March 7, 2009 Version 1.0 is now released
    ----------------------------------------------

LocationProfiler automatically change system profile as you move around different locations.

You can set up profile for Home, Office, Church, School, Library etc... and when you leave the location you can set a different profile.

A good example is to have Home and Office profiles. When you leave your Home you can have the Home profile set to Loud. When you arrived at Work you can set the Work profile to Vibrate and when you leave work you can set it back to Loud. Finally when you get home you can set the Home profile to Quiet. This is all done with two profiles.

Supports both GSM and CDMA networks.
    Requires OS 4.2 and higher

Website Toysoft Development Inc., call notes, Ring tones, profile, profiles, koolsounds, blackberry, Treo, picture id, AES

the demo only allows two profiles to be created.

here is what you do

1 run LocationProfiler
    2 select menu key
    3 select Manage Locations
    4 select menu key
    5 select Get Location and save it. There maybe more than one cell id for your location. if you move around or wait and then get location again it might change. You can also select Gather to automatically gather cell ids for you
    6 after you have saved some cellids goto the main screen and create a new Profile

To test this you will have to leave your current location.

LocationProfiler will not work if your BB is in the Holster or keyboard locked.
    Last edited by Smiley88; 03-06-09 at 10:41 PM.
    03-05-09 08:47 PM
    Awesome!!! I have been waiting for an app like this!!!! Downloading now!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-09 09:47 PM
    That's pretty cool. I have started taking public transportation to work (a 45 minute long ride) and I'd like to sleep. I wonder if it's possible to have my Blackberry alarm go off at a certain location (e.g. near my destination) so I can wake up and then get off. That way I won't have to worry about sleeping through my stop.

Or set off the alarm if I'm near my ex-girlfriend's home.. gotta avoid that psycho.

*edit: I'd want the location+alarm to work while my blackberry is being holstered or keyboard-locked though.
    Last edited by quadcomm; 03-05-09 at 09:53 PM.
    03-05-09 09:50 PM
    That's pretty cool. I have started taking public transportation to work (a 45 minute long ride) and I'd like to sleep. I wonder if it's possible to have my Blackberry alarm go off at a certain location (e.g. near my destination) so I can wake up and then get off. That way I won't have to worry about sleeping through my stop.

Or set off the alarm if I'm near my ex-girlfriend's home.. gotta avoid that psycho.

*edit: I'd want the location+alarm to work while my blackberry is being holstered or keyboard-locked though.
    you can. when you are at the location save it and then create a new profile and set an sound file. the next time you are at this location you will hear the sound.

Location Profiler has a builtin keyboard lock but it is not password protected.

there is no way around the holster and keyboard.
    the demo is limited to 2 profiles only.
    03-05-09 10:30 PM
    LocationProfiler automatically change system profile as you move around different locations.

You can set up profile for Home, Office, Church, School, Library etc... and when you leave the location you can set a different profile.

A good example is to have Home and Office profiles. When you leave your Home you can have the Home profile set to Loud. When you arrived at Work you can set the Work profile to Vibrate and when you leave work you can set it back to Loud. Finally when you get home you can set the Home profile to Quiet. This is all done with two profiles.

Supports both GSM and CDMA networks.
    Requires OS 4.2 and higher

For demo OTA http://www.toysoft.ca/beta/LocationProfiler.jad

the demo only allows two profiles to be created.

here is what you do

1 run LocationProfiler
    2 select menu key
    3 select Manage Locations
    4 select menu key
    5 select Get Location and save it. There maybe more than one cell id for your location. if you move around or wait and then get location again it might change. You can also select Gather to automatically gather cell ids for you
    6 after you have saved some cellids goto the main screen and create a new Profile

To test this you will have to leave your current location.

LocationProfiler will not work if your BB is in the Holster or keyboard locked.
    Forgive me my ignorance but I don't get it at all. If I leave home I can have the home profile Loud. What for if I left home? When I arrive to the office set the Office profile to Vibrate. Can't I just do the same if I set my phone to Quiet mode by press & hold the number sign key? Like in the movies for instance? Then switch it back the same way? Could u explain it a little bit better what is the difference?

follow me on Twitter / krisztibi
    03-05-09 10:48 PM
    Forgive me my ignorance but I don't get it at all. If I leave home I can have the home profile Loud. What for if I left home? When I arrive to the office set the Office profile to Vibrate. Can't I just do the same if I set my phone to Quiet mode by press & hold the number sign key? Like in the movies for instance? Then switch it back the same way? Could u explain it a little bit better what is the difference?

Yes you can. I guess i didn't explain it well enough.
    here are my settings. I have 2 profiles

1 Home - When i am at home it is set to Vibrate and when I leave home i set it Loud. (out of my house range)

2 Office - When i am at the Office it is set to Quiet and when i leave the office it is set to Loud (out of the office range)

So in the morning when i head to the office the profile will change to Loud when i'm out of my Home range because my Leaving profile at home is assigned Loud. When i'm at the office the profile will change to Quiet. Now at end of the day when i leave the Office location the profile will switch to Loud because i'm no longer at the office. When i'm at home the profile will be Vibrate.

Home

Arrive - Vibrate
    Leave - Loud

Office

Arrive - Quiet
    Leave - Loud

does this make any sense?

you do not have to set the Leaving profile. Just that when i'm on the road to and from the office i like it Loud. You can just be it on Vibrate until you get to office.
    03-05-09 11:11 PM
    you can. when you are at the location save it and then create a new profile and set an sound file. the next time you are at this location you will hear the sound.

Location Profiler has a builtin keyboard lock but it is not password protected.

there is no way around the holster and keyboard.
    the demo is limited to 2 profiles only.
    Thanks for the info. I probably should have mentioned that I'm deaf; I'd prefer it if my phone vibrates constantly (until I wake up and turn it off) once I reach a destination. Just like setting off the Blackberry alarm with the Vibrate profile activated (I use this every morning), except that it's triggered by location. Would that be possible? Or is the "greeting sound" feature in your application audio-only? I understand if you can't add vibrate as this might be an unusual request.

03-05-09 11:30 PM
    Thanks for the info. I probably should have mentioned that I'm deaf; I'd prefer it if my phone vibrates constantly (until I wake up and turn it off) once I reach a destination. Just like setting off the Blackberry alarm with the Vibrate profile activated (I use this every morning), except that it's triggered by location. Would that be possible? Or is the "greeting sound" feature in your application audio-only? I understand if you can't add vibrate as this might be an unusual request.

in the Prefs you can turn of vibrate once when the profile is switched. it will not vibrate more than once. this is just to give you indication that a profile has been switched.

If you do use your holster or lock the device and when a profile is about to switch it will vibrate to alert you. If you stay at the same location then it will vibrate every minute until you turn on the device. If you are traveling then this wont work because cell id will change as you move.

LocationProfiler isn't designed for alerts. it is designed to change profiles but it adds vibrate and alert sound
    03-05-09 11:51 PM
    This looks like it has a lot of potential. I am constantly forgetting to turn on a loud profile when I get in my car. The leaving option will be good for me.

Just curious as to how profile changes are handled if the BB is manually put in standby mode via the mute button? Does this disable the profile change as if the BB were holstered?

Edit: after initial testing the app appears to recognize when I leave a particular cell, but it only opens the profile selection dialog and does not actually switch to the phone profile defined in the application. Seems to exhibit this behavior whether in standby or not. Is there a setting I'm missing? If this is the intended behavior it isn't clear from the original post. I'm on an 8110 running 4.5 FWIW.

Last edited by Mainiak Blaniak; 03-06-09 at 09:32 AM.
    03-06-09 05:35 AM
    This looks like it has a lot of potential. I am constantly forgetting to turn on a loud profile when I get in my car. The leaving option will be good for me.

Just curious as to how profile changes are handled if the BB is manually put in standby mode via the mute button? Does this disable the profile change as if the BB were holstered?

Edit: after initial testing the app appears to recognize when I leave a particular cell, but it only opens the profile selection dialog and does not actually switch to the phone profile defined in the application. Seems to exhibit this behavior whether in standby or not. Is there a setting I'm missing? If this is the intended behavior it isn't clear from the original post. I'm on an 8110 running 4.5 FWIW.

make sure you set all the permissions to ALLOW for LocProfiler in the Options app.

we have reports that there is a problem with the AutoStandby app.
    03-06-09 10:57 AM
    Thank you smiley. Checked permissions on the app and noted a few were denied. Individually the only one denied that appears to maybe be a problem is keystroke injection. I changed this to allow and will re-test when I leave work. If that doesn't do it I will change the remaining denied permissions to allow and try again. Will report back with results.

03-06-09 11:24 AM
    Definitely going to have to test this on my 8900!
    03-06-09 02:52 PM
    Good stuff. Glad something like this has finally shown up.
    03-06-09 02:53 PM
    I am assuming this will not work with verizon GPS?
    03-06-09 03:18 PM
    I am assuming this will not work with verizon GPS?
    this uses the cell towers and will work on all BB devices with 4.2 and higher.

we are looking into a gps version soon.
    03-06-09 03:51 PM
    Yes you can. I guess i didn't explain it well enough.
    here are my settings. I have 2 profiles

1 Home - When i am at home it is set to Vibrate and when I leave home i set it Loud. (out of my house range)

2 Office - When i am at the Office it is set to Quiet and when i leave the office it is set to Loud (out of the office range)

So in the morning when i head to the office the profile will change to Loud when i'm out of my Home range because my Leaving profile at home is assigned Loud. When i'm at the office the profile will change to Quiet. Now at end of the day when i leave the Office location the profile will switch to Loud because i'm no longer at the office. When i'm at home the profile will be Vibrate.

Home

Arrive - Vibrate
    Leave - Loud

Office

Arrive - Quiet
    Leave - Loud

does this make any sense?

you do not have to set the Leaving profile. Just that when i'm on the road to and from the office i like it Loud. You can just be it on Vibrate until you get to office.

I understand now. Basically once u set it it will change automatically so u don't have to keep changing it manually. Cool!

03-06-09 03:55 PM
    It seems that changing the keystroke injection permission to allow resolved my issue of the application not being able to actually change the phone's notification profile. All seems well on that front.

I was seeing some apparently random profile switches while at work, but I think this may be due to not having all the cell towers included in the work profile. I did a search and got 3, all of which are in the profile, but I'm guessing there may be more.

I'm not sure how much development of this app is still going on, but I have a feature request: a way to set time of day / days of week when the location profiler is active would be nice. For example, monday through friday when I leave the house it is to go to work, so I'd like the profiler to turn on my 'loud' profile, but on weekends I'm just as likely to go somewhere where I don't need/want the loud profile, so if I could set the app up to only be active on weekdays that would be nice.

Also a question; is there a way to completely close out of the app? There always seem to be 2 icons for it in my app chooser.

At any rate, so far this looks like a real winner of an application. Additional profiles will be nice...I assume this is coming in the release version? Any info on what the pricepoint will be?

Thanks,

MB
    03-06-09 04:21 PM
    This is awesome!!! No more forgeting and a lot less steps!!! This is perfect!! Just had one question: I just entered my locations for my work, created the profile and made all the changes and also checked the box that says to vibrate when profile changes. I then closed the app. About 10 secs later my phone vibrated AND the profile selection box came up and I had to select the profile I wanted to close that one. Was that box supposed to come up?
    03-06-09 04:22 PM
    Would grab this for sure except my berry is always either in holster or set to auto lock. Could this be a future option??
    03-06-09 04:26 PM
    does this need gps to access it all the time. I had earth comber and the constant gps drained my battery like water in a sink
    03-06-09 04:57 PM
    I download and am testing it right now... trial is only good for a week...

How much is this going to cost??? And can we extend the trial or are you going to be selling it in a week?
    03-06-09 05:25 PM
    Does this work on the Storm?
    03-06-09 07:49 PM
    Yes this will work on the storm. I just downloaded it and will test it tomorrow.

I do seem to have it running twice in the background. Will do a batt pull and see what happens.
    03-06-09 09:06 PM
    Yes this will work on the storm. I just downloaded it and will test it tomorrow.

I do seem to have it running twice in the background. Will do a batt pull and see what happens.
    I continue to have it running twice in the background and also it will not change the profile on its own, it only brings up the profiles and i have to manually select the profile myself....i have deleted and reinstalled twice and several battery pulls.. even went to their site and downloaded the storm specific version.

edit: also, the icon is no longer displaying it is simply the blue window outline. I am running .75 on my storm

is there a way to be notified of new versions?
    03-06-09 09:28 PM
    Have you tried editing the permission levels? I had to change all of them to allow. Only one was set to allow by default.
    03-06-09 09:31 PM
177 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD