Idea: an app that connects to a web site, user creates username and password and installs the mobile app on the storm (or other BlackBerry, smartphone, GPS nav device) If you ever lose it or have it stolen, you can log into your account online and activate SelfDestruct. At this time, the phones GPS starts sending it's coordinates to the website and the phone locks itself, rendering it unaccessable for the person who has it or finds it.

Sounds like a pretty useful app if you ask me, I'd even pay 20.00 for it just because it raises the chances of you getting the phone back from 20% to about 50-70%.

Ok, proceed to destroy me and tell me why this won't work and yada yada yada!
    Last edited by dlappjr; 03-05-09 at 11:41 PM.
    03-05-09 10:52 PM
    If ur phone is stolen or lost it will be given a bad esn by vzw and it can't be used for anything but parts. If someone steals ur phone report it stolen. There not going to give it back to you just because it doesn't work. If nothing else they will sell it or trash it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-09 11:11 PM
    If ur phone is stolen or lost it will be given a bad esn by vzw and it can't be used for anything but parts. If someone steals ur phone report it stolen. There not going to give it back to you just because it doesn't work. If nothing else they will sell it or trash it.

right, but I would like the internal GPS to send its location to the website in which case you can locate it. Doesn't really have to be stolen, say you lost it and your freaking out, you go online and check it and see that its actually on your desk at work, at your moms, etc.
    03-05-09 11:21 PM
    theres no way man cause if i knew it was stolen and i could see its at some guys house i will go there and **** that guy up and we cant have people doing that
    03-05-09 11:25 PM
    im with shotcaller i could see a lot of ppl going to jail over this one not just the thief in my case
    03-06-09 12:13 AM
    easy hot heads, i enjoy the idea. get it rolling, not digging that $20 dollar idea but great app. iphone is still owning bb's. unfortunate
    03-06-09 12:23 AM
    iphone is still owning bb's
    yeah, because you know, business users (who the BB was initially designed for) really need or desire fart apps and the like. I'm not saying that all iApps are crap, but the BB wasn't designed for gimmicks and gadgets...
    03-06-09 01:06 AM
    Plus if the person who stole it is smart enough they can just turn off the GPS feature on the phone.
    03-06-09 01:47 AM
    yeah, because you know, business users (who the BB was initially designed for) really need or desire fart apps and the like. I'm not saying that all iApps are crap, but the BB wasn't designed for gimmicks and gadgets...
    I 2nd that.

Also i think the idea is perfect. But how far woudl this app go. Unsecure guys following there ladies lol? Should call the app JailBait because lets be fair if your certain someone got your phone, people would go around to retrieve it.

Maybe would be good to do a remote wipe of the phone on this app too. I.e If your certain someone has it. You can wipe the phone OTA. Would be cool.

Does the BB allow 3rd party apps to run in the background. Sorry im new to the BB scene ?

~Joe.

Oh and to keep on track, id buy this software.
    03-06-09 02:34 AM
    An app called "moostrax" sends GPS signals from your phone blah blah go check it out.
    Last edited by XxUn70ucHaBlExX; 03-06-09 at 02:46 AM. Reason: sounded like an a$$
    03-06-09 02:44 AM
    one problem.

ANY thief who has passed 6th grade will

TURN OFF THE PHONE lol
    03-06-09 06:21 AM
    doesn't latitude essentially do this (allow tracking the gps location of your device) already? ... Provided you don't sign in from your home computer obviously.

I'm actually debating setting this up, more for the idea of it being lost then stolen, in which case the guy could turn it off as mentioned or disable the gps. Interesting idea.
    03-06-09 08:21 AM
    I think its a good idea. However we do have the option to password protect our phone and if you incorrectly input the password too many times it will wipe the device therefore al my data would be safe. I'd probably not get it but I'm sure some people could find this useful. Plus that's what insurance is for

03-06-09 08:30 AM
    I would be interested in the beta. Is there a working link?
    03-06-09 08:37 AM
    I would probably be interested in this too.
    So there is actually this program in existence for iphones??
    03-06-09 10:23 AM
    yeah iPhone has it available, so how bout one for us?
    03-06-09 12:03 PM
    There have been several programs like this for BlackBerrys available for quite a while. Roblock is one that comes to mind. Do a search...
    03-06-09 12:09 PM
    There have been several programs like this for BlackBerrys available for quite a while. Roblock is one that comes to mind. Do a search...
    Thanks for that little bit of info. I checked it out and it doesn't seem to work right on the storm. HOW ABOUT SOMEONE MAKE IT FOR TH STORM?
    03-06-09 04:19 PM
    there is a similar app out there saw it last night..

u eamil your phone a predefined trigger word and its turns on certain functions like

enable GPS
    wipe data
    vibrate
    ring

etc, just search for it...
    03-06-09 05:54 PM
    Check out Roblock (google for it). You can lock the phone - sound an alarm - display a message - Remote wipe from email or web. It is suppose to send GPS as well, but this does not work on Storm.

I think it costs like $9

03-06-09 08:49 PM
    I would hate for someone to hack the Self-destruct site and send all of the go codes to all the current subscribers...
    03-08-09 10:46 PM
    berryfind is available in the crackberry app store and purports to do this very thing. If you send your phone linked email address an email with the subject "findme" it starts the phone blinking and flashing and is supposed to email you a picture of its GPS location on a map.

Unfortunately they dont have it working with Verizon... even more unfortunately I didn't realize that until after I purchased it.
    03-09-09 12:13 AM
    yah, if someone even trys to steal my bold.....its lights out for them
    03-09-09 12:44 AM
    ok wait... that program lets you view the camera on your cell phone?!?! am i reading that right??? isnt that invasion of privacy issues?? (in the instance people abuse this program, not used when stolen)
    03-09-09 01:02 AM
    1 question if you lost ur phone how can u track it if you lost it.... hmmm good question
    03-09-09 07:48 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD