I just go my bold, and I can't seem to get my wifi to work

everytime I go to the browser I get "Unable to connect to the Internet, please try again later. If the problem persists please contact your service provider."

I don't have a data plan, so I turned off data services (this made my wifi icon go gray) ...do I need this on and does it mean I'm using data.

I changed the options so that I'm using the hotspot browser.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but could someone please help. Basically I need to use wifi, but need to make sure that I never use data from the network (at least until I change my plan)

thanks
    Last edited by stuckfugu; 03-06-09 at 11:11 PM.
    03-06-09 10:54 PM
    On my ATT Bold the browsers won't connect if Data Services are turned off. Once turned on then it will connect to WiFi
    03-07-09 10:32 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry stuckfugu! If you want to be assured that you will not be using data from the network, under Manage Connections, make sure you have turned off only the mobile network. This way your Bold will only be able to access the internet using whatever Wi-Fi connection you're within proximity to and wish to use. This is considering that you have already setup Wi-Fi. Just remember that while this will work, you will have disabled your ability to send and receive calls, or text messages while browsing.

Bryan
    03-07-09 12:14 PM
    Welcome aboard, gratz on the purchase and get ready for the greatest addiction ever!

Chris
    03-09-09 03:00 AM
    OP: Be aware that your provider might charge you for bandwidth $$$ if you do not have a data plan. You do not say who you are using for service.
    03-09-09 04:03 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry stuckfugu! If you want to be assured that you will not be using data from the network, under Manage Connections, make sure you have turned off only the mobile network. This way your Bold will only be able to access the internet using whatever Wi-Fi connection you're within proximity to and wish to use. This is considering that you have already setup Wi-Fi. Just remember that while this will work, you will have disabled your ability to send and receive calls, or text messages while browsing.

Bryan
    I too have the same problem. and i've done everything that has been said. i turned off the mobile network and still the browser doesn't work. it is to say i am connected to the wireless router but to no avail the same message keeps poping up. i've called tech support and all.. and same response. just keep checking hot spots.

im starting to think is the Bold all thats cracked up to be??? any help would be much appreciated
    03-11-09 02:40 PM
    Turn on data services, turn off mobile network, turn on wifi. You won't be able to get calls, but you'll be assured that you won't be getting data charges.
    03-11-09 03:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD