I plan on getting a blackberry bold without a gsm or data plan since over 90% i have wifi access.

Obviously I would need a wifi signal to receive an email but would i be able to view my emails that i have previously received without any signal. Like look at previous emails if im on the road or something with no hotspot.
    03-09-09 07:54 PM
    Yep, the emails are stored on the BB.

I think that's what you were asking?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-09 08:58 PM
    k thanks....thats what i thought i just had to be sure.
    cant wait till i get one...im going to have a sweet setup

im going to basically only be paying $1 a month+4cents per outgoing txt + 1cent per incoming + 15cents per minute....because im going to set up a voip server on one of my old computers

andddd im going to write an IM client on my home pc to foward all my IM's to my email....plus have an email client that fowards them back to the IM Screenname......this way i wont miss an IM under the rare occasion that im between 2 hotspots.
    03-09-09 09:09 PM
    Before we even go that far..

I think the BB data plan is required to even receive e-mail.
    03-09-09 09:11 PM
    yeah im pretty sure wifi is just for apps and browser
    03-09-09 09:12 PM
    Why get a BlackBerry Bold for just Wi-Fi? When anyone decides to get a BlackBerry it's always recommended to have a BlackBerry Data & Voice plan.

It sounds to me than you may be better off investing in something else that better suits your needs. Maybe a Netbook?

Just an opinion

BTW I am a very happy Bold owner.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-09 09:18 PM
    forums.crackberry.com/f52/email-over-wifi-without-data-plan-newbie-8728/
    "I purchased the 8320 last week. I am using it on the T-mobile network. I do not have the data plan, and I can still access my email (gmail, yahoo, and hotmail) on my curve when I am connected to any WiFi network. It is possible. However, the Opera-mini browser will not work without the data plan if that is what you are trying to access it on. If you have any other questions. You do not have to pay the $20/month to use the WiFi."

so i dont need the plan right?
    03-09-09 09:19 PM
    I guess you need to figure out when they say "access my email" if that means going online to check it or if they're using an app or if it gets pushed to the device. Because to my knowledge, to have email pushed to the device, you need to have BIS and BIS is required to set up BB data.
    Last edited by elocin.j; 03-09-09 at 09:41 PM.
    03-09-09 09:25 PM
    im trying to find out more about "push email" and cant seem to find too much. If someone knows a good website that explains it thoroughly could you please post it.

If i know all the logistics behind it opposed to a regular email client i might be able to set it up myself.

uhhh...i guess its gona take me a month now to find the time to get everything working before i purchase the phone.

EDIT: logicprobe.org/proj/logicmail
    Last edited by coldpizza721; 03-09-09 at 10:09 PM.
    03-09-09 09:52 PM
    I'm not too sure bout logistics, I only know that it magically shows up in your Messages folder when you get new e-mail.

Not to be negative or anything, but I think that might be a bit hard to find out. It's exactly because of push mail that BB's so great. I think the technology is specific to RIM. I don't see them letting go of that info easily, but good luck! Keep us posted. Let us know what you intend to do.
    Last edited by elocin.j; 03-10-09 at 08:33 PM.
    03-10-09 08:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD