I'm having some strange issues with my 8220...

For several weeks it has failed to give any kind of call-waiting notification. I don't realize I missed a call until I end the current one.

Last Friday, my 8220 rebooted for no apparent reason around mid-day. Strange, I thought. On the drive home from work it re-booted itself again, and no sooner than it finished re-booting it re-booted AGAIN. The T-mo fave five app often fails on a restart.

Since then it has done several partial restarts. The best way I can describe it is a "radio reset". Both screens go blank for about 10 seconds, then all radios - Edge, WiFi, and Bluetooth, go off-line and come back up. It also says a media card was inserted. I have an 8Gb Transcend card that is not being removed.

It seemed to be OK on Saturday. I put it down for the night with a little over 50% battery remaining. Sunday morning the battery was completely discharged.

Monday morning (today) it again did a "radio reset". I then did a battery pull to give it a clean start. When I got to work the charge indicator (lightning bolt on the battery) stayed on after it was disconnected from the charger. The external display would not time out, and it would not establish a USB connection to my PC. I did a battery pull and re-installed .180 (T-Mo's suggestion). It has done another "radio reset" since re-installing.

Is this hardware? Software? I use Google Maps, Viigo, and Bolt regularly. No software installation or confi change corresponds to the problem. I did apply Ghost Armor to it, but that also does not correspond to when the problems started (not completely happy with GA either...).

Suggestions? Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this
    03-09-09 12:39 PM
    if I were you I would get rid of all the apps that didn't come pre installed and see if that helps. if it does, then you should add the apps back (fresh installs) one by one to try to see which ones are causing the problem.
    03-09-09 12:49 PM
    try it also for a while without the media card in it... a faulty memory could get the phone to do wierd actions ( happened to me once on a motorola krzr)
    03-09-09 06:50 PM
    In the words of Dr. McCoy - "It's dead, Jim."

I have reloaded the core apps. I have done a backup, wipe, and restore of 4.6.0.180. I have done a wipe and clean install of 4.6.0.180 (no restore). The problem remains - it re-boots randomly. Sometimes is restarts after one reboot. Sometimes two. Once it took an hour of re-boots before it came back to life. Yesterday afternoon it went into "re-boot" mode and never came out.

Another quirk - three times I have put it down for the night with a full charge and found the battery very warm and almost depleted the next morning. Something is staying on all night. Radios... camera... or maybe an app that runs away with the CPU.

I have run it with my 8GB media card, the 256MB card, and no media card. No difference.

This morning I wiped it and installed just enough pieces of .180 to make it functional (no games, etc). It has re-booted once so far, but at least it works... sort of. The volume keys no longer work to scroll through new messages on the outer screen.

T-Mo is sending me a new one. I'd use my MDA until the new 8220 arrives, but the battery is about shot. I'd rather limp on the current 8220 for a few days... if I can get it to stay up.
    03-13-09 12:31 PM
    same exact thing happened to me starting monday also. various reloads of .180 did not fix it. i removed the media card, left it bone stock with no additional programs, and it still kept resetting. new one arrives monday.
    03-13-09 02:59 PM
    This almost has to be a hardware failure. After my "stripped down" reload this morning the Flip ran for about three hours before randomly re-booting again.
    03-13-09 03:48 PM
    stick with 222
    03-13-09 04:27 PM
    stick with 222

i tried .180, .209, ,222, .236. none of them worked for more than a few hours. this is more than just a software issue.
    03-14-09 12:16 PM
    I've been back on the old MDA for two days now. I'm having crackberry withdrawl... HELP!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-09 07:42 PM
    I've been back on the old MDA for two days now. I'm having crackberry withdrawl... HELP!
    i hear you. i've been on an 8100 since thursday and I want to throw this tiny little keyboard out the window! i can't type on it!
    03-15-09 12:29 PM
    Yay! The new one is here!
    03-18-09 12:16 AM
    Don't do a backup and restore to the new device, do the "device switch wizard" instead.

It might save you from encountering some problems.
    03-18-09 04:53 AM
    Hi! I find my 8220 very glitchy. My daughter's pic will come up when someone else calls (sometimes) the ring tone will change occasionally, a lot of weird little crap. I think it's probably just a weird little phone. I'm not going to do anything yet though. I'm disappointed. Never had problems with my other Blackberrys.
    04-01-09 12:17 PM
    They need to work on how and when the outer screen is updated. It's very common for me to be on a call and have the outer display show the previous call. Sometimes new message notifications that I have cleared will appear again during a call when there are no new messages waiting.
    04-03-09 03:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD