View Poll Results: Have you had or have a BB w/o a data plan?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have

10 11.49%
  • No, Praise unlimited data

77 88.51%
    Hello, I am new here to cb and looking into getting a BB pearl but dont really want to pay the data plan. So if YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY HAD A BB W/O A DATA PLAN please post how you did so and how long have you been with out a data plan. Thanks!
    03-10-09 09:48 PM
    You don't on VZW. There are no options. Have a new smartphone & it is mandatory.

So you will not find anyone who is successful at doing this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-09 10:04 PM
    okay thanks for the quick reply well i dont know if i can get a BB now
    03-10-09 10:10 PM
    What's the point? I don't think Verizon will sell a BB without a data plan. If you managed it, then there would be no option for wi-fi either (if I am not mistaken). You are then cutting your BB off at the knees... Literally.

After that you just own a phone.

03-10-09 10:11 PM
    I have had my BB for about a year now and I upgraded from a Razr. I just kept my account the same, no data plan. The only thing that I added was 200 text messages for an extra $5.00 monthly. Why do I need a data plan when I have 3 computers at home and only need the phone to make and recieve calls. I'm on At&T and my bill monthly is only $50.00 for service, text messages and taxes.
    Last edited by coolnana; 03-10-09 at 10:22 PM.
    03-10-09 10:19 PM
    i really want unlimited i would actually use it... Its just that i cant afford it. it makes me so mad....
    03-10-09 10:20 PM
    I have had my BB for about a year now and I upgraded from a Razr. I just kept my account the same, no data plan. The only thing that I added was 200 text messages for an extra $5.00 monthly. Why do I need a data plan when I have 3 computers at home and only need the phone to make and recieve calls.
    how did you do so???
    03-10-09 10:20 PM
    Just went online to AT&T Wireless and logged into my account and upgraded my phone to a BB, which had 2 different rebates and that was it. In the end I only paid $99 and free shipping.
    03-10-09 10:25 PM
    My friend has a Curve with AT&T and doesn't have a data plan. She really likes it.

But personally the data plan is too worth it. I'd rather starve than not have the internet in my car.

03-10-09 10:26 PM
    I have had my BB for about a year now and I upgraded from a Razr. I just kept my account the same, no data plan. The only thing that I added was 200 text messages for an extra $5.00 monthly. Why do I need a data plan when I have 3 computers at home and only need the phone to make and recieve calls. I'm on At&T and my bill monthly is only $50.00 for service, text messages and taxes.
    The key here is AT&T. AT&T is GSM. This is the VZW forum.

Besides, AT&T is ramping up to require data plans too. No data plan, no smartphone.

03-10-09 10:27 PM
    That's one thing I don't get about Verizon! You haave to pay an extra fee in order to own a certain phone? That seems stupid if you ask me! If you're willing to shell out the money to pay for the phone, where do they come off telling you can't use iit without the data plan? Stupid!!!

03-10-09 10:28 PM
    Umm... maybe it's me, but what is the point in having a BB without a data plan? A 'souped up' dumb-smartphone? I guess that's where the wifi comes in for those who don't have Verizon.
    03-10-09 10:33 PM
    Anyone who claims they don't have a data plan must be mistaken or are on an old plan that has data. As ALL bb's keep a constant data connection with BB. Therefor, using data... It would cost a fortune without a data plan.

I have a feeling you just want a BlackBerry to have a BlackBerry... Go get yourself a dare instead.
    03-10-09 10:39 PM
    I don't know why some of you are getting so uptight. Ravr, I have a BB with NO DATA plan at all. My monthly is $39.99 plus $5.00 for 200 text messages and thats it. I never had and never will spend what data plans cost. I have had the same plan for the last 7 years.
    03-10-09 10:44 PM
    i dont really like the whole touch screen aspect, i like how the BB pearl feels, text, features and more. I think it is a very great phone, i would use the browser but i dont currently have a job so i wouldnt be able to afford a BB...
    03-10-09 10:45 PM
    I don't know why some of you are getting so uptight. Ravr, I have a BB with NO DATA plan at all. My monthly is $39.99 plus $5.00 for 200 text messages and thats it. I never had and never will spend what data plans cost. I have had the same plan for the last 7 years.
    well wat service are you, I mean this is a verizon thread thingy
    i am asking about vzw not tm or att or anyything else simply verizon..
    03-10-09 10:46 PM
    Anyone who claims they don't have a data plan must be mistaken or are on an old plan that has data. As ALL bb's keep a constant data connection with BB. Therefor, using data... It would cost a fortune without a data plan.

I have a feeling you just want a BlackBerry to have a BlackBerry... Go get yourself a dare instead.
    I am not quite sure this is a 100% accurate. If one turns their network off, then they are no longer using data. If the phone has no service, no data. If you don't pay your bill? No data.

The GPS in the phone may still help the SWAT team find you if you robbed the local Piggly-Wiggly, but that doesn't mean it is using data.

I had a flip phone with no data. I could access the internet and pay a veritable sh*tload of money, but I was only charged for the amount I chose to use.

03-10-09 10:52 PM
    I am not quite sure this is a 100% accurate. If one turns their network off, then they are no longer using data. If the phone has no service, no data. If you don't pay your bill? No data.

The GPS in the phone may still help the SWAT team find you if you robbed the local Piggly-Wiggly, but that doesn't mean it is using data.

I had a flip phone with no data. I could access the internet and pay a veritable sh*tload of money, but I was only charged for the amount I chose to use.

well i do know that BB's connect to the data thingy mabober every so times an hour but i can block that and take off data plan or will vzw just flatout pwn me? and u had t-mo with the flip and wat are you using now? please i need vzw people to answer this because i dont want to waiste like 150 bucks and have a bb but cant pay the bill... is it possible if so wat do i need to do? Have you had success with out a data plan on VERIZON??
    03-10-09 10:59 PM
    If you have a smartphone, you cannot remove the data plan without dropping the smartphone.

03-10-09 11:01 PM
    well wat service are you, I mean this is a verizon thread thingy
    i am asking about vzw not tm or att or anyything else simply verizon..
    I am sorry if I invaded your Verizon space. My BB and I will be very happy with our $50.00 monthly bill and NO DATA PLAN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    03-10-09 11:03 PM
    If you have a smartphone, you cannot remove the data plan without dropping the smartphone.

but i have had answers from people saying yes. there has been several things on this forum answering this question, i just dont feel i have gotten a clear answer. Let those speak who have been able to do so or you know that it is possible..
    03-10-09 11:03 PM
    Here is a thread covering about 16 months worth of posts, with several VZW reps & managers weighing in on the issue.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/bla...-package-7030/

Trust me - it isn't possible.

03-10-09 11:10 PM
    okay im so bumbed out now...
    03-10-09 11:12 PM
    "Default Answer Found!!!!!!
    I just got off the phone with a customer representative in VZW Arizona Call center.

Me- "I wanted to get some information about Blackberry Data Packages. I don't have a blackberry rite now, but I was wondering what the smallest plan was"

V.R.-"Ok, the first thing I want to let you know is that you DO NOT have to have a data package in order to use the blackberry. The only things that won't work is internet/email, video/picture messaging. "

Me- "So your telling me. I can get a blackberry without a blackberry data package. LOL. Your kidding me. A local representative told me its mandatory and it won't work without it."

V.R- "Nope. You'll have full function of the phone. I swear to God. I just got done doing it 10 minutes ago with another customer."

Me- "Dude, your a Godsend. No one could give me a straight answer since the new Pearl came out for VZW."

SO THERE WE GO....THERES ARE ANSWER!!!!

YOU DO NOT NEED A DATA PACKAGE*

*When purchasing a blackberry. A data plan will auto associate with the new phone. Most vzw store representatives will NOT know that you can remove it still have full functionality. A quick call to VZW (611 from the phone) you can have the Data and Regional Data plan removed. With no Data plan, the BB can not access the VZW BB servers, therefore no Data usage (per Kilobyte) will be used" "Hmmm well it was on my bill, (just last month)the CSR who put it on my plan spent many minutes with me on hold while she talked to her manager about how I could get around having to spend 24.99 for the cheapest data plan, finally she came back and said well here you go a 9.00 plan but don't go on the net.

It doesn't shock me people haven't heard of a 9.00 plan... must be kinda like the 3 different CSR's I talked to who never heard of the 29.99 unlimited data plan either? " thats wat i found... i have no clue
    03-10-09 11:18 PM
    well i do know that BB's connect to the data thingy mabober every so times an hour but i can block that and take off data plan or will vzw just flatout pwn me? and u had t-mo with the flip and wat are you using now? please i need vzw people to answer this because i dont want to waiste like 150 bucks and have a bb but cant pay the bill... is it possible if so wat do i need to do? Have you had success with out a data plan on VERIZON??
    I don't recall saying that the BB doesn't connect to something, because I do not know the answer to that. My POINT was that BBs are not using any data that you are charged for when you are not connected to the internet, emailing, texting, etc. If every BB did that, then everyone's data usage would be the exact same amount every month.

And look, if you are getting frustrated you could call Verizon and ask them. They will be able to give a clear cut answer. That will take what? A milisecond?

I am on my BB 8320, and I already know that I need a data plan unless I can use wi-fi at home. Since VZW doesn't have wi-fi you will not even have that option.

You also failed to mention in your OP what references were required of the people whom you wanted to try and help you. Maybe you should do that next time.

03-10-09 11:20 PM
83 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD