How many people here have bought Blackberry's for personal use and then ended up putting up a BES Express server at work so they could stay more in touch at work and have full sync with everything in Outlook? I know as soon as I found a spare box, I installed BES Express and after my boss seeing how quick I was at responding to e-mail when I wasn't in the office, decided to order a BB on Thursday and now I get to call RIM and get another license for our BES for him.
    03-03-07 12:47 PM
    There is one way to "brown nose" the boss....
    03-03-07 02:44 PM
    There is one way to "brown nose" the boss....

Until he comes in tomorrow with the new BB's and want me to hook them up to the BES server and I can't because of MS's patches breaking the Send As permissions. I'm going nuts trying to fix this and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912918 has just confused the hell outa me even more.
    03-03-07 03:35 PM
    Now you wish you hadnt started
    03-03-07 04:01 PM
    Now I'm wishing I would've stayed in Network Security on the Pen team instead of moving up the ladder. It was less stressfull and from someone that's had a stroke recently, it's not fun dealing with this and still trying to keep the stress level down so I don't have another.
    03-03-07 04:32 PM
    Installed the patch last night, and so far, so good!

But, the KB ending in 388 killed our BES, last week. It was a nightmare. Nonetheless am keeping my fingers crossed. I only control 20 devices, but, damn, sometimes seems like a 100...
    03-03-07 09:06 PM
    Question about BES and Corporate Exchange set-ups. If I were to get the BES option added to my Cingular acct, I'm assuming that I could give this info to the Exchange Admins and they could allow me to set up my BB to get the full Outlook sync going.

Assuming that all works, what does this do to the current BIS accounts I have on my BB? Does all the traffic for this go through the BES at work. Not that I'm terribly concerned, but if I'm doing career research or something, I'd rather not have that stuff going over the corporate network.

Just curious before I make the jump to get the BES setup....
    03-04-07 05:40 PM
    Your IT Department just add's your name to the BES server and gives you a password. Then you goto Enterprise Activation and type in your company e-mail and the password they give you and then click activate.

All your contacts, calenders, notes, memo's and a certain amount of e-mail from your Exchange acount will pull down. Then from that point on, all your outlook information will sync wiht your BB. Your BIS account will still be there so that's not a problem unless your IT department sends down a policy that doesn't allow 3rd party programs, etc.

IMHO, never put your own personal BB on the company BES because they can see EVERYTHING you do from there on out. I do it because I"m in charge of the network and I make the policy's. If that ever changes then I'll pull my BB off the BES server and use it for personal only again.

If anyone ever needs any assistance setting up a BES server, contact me and I'll be more then glad to help. My rates are cheap and the more people I can get addicted, the better.
    03-04-07 06:23 PM
    I agree with audit01, 100%

Unless you have a friend, or just a nice person in I.T., becareful about connecting it to BES...
    03-04-07 07:36 PM
    Thanks for the info. I had my own BB, and I have a need for getting one with the company--I just didn't want to carry 2 of them around. But I definitely don't want anyone from my company snooping around what my device does.

I guess I may need to carry 2 around.

Thanks again everyone...
    03-04-07 09:31 PM
    Here's what it logs for calls,

PhoneCallLog_20070305.CSV

"Name.ID","Type of Call","Name","Phone Number","Start Date","Server Log Date","Elapsed Time","Memo","Command","UID"
    "My Name.12","Outgoing","Who I called","Number that I called","2007/03/05 13:19:50","2007/03/05 08:39:17","00:07:51","","Add","626825195"

So as you can see, the 1 call I made today was logged. I don't have full logging turned on because frankly I don't care since I was the only one on the BES server.
    03-05-07 08:13 AM
    I really must check our logs. I hardly ever check them. Then again, no one can do jack except I.T. Admin. And, that's me, and 1 other person...
    03-05-07 02:57 PM
    I just decided to check mine today for the first time since I set it up. Didn't see anything I didn't expect to see already.
    03-05-07 03:09 PM
    audit01, what are the other types of things logged? How many event types are there?
    05-08-07 04:10 PM
    SMS, Phone, Email, Internet if your not using the standard Blackberry Browser. Mainly all the standard things you do on your BB that uses the BES server.
    05-09-07 08:32 AM
    I really must check our logs. I hardly ever check them. Then again, no one can do jack except I.T. Admin. And, that's me, and 1 other person...
    Our company is the same way actually.. I never check the logs unless there is a problem. It is nice being in IT, get away with a lot.

BTW: Where in Atlanta do you work.. I am in midtown..
    05-11-07 03:13 PM
    Roswell Road

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-07 04:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD