The GPS on my Curve stopped working about the time I upgraded to the official Alltel 4.5.0.127. BlackBerry Maps would state "unable to acquire GPS lock" after a long delay. Running the GPS diagnostics failed as well (timeout).

Judging from all the other posts I've seen on here recently with people having GPS issues on their curves, I'm guessing that 4.5.0.127 has broken GPS. Does someone have 4.5.0.127 running on their 8330 (and without Telenav) with a working GPS in BlackBerry Maps?

Alltel BlackBerry support was not very helpful. The suggested that if I purchased Telenav for a month, it might fix the problem, but no guarantees. Gosh, thanks!

I'm going to upgrade to (Sprint's) 4.5.0.131 and will report back on whether it fixes the GPS issue for me.

Edit: 4.5.0.131 is a Sprint OS. You must remove your vendor.xml file before installing! Please see the posts about upgrading your OS in the Curve 83xx forum here for details.
    Last edited by studcookie; 03-11-09 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Adding info on removing vendor.xml file
    03-10-09 08:31 AM
    I can confirm that my upgrade 4.5.0.131 does, in fact, enable GPS for BlackBery Maps.

Incidentally, my upgrade from 4.3 to the 4.5.0.89 did not break GPS. For some reason, perhaps accidentally, they seem to have disabled GPS in 4.5.0.127.
    03-10-09 08:57 AM
    This is the exact path i'm planning to take. Just downloaded 131 and we'll see.

I share this frustration and am really surprised that Alltel would have this knowledge available to each person that calls in.

I guess what i'm thinking is as Verizon moves in, they'll lock more and more but if i read other forums correctly, BBmaps was unlocked a while back so why it's locked for Alltel I dono.
    03-10-09 09:25 AM
    Thanks for confirming that with us. I'm going to do the 131 update in the next day or two. 127 was crap!
    03-10-09 09:25 AM
    Boom! Back in action. BBmaps found my location after only 20 seconds or so? Geeze almost seemed like how it's supposed to work.

Kinda playing around with it now to see if I have to run BBmaps b4 I run other apps (google, amAze) or not.

Thanks for the original post to pushing up to 131. Never knew you could load another carrier's OS, kinda figured it would hose it all.
    03-10-09 12:28 PM
    4.5.0.127 broke GPS on Alltel 8130 (Pearl) and the 8330 (Curve). I took the Pearl back because multitap was getting on my nerves. Love the Curve. But once I upgraded via Desktop Manager the damn GPS was hosed.

So I tried the 30 day Telenav trial, and what do you know... GPS works great. BB Maps and Google Maps however, didn’t work. .

I had "thought" it was because I used DM to do the upgrade, so I pulled the 4.5.0.127 from the Alltel link on blackberry.com. Same results. At least at 4.5.0.89, I'm able to get intermittent results. So I've downgraded.

I found this post, and downloaded the 4.5.0.131 sprint installer, ran it, and it said it completed successfully. However when I go into Settings -> About, it still says 4.5.0.127. And the GPS is still not working. Do I need to wipe the device or something before doing this?

I'm pretty new to the blackberry, so if I missed something obvious, I apologize for my ignorance.

I've tried searching on this, but have yet to find anything.
    03-10-09 09:50 PM
    That happened cause 131 is not an Alltel release. You have to delete the vendor.xml file to load another OS.
    03-10-09 11:32 PM
    That happened cause 131 is not an Alltel release. You have to delete the vendor.xml file to load another OS.
    Danke! I'll give that a shot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-09 12:14 AM
    Had to register to let you know it worked for me and say thanks. The GPS has been driving me nuts. Good job, guys.
    03-11-09 06:17 AM
    I got .131 downloaded and I remembered to delete the xml file. I have a question about the settings. If you go to options->advanced options->gps-> then under GPS data source my curve is showing two options. Either "device GPS" or "Blackberry 8330" which one is the correct option?? I do have the GPS services set to "Location ON"
    03-11-09 08:56 AM
    This did the trick. BB Map gets 8 sat locks almost instantly. Thanks! Just a note that could help newbies like me. I had to remove DM first cause it wouldn't do the upgrade with it installed. Trmcrhodes, I checked and I still have device GPS only. I would say test them both and see which works. But like I said, I'm a newbie.

03-11-09 12:35 PM
    This did the trick. BB Map gets 8 sat locks almost instantly. Thanks! Just a note that could help newbies like me. I had to remove DM first cause it wouldn't do the upgrade with it installed. Trmcrhodes, I checked and I still have device GPS only. I would say test them both and see which works. But like I said, I'm a newbie.

how did you do the upgrade if you removed DM?
    03-11-09 01:23 PM
    i downloaded and installed the sprint os, deleted the vendor file, but DM says theres no available software even after i go into the update and select it. any ideas?
    03-11-09 01:24 PM
    Same thing happened with me. I'm sure there is a better way, but I've not had a lot of free time to search. I took a backup in dm, then uninstalled it. I launched the sprint exe and after it finished it prompted me to run the loader. It is actually bundled with the sprint exe, so no dm needed. Before I started the loader I got rid of the vendor file. The process took bout 30 mins. Then I reinstalled DM and was set. There is prob a way to do this without the uninstall, so maybe someone else can chime in. That worked for me, but I usually take the brute force approach.

03-11-09 05:21 PM
    i decided to experiment and use some program in the apploader folder. didn't work so well... didn't transfer any of my 3rd party stuff over or blackberry messenger and i've spent all day trying to get everything back to normal. i tried using the backup i made before i started but that only restores part of it. but i have gps.... yay...
    03-11-09 06:44 PM
    i decided to experiment and use some program in the apploader folder. didn't work so well... didn't transfer any of my 3rd party stuff over or blackberry messenger and i've spent all day trying to get everything back to normal. i tried using the backup i made before i started but that only restores part of it. but i have gps.... yay...
    It's almost exciting that you have your GPS back even though the rest of your berry is toast isn't it? g'luck...
    03-11-09 07:08 PM
    Can someone post (link) to detailed instructions on installing the Sprint OS pertaining ( EDIT- Found it thanks!!)
    Last edited by darkenberry; 03-14-09 at 10:08 AM.
    03-13-09 10:22 PM
    Seriously ??

Did you check out the upgrade thread STICKIED at the top of the Curve forum section?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...nguage-152163/
    03-14-09 07:53 AM
    Stupid newbie question: If I'm putting a Sprint OS on an Alltel phone, do I lose anything?

Also, would this have been fixed with: BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.177 (Multilanguage)? Or, is .177 just .127 in sheeps clothing?
    03-14-09 01:51 PM
    No, because it's not really Sprint's OS.

RIM creates and releases ALL the OS versions. They then release them to the carriers so that the carriers can test them to be sure that they work with their network. Once the carrier is satisfied that it works with their network, they release the OS to the public.

If you are seeing a version 4.5.0.177 for the 8330 somewhere, it is NOT an official release and is a BETA. The latest official release is linked above.
    03-14-09 03:01 PM
    Apparently it is a valid version, but it's the package version, instead of the actual software version:

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.177 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.5.0.177
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 4.5.0.127
    Software Platform: 3.4.0.20
    File name: 8330uAMEA_PBr4.5.0_rel177_PL3.4.0.20_A4.5.0.127_Al lTel.exe
    File size: 81.97MB

- - - -

Regardless, I have since popped my cherry with my first upgrade (to .131). It was pretty funny how nervous I was doing it, but have no issues doing installs/upgrades on my servers at work.
    03-14-09 08:06 PM
    Yeah, that (4.5.0.177) is not the OS version number. The OS version number in the information you listed is 4.5.0.127.

For the .131 release, you'll see that the package version is 4.5.0.188.
    03-14-09 08:25 PM
    I've been real frustrated with the gps problem on my Alltel curve for at least the last 2 months. I had the gps function on Blackberry Maps and Google Maps until after my first or second operating system upgrade. It hasn't worked since unless I start TeleNav first which I'm not going to do. It seem pretty crazy to pay $10 a month for the gps function when you can just buy a gps. I've tried everything. Most people seem to be having good results by installing the Sprint .131 OS but I could not get my curve to recognize the Sprint version. It said my Alltel .127 version was the most current. Tonight I found new instructions to loading the Sprint version. After I installed the Sprint upgrade to the Desktop I had to disconnect my Internet connection before I tried to upgrade the Curve. It seems that Desktop Manager checks the Curve OS then checks the Carrier version to see it it is current. Every time I tried to upgrade while I was connected to the Internet I got a message that an upgrade was not needed. The very first time I tried the upgrade after I disconnected my Internet connection it worked. My Alltel Curve is now running the Sprint .131 OS and my gps is working.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...eta-os-122851/
    03-15-09 08:37 PM
    Interesting. All I had to do was delete the vendor.xml and it worked. I was actually surfing the web while I was waiting for the OS to update from my laptop.
    03-16-09 10:49 AM
    Interesting. All I had to do was delete the vendor.xml and it worked. I was actually surfing the web while I was waiting for the OS to update from my laptop.
    Here is a wonderment. Wonder if all you have to do is delete the vendor file regardless of the download version and vendor? Wonder if the instruction that breaks the gps is in the vendor.xml file? Wonder if you deleted the vendor.xml file in the Alltel upgrade if that would fix the Alltel upgrade? Aren't the operating systems all developed by Blackberry?

I'm just wondering. I'm not trying any of these because my gps is working now.
    Last edited by sarivers; 03-17-09 at 06:42 AM.
    03-16-09 07:41 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD