Hi guys,

I'm sure this is the question that gets asked the most, I wanted to see your prospective in my situation.

So, currently I have a regular old phone that needs to be badly upgraded. I am a new law student that will be living in New York, and I want this to factor into my decision. If you guys can help me with any advice, that would be great!

I'm looking for a phone where I will have quick access to my email and messaging services. I need a phone with quick and easy access to the internet. I'm sure both the Iphone and BB can do these things. I guess, what I'm asking is as a law/graduate student which would be most beneficial for me? I love the Iphone because of its polish and ability to be a multimedia powerhouse with apps such as yelp and itunes which I use extensively; the battery life scares me a bit, however. Basically I'm wondering if the bold would be better for me? I've never used a BB in my life, but my g/f swears by her BB. She probably could grind her curve up into powder and snort it--that good.

Thanks
    03-07-09 11:39 AM
    go bold. its better for e-mail which you'll be using a lot of for school. The bold also has better multimedia capabilities than your g/f's curve so whatever her's can do the bold will do better. also, if you use your phone a lot, with the bb you can do a battery swap and have a full charge again. With the Iphone, the battery is built into the phone and you cant swap it..... just a few things to think about
    03-07-09 11:48 AM
    Bold = a working person's machine

Iphone = games, video, and funkness.

If you want a toy, get the iphone. If you want a business phone get the bold. Go to a store and try them both out. U may or may not like the physical keyboard, size, etc.
    03-07-09 11:49 AM
    I didn't know you need a special phone for a law student? What do you do? Making an argument over a phone? You don't need a Bold to do that. Any phone would do. I guess if the president of the U.S has a blackberry, then the Bold isn't too bad for you.
    Last edited by silkshocker; 03-07-09 at 11:53 AM.
    03-07-09 11:51 AM
    im a law student too, go with a bold. the iphone is more a toy than a work machine. for email and docs, which is most of the stuff youll be doing, you wanna get a bold. the iphone wont offer anymore useful things for a law student, and a real keyboard is a must
    03-07-09 11:59 AM
    As a law student you're obviously looking for something that is also going to equip you in yuor future job - as in, you don't want to one device and have to switch everything over when you're some fancy corporate attorney and find out a different device suits your needs better.

For that reason I recommend the Bold. You're going to notice two things I think that are primarily going to differentiate the Bold from the iPhone for your purposes:

1. The speed of how quickly you can access and send messages of all kinds back and fourth. It's incredible how much easier you can quickly send an e-mail or SMS from your Bold in comparison with the iPhone. Especially if you're someone that is using both SMS and e-mail, thus having to switch applications on the iPhone.

2. The ability to store files for easy accessability, as well as make edits to Word docs and Excel sheets seems to me like it could be a pretty powerful tool as someone who might be on the fly a lot. The e-mail app for the iPhone will let you send and receive attachments, but there is no built-in mechanism for using the iPhone as a document storage device which I think would be a very hand tool in your career.

All in all, you just need to do what the previous posters have said: Ask yourself if you want a phone that is more productivity-based or media-based. That should answer your question pretty quickly.
    03-07-09 12:20 PM
    I just got the bb bold and the ipod touch. Best of both worlds on the ipod touch u can also connect to the internet where wifi is available. I only liked the iphone for the fun factor

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-09 12:22 PM
    thanks for your responses, they have been very helpful... the debate rages on xD

I just got the bb bold and the ipod touch. Best of both worlds on the ipod touch u can also connect to the internet where wifi is available. I only liked the iphone for the fun factor
    that is not a bad idea at all...hrmmm
    Last edited by youngkyun739; 03-07-09 at 12:28 PM.
    03-07-09 12:24 PM
    thanks for your responses, they have been very helpful... the debate rages on xD

that is not a bad idea at all...hrmmm

I would second that if I could afford it. The Bold/Touch option seems fantastic.
    03-07-09 12:46 PM
    I have both the iPhone and the bold.... I would say as a law student i would go with the Bold just because blackberries email system is amazing. iPhone isn't a bad phone though, if you were a med student i would say go with the iPhone because the app's they have for medicine epocrates etc. are really good on the iphone.
    03-07-09 01:31 PM
    Go for the Bold! Its strong point is email! but has the power the looks to be a nice toy for play time. it's an do all device
    03-07-09 01:45 PM
    What does it really matter which phone you get? As a law student, you'll likely almost always have your laptop nearby.
    Any pda is good enough. When you do need constant email access, your firm will provide you with a blackberry.

03-07-09 02:09 PM
    What law school are you going to btw? I may be doing oci interviews in nyc for my firm (if I'm not laid off).

03-07-09 02:10 PM
    For a law student go with the Bold its a lot more professional. The iPhone is all play, won't be good for work.

03-07-09 02:38 PM
    I have both the bold and the ipod touch. best of both worlds and then some. i prefer a blackberry over the iphone but i have so much more respect for apple and what they have accomplished by experimenting with the ipod touch. both are great devices imo.
    03-07-09 02:56 PM
    I have both the iPhone and the bold.... I would say as a law student i would go with the Bold just because blackberries email system is amazing. iPhone isn't a bad phone though, if you were a med student i would say go with the iPhone because the app's they have for medicine epocrates etc. are really good on the iphone.
    i second that about the apps since i am in medical school. they are a life savior literally. now if i can find an app with surgical instruments for the OR i am all set.
    03-07-09 02:58 PM
    My gf is in law school and she swears by palm because of super easy cross compatability with office/word/outlook to manage all of her tasks and such.

03-07-09 03:50 PM
    Bold ...

And load it with good grammar, usage, sentence construction, and spelling tools. As a prospective lawyer, your perspective on these items appears to need a little "halp".

Last edited by taddley; 03-07-09 at 03:58 PM.
    03-07-09 03:55 PM
    Go with the iPhone, it will be your best choice.

What? Somebody had to say it.

Seriously, I bet you got a similar thread open on some iPhone forum someplace. We can tell you what the Bold can do, and some of us can tell you what the iPhone can't do. But you'll never know for sure until you use both phones.

But hey, you'll be robbing people blind and losing your soul in a few years, might as well get them both for practice
    03-07-09 04:08 PM
    Bold + iPod touch = perfect combination
    03-07-09 04:11 PM
    Hey dude. Where you going to school? I'm at St. John's Law. Anyway, go with the bold. You can download a nice today theme for it and have all your upcoming appointments/classes/assignments right there on your home screen. Plus, the internet is really fast and displays well, messaging always works flawlessly, and its sooo much easier to type on. I've tried both, definitely go for the bold.

And good luck in school.
    03-07-09 04:42 PM
    Personally i find the iphone to be much more functional. But im inclined to say Bold cause its more professional looking, which is what a lawyer should look like. I use both but if i had to choose one id go with iphone, thats just me though.

03-07-09 05:09 PM
    Thanks for the replies again I'll be going to cardozo law school. I think I'm leaning heavily towards the bold as it seems the more practical choice...

hey gbadude...could you you expand more on why the iphone is more functional? thanks!
    03-07-09 05:19 PM
    My son is in law school in FL and is interning at a law firm his last semester. He currently has a Sidekick (ugh!). He is going with the Bold, but thought about the iphone. IMO the Bold is a much more professional device. The Bold plus ipod Touch is a great idea, best of both worlds!
    03-07-09 05:32 PM
    Oh, and good luck to you!
    03-07-09 05:33 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD