hi im new here so please bear with me without flamming me.

i got some question regarding the battery pull thingy.

when you all say do a battery pull, do i need to switch off my bb first then pull out the battery AFTER THE PHONE IS OFF
    or
    Just staright away pull out the Batter WHEN THE PHONE IS ON ?

and also does this battery pull have the same functions or benefits as
    Quick Pull app or the alt+caps+del key combination ??

i've browse some of the threads but none of them explained this detail.
    thank you.
    03-10-09 04:10 AM
    Nope, just take the cover off, rip the battery out, wait a minute, put it back in, put the cover on and wait for it to boot up.

It is supposed to accomplish the same thing, but some of use feel that a real battery pull is somehow much more satisfying, lol.

Chris
    03-10-09 04:11 AM
    @tronyx
    so no need to turn the phone off ?
    just straght away pull the battery when the phone is on right ?
    03-10-09 04:18 AM
    no need to turn the phone off
    03-10-09 04:18 AM
    @tronyx
    so no need to turn the phone off ?
    just straght away pull the battery when the phone is on right ?
    That's correct.

Chris
    03-10-09 04:24 AM
    I guess the battery pull is also helpful when the system is completely locked up and you can't seem to do anything on the device. I'm not sure if the alt-right shift-del would still work in such circumstances.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-09 05:26 AM
    I guess the battery pull is also helpful when the system is completely locked up and you can't seem to do anything on the device. I'm not sure if the alt-right shift-del would still work in such circumstances.

Good point. For all intensive purposes though, I believe that they both invoke the same result.

Chris
    03-10-09 05:48 AM
    Is there any danger in losing data with immediate battery pull? I think that's the point of the thread and whether keys combination is a safer method

03-10-09 06:27 AM
    I've never pulled the battery out as of yet. Never had my Bold freeze up on me. I use the alt + caps + delete and it always works fine for me. Resets my memory back to its usual 65-75MB. I've also just downloaded the Quick Pull app so I'll try that out when I need to restart.
    03-10-09 07:04 AM
    I find it much easier to do a battery pull with the app Quickpull...its free and sits in your menu list...all you do is click on it and press yes to initiate the battery pull.

Also with the new version of Quickpull you can schedule batt pulls at whatever time you want...i usually do mine when im asleep. Works great and is much easier than having to pull the battery cover off etc.
    03-10-09 07:17 AM
    also, if your phone does freeze up you would not be able to power it down first, no harm in pulling the battery out while the phone is still on.
    03-10-09 07:31 AM
    The thing with quickpull is in my opinion (but I'm maybe wrong)... is that it cannot fully simulate a battery pull.

When you pull the battery, you are removing all the RAM entries including corruptions, by removing the power source. I can't see how this could be simulated properly. If software is the problem, I doubt that in every case the solution can be software.

Many years of being a desktop support technician has taught me if a reboot doesnt work, remove all power and that probably will.

I'd rather physically pull the battery myself to be as sure as I can.
    03-10-09 09:39 AM
    The thing with quickpull is in my opinion (but I'm maybe wrong)... is that it cannot fully simulate a battery pull.

When you pull the battery, you are removing all the RAM entries including corruptions, by removing the power source. I can't see how this could be simulated properly. If software is the problem, I doubt that in every case the solution can be software.

Many years of being a desktop support technician has taught me if a reboot doesnt work, remove all power and that probably will.

I'd rather physically pull the battery myself to be as sure as I can.
    I'm pretty certain that QuickPull actually turns my device off then on again. That is the same as a battery pull, I think.
    03-10-09 09:54 AM
    Quickpull resolves most of the issues, and is much easier on the hardware. You pull that cover off enough times and it's going to start rattling.
    03-10-09 09:56 AM
    hi im new here so please bear with me without flamming me.

i got some question regarding the battery pull thingy.

when you all say do a battery pull, do i need to switch off my bb first then pull out the battery AFTER THE PHONE IS OFF
    or
    Just staright away pull out the Batter WHEN THE PHONE IS ON ?

and also does this battery pull have the same functions or benefits as
    Quick Pull app or the alt+caps+del key combination ??

i've browse some of the threads but none of them explained this detail.
    thank you.
    I only flame people on the weekends. I prefer using Quick Pull to actually pulling the Batt out.
    03-10-09 09:57 AM
    Quickpull resolves most of the issues, and is much easier on the hardware. You pull that cover off enough times and it's going to start rattling.
    I guess its a personal preference. I prefer to do it manually and prefer not to bulk up on apps that I dont really need. I look after my faux leather cover
    03-10-09 09:59 AM
    I'm pretty certain that QuickPull actually turns my device off then on again. That is the same as a battery pull, I think.
    Quickpull doesn't remove the power source from your device.

Rebooting =/= physically pulling the battery out of your Blackberry.

They often achieve the same result but they're not exactly the same thing.
    03-10-09 10:46 AM
    It could have been an intensive purpose.
    03-11-09 10:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD