Back in October I tried the storm (my first BB) and went through 4 of them with/in a month (ugh). I was fed up so I went with a LG Dare. The Dare sucks.... So I'm thinking of switching either back to the storm or waiting it out for a year and getting an Iphone. I have the Itouch which is great, I love the WiFi and the accelerometer response. So, is the storm any better or should I wait and go with an Iphone?

Thanks in advance.
    03-06-09 09:12 AM
    Depends on what you want out of it. I'd say it's better than the Dare, but it's a whole different beast from the Jesus Phone. The Jesus Phone is all about the "Look at me! Look at me! Aren't I cool? Look at what I have! Look! Can you see it? Here, let me hold it 2 inches from your face so you can get a good close look! Anyone else within earshot that I haven't shown my phone off to yet?!"

The Jesus Phone values form over function, which is VERY Apple, and it's a sad statement about our culture that this is such a successful strategy. The Storm is more function over form. Might not be much to look at in a lot of respects, but damned if you can't do just about anything you really need to with the default suite of apps.

So, it comes down to what you're looking for. If style and presentation is more important than substance, the Jesus Phone can't be beat. If you'd rather have something that gets things done, even if it's a bit plain/ugly looking, the Storm would be a better option.

Whenever it happens that the next official OS release happens, people using .75 will probably barely recognize their phones after the update.
    03-06-09 10:42 AM
    .109 makes the phone SO much better

and i completely agree with ^bigman. everything he said is definitely true
    03-06-09 10:50 AM
    id rather have an iphone but that doesnt mean the storm is shabby in any way

hands down best phone for VZW
    03-06-09 10:50 AM
    The Storm is a "Me Too!!!" device however comes up short in terms of functionality. The Storm's main drawbacks are the very unresponsive and buggy OS, lack of full html browser, and underpowered hardware.

You can consider this model in terms of smart phones:

Top tier: Android, iPhone, WinMo
    Second tier: LG Voyager, BB Storm, Samsung non WinMo
    Bottom tier: The free phone you get when you sign up for service
    03-06-09 10:54 AM
    omnia, touch pro both cannot match up with storm on VZW
    03-06-09 11:10 AM
    At first, I must admit I did hate my storm and was going to return it for something else, but after I started to install the beta OS's and apps, it became my main phone, I gave up all my other ones, so like bigman said, it's all about what you want out of your phone..

Go Storm!
    03-06-09 11:35 AM
    Thanks guys....Is the buggy-ness worked out?

The ones I had were very buggy (numerous battery pulls a day), and some were just messed up (clicking issues...etc). I use the phone mostly for keeping in touch with the family, Internet and texting and some video watching.

Can you view wmv email attatchments on the storm? I do like the fact the the storm has a video camera, and hate that the Iphone doesn't have MMS.
    03-06-09 01:48 PM
    oh yea, what about flash support, do you guys see it comming in the 'near' future???
    03-06-09 01:49 PM
    Depends on what you want out of it. I'd say it's better than the Dare, but it's a whole different beast from the Jesus Phone. The Jesus Phone is all about the "Look at me! Look at me! Aren't I cool? Look at what I have! Look! Can you see it? Here, let me hold it 2 inches from your face so you can get a good close look! Anyone else within earshot that I haven't shown my phone off to yet?!"

The Jesus Phone values form over function, which is VERY Apple, and it's a sad statement about our culture that this is such a successful strategy. The Storm is more function over form. Might not be much to look at in a lot of respects, but damned if you can't do just about anything you really need to with the default suite of apps.

So, it comes down to what you're looking for. If style and presentation is more important than substance, the Jesus Phone can't be beat. If you'd rather have something that gets things done, even if it's a bit plain/ugly looking, the Storm would be a better option.

Whenever it happens that the next official OS release happens, people using .75 will probably barely recognize their phones after the update.
    What a crock of utter bull****!!!

So a device with applications that respond uniformly, predictably, and logically is an exercise in form over function? Please.

The Storm is one big cluster-f!! Terrible GUI wrapper around an ancient OS. Non-uniform methods of getting to application settings, and actions. PATHETIC AUTO CORRECTION FOR QUERTY. Phone audio quality is not consistent. Battery life is not consistent. HTML browsing is a JOKE, especially if you have to enter any data in a text box, or select a drop down. Poor multimedia management. App World shaping up to another pile of steaming doo.

Yeah, to the OP, wait until June and then make a decision.
    03-06-09 01:53 PM
    oh yea, what about flash support, do you guys see it comming in the 'near' future???
    Not to RIM, and if it does, remember the rest of the browser is seriously half-baked. Page navigation is painful, vague and slow to render content, if at all.
    03-06-09 01:56 PM
    Back in October I tried the storm (my first BB) and went through 4 of them with/in a month (ugh). I was fed up so I went with a LG Dare. The Dare sucks.... So I'm thinking of switching either back to the storm or waiting it out for a year and getting an Iphone. I have the Itouch which is great, I love the WiFi and the accelerometer response. So, is the storm any better or should I wait and go with an Iphone?

Thanks in advance.
    I just upgraded to .109 and the phone is WORLDS better!
    You sound like you won't ever be satisfied with the Storm one way or the other so just get the iphone.
    03-06-09 01:57 PM

So a device with applications that respond uniformly, predictably, and logically is an exercise in form over function? Please.

The Storm is one big cluster-f!! Terrible GUI wrapper around an ancient OS. Non-uniform methods of getting to application settings, and actions. PATHETIC AUTO CORRECTION FOR QUERTY. Phone audio quality is not consistent. Battery life is not consistent. HTML browsing is a JOKE, especially if you have to enter any data in a text box, or select a drop down. Poor multimedia management. App World shaping up to another pile of steaming doo.

You sound like you're one big cluster-f$%k!
    Perhaps you don't know how to use the Storm?

Your Storm sucks, and sure, you're not alone...But....MY Storm works perfectly and so do many others'.

Battery life: (HOW IN THE #^$^ could Battery life be consistent unless you do the same exact thing everyday?) -wow!- I know my usage varies.
    HTML browsing: My browser is lightning fast considering the network I'm on, and while I wish it had Flash support everything else works just as it should.
    Pathetic Qwerty auto corrections: Try adding most commonly used or misspelled words dipsh!t! -I don't have a SINGLE problem. Is engrish your 2nd language?
    Phone quality: -Crystal clear. You might have earwax build up?

I could go on but you wouldn't *get it*
    03-06-09 02:05 PM
    Says the person who seems to have completely missed the point of what I said.

That's just it, they don't. You may have personally adapted to the various inconsistencies in the UI and so don't think about them anymore, but they are none of those things.

The Storm is one big cluster-f!!
    That's your opinion.

Terrible GUI wrapper around an ancient OS.
    And so which should be valued more? New and unproven, or tried and true? It's not a trick question, I'm just wondering why you think that just because something is old it is automatically bad.

Non-uniform methods of getting to application settings, and actions.
    Uniformity is the holy grail of any and all computer UI design, but no one to date has come even close. There are ALWAYS inconsistencies, because different people think in different ways. Apple and Microsoft have generally taken the approach that "easy to use" is synonymous with "remove options". The Storm, and BB OS in general, favors power and flexibility over the One True Path(tm) method of Apple and Microsoft.

PATHETIC AUTO CORRECTION FOR QUERTY.
    Maybe it's just not as good at dealing with your particular flavor of stupidity.

Phone audio quality is not consistent.
    Sounds like a network issue.

Battery life is not consistent.
    What a shocker! Different usage patterns leads to different levels of battery drain! I am just stunned... Stunned I tell you! I am literally in awe of you right now, and this amazing revelation you have shared with us all.

HTML browsing is a JOKE, especially if you have to enter any data in a text box, or select a drop down.
    It's a PHONE! The fact that you can browse the web at all should be enough.

Poor multimedia management.
    Again, it's a PHONE, not an MP3 player or video player. The fact that it can do these things should be considered gravy. People need to stop looking for this magical uber device that does everything. The more you try and be everything to everyone, the less you will be to anyone.

App World shaping up to another pile of steaming doo.
    Well I'm sorry if there aren't already 50 fart noise generators, and another dozen apps that make belching noises, but out of the dozen or so times I've asked the question, very few people can offer up any kind of an answer. I think only one person has ever even come close to answering the question. What specifically can you not do now with the Storm, that you would like to be able to do? And while the Storm might be a more consumer oriented version of the Blackberry platform, it's still has its roots as a business oriented phone. So just because it can't make farting noises doesn't count. What BUSINESS oriented functions can you not do with your Storm? As in, you go to work, and think, "Gee, wouldn't it be nice if I could do ... with my Storm?"
    03-06-09 02:21 PM
    Not to RIM, and if it does, remember the rest of the browser is seriously half-baked. Page navigation is painful, vague and slow to render content, if at all.
    I hope Flash never comes to the Storm. It's about as worthless as 99% of all Jesus Phone apps.
    03-06-09 02:22 PM

You my friend are a asshat.

If you hate the storm so much don't use it. I have had the storm for 3 weeks and have not had but a hand full of gliches. When it happens I do a battery pull and guess what problem fixed. It is a new phone there are bound to be problems here and there.

I think you Iphonie fanboys are worried. The storm has been out for less than 6 months and it is almost (not quite there as far a stable OS yet) surpassed the IPhone that has been on the market for over 2 years and is in 3rd gen.
    03-06-09 02:44 PM
    ok to be real with you it depends on what you want i use a 9500 storm on at&ts network my wife has an iphone 3g it really depends on what you want and what your goin to use it for. i like the storm more than the iphone and ive played with the iphone just as much as my storm so play with both of them and decide what you want
    03-06-09 02:46 PM
    I went through 2 storms within the 30 day worry free period, and just ended up going with a different phone last weekend... As far as the phone, it's great, loads better than the Curve it replaced, but it's the little things...Slow response, multiple resets, tilt function that doesn't always know piortrait from landscape...If it improves and gets to the quality of the old Curve, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
    03-06-09 02:52 PM
    That's just it, they don't. You may have personally adapted to the various inconsistencies in the UI and so don't think about them anymore, but they are none of those things.

Who is this 'they' that you are referring too? I see very little UI inconsistencies on the iPhone compared to the Storm, which seemingly has followed no developmental guidelines.

And so which should be valued more? New and unproven, or tried and true? It's not a trick question, I'm just wondering why you think that just because something is old it is automatically bad.

Old and simple is not bad. However, when you try and make something into something it was not designed from the ground up to do, there are serious compromises. The Storm's OS and UI is analogous to Windows 3.x. Lipstick on a pig. (A pig that MS is still wrestling with, and so will RIM)

Uniformity is the holy grail of any and all computer UI design, but no one to date has come even close. There are ALWAYS inconsistencies, because different people think in different ways. Apple and Microsoft have generally taken the approach that "easy to use" is synonymous with "remove options". The Storm, and BB OS in general, favors power and flexibility over the One True Path(tm) method of Apple and Microsoft.

I'm not opposed to options. Just implement them the same way across the board, and make developers follow guidelines. Including those developers at RIM!

Maybe it's just not as good at dealing with your particular flavor of stupidity.

I'm talking about AI that would actually learn your typing habits. Stupidity and large hands are mutually exclusive items, normally. Bigman2 being the exception.

Sounds like a network issue.

No, poor audio is a known issue that many Storm users are experiencing and you know it BM2. Besides, it can't be a network issue if with Verizon right?

What a shocker! Different usage patterns leads to different levels of battery drain! I am just stunned... Stunned I tell you! I am literally in awe of you right now, and this amazing revelation you have shared with us all.

No, I'm talking about going from full charge to DEAD in a matter of hours, without having done anything other than read email and make phone calls. And no, I don't have any apps other than GoogleMaps loaded and therefore running in the backgound.

It's a PHONE! The fact that you can browse the web at all should be enough.

Maybe that is acceptable to Storm owners that it can 'kinda' browse, but I for one find it seriously lacking and difficult to navigate compared to Mobile Safari. Not to mention the poor ability to format and present page content. If you don't have a need for decent www mobile access, then what is the point of either device?

Again, it's a PHONE, not an MP3 player or video player. The fact that it can do these things should be considered gravy. People need to stop looking for this magical uber device that does everything. The more you try and be everything to everyone, the less you will be to anyone.

WTF? That is the whole reason for these things. If that is not what you wanted, then why get one?

Well I'm sorry if there aren't already 50 fart noise generators, and another dozen apps that make belching noises, but out of the dozen or so times I've asked the question, very few people can offer up any kind of an answer. I think only one person has ever even come close to answering the question. What specifically can you not do now with the Storm, that you would like to be able to do? And while the Storm might be a more consumer oriented version of the Blackberry platform, it's still has its roots as a business oriented phone. So just because it can't make farting noises doesn't count. What BUSINESS oriented functions can you not do with your Storm? As in, you go to work, and think, "Gee, wouldn't it be nice if I could do ... with my Storm?"
    VPN
    Home Automation Control
    Remote Multimedia Control (free BTW) via WiFi
    USAA Mobile Banking
    WebEx
    FedEx Mobile
    Dynolicious (though coming for the Storm, when is the question)
    Pandora

How's that for a start BG2?
    Last edited by Oilbrnr; 03-06-09 at 04:14 PM.
    03-06-09 04:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD