up. They were not as cooperative with the 2nd one, sorta implied that maybe Ispilled liquid on phone. I assured them absolutly not. So, waiting for my 3rd one today, and I just bet it will be an other refurb phone. Really makes me mad, as I originally paid for a new phone.
    03-11-09 08:12 AM
    other than a very small flat spot on the screen (above the BB and 'back' hard keys) mine has been excellent. its a small issue that ill live with knowing that the phone functions/runs flawlessly.
    03-11-09 08:15 AM
    I had a release Storm and never thought I had any screen click problems. After I had to have my original replaced, the new one had a much more responsive screen. Did not notice any other differences though.
    I had the same experience. Months later I used customer's devices and they felt so much more solid and responsive so I got a replacement.
    03-11-09 08:44 AM
    other than a very small flat spot on the screen (above the BB and 'back' hard keys) mine has been excellent. its a small issue that ill live with knowing that the phone functions/runs flawlessly.
    Same here...this was an issue on my 1st Storm that had to be replaced for other reasons and even though my current device is OK...this flat spot bothers me quite a bit...it barely barley clicks
    03-11-09 09:27 AM
    I'm with telus and I purchased mine just after christmas. Should I replace it. Is there really a better
    Touch mechanism in the newer ones. And has anyone worked with telus for a replacement cause Dyer pretty hard
    To get a new phone replacement with my experience.

03-11-09 11:15 AM
    I wouldn't risk it. My day one unit is working great. The only hardware tweak I did was loosen the torx screws. (and then put the little red sticker back of course!).

Wouldn't you most likely get a refurb?
    03-11-09 11:21 AM
    I bought mine at the end of December, and I noticed that the bottom of the screen (in portrait, right of the screen in landscape) it's really hard to type. It's like I have to press really hard for it to do anything. Would I qualify for a new, free phone?
    03-11-09 11:21 AM
    I called into customer service and had them transfer me to Verizon's technical support department and of course being in a phone sales job myself I easily talked them into sending me a replacement phone and I will say WOW, this device feels a LOT more solid all around than my old one. My old one was about a week after the Storm came out, I already used the Torx T3 or whatever the tool is to loosen the screws on the backside of the phone which tremendously helped my typing on the phone.

But overall the newer Storms I'm extremely impressed! And of course I started right off with .114 OS with the .109 keyboard file, lol.
    Quick question: what is the best way to get them to agree to replace your device? I'm going to want them to replace ny device eventually unless they come out with touch typing simply due to the crazy slow typing that I am forced to endure on the storm.

When the new bold comes out for verizon what are my chances of getting them to replace my storm with the bold and me like paying the difference or what not?

03-11-09 11:28 AM
    Got mine 1 1/2 weeks ago so hopefully its all good
    03-11-09 11:58 AM
    Mine has dust under the screen and a flat spot bottom right where it doesn't click. I am on Vodafone Australia and they are telling me to send it away to a repair centre which could take 4 weeks. I'd really just prefer a replacement considering I have only had it for 3 months and it's under warranty and all.

Any tips on what I can do or say?
    03-11-09 06:09 PM
    I got mine on day 1. I guess there's a bit of dust under the screen, but other than that - I'm pretty pleased. I opted out of the insurance, am I not eligible for a new one?

Not sure I'd want to risk getting one while I have mine that works pretty well to be honest...
    03-11-09 07:21 PM
    I think my 3rd storm was by far the best performing one i dont understand why there is such a drastic change in storms and how they perform each and everyone of these phones in produced in a factory somewhere on a line.... I dont understand why RIM is haunted by this every bb i've owned has had drastic changes in performance and i've gone through about 4 different models about 12 different phones... i hope things pick up i really enjoy the verizon coverage
    03-11-09 07:35 PM
    i got mine soon after it came out. it broke and i got a new one last week, much faster and responsive, and the screen makes the click sound now. much better for sure
    03-11-09 09:14 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD