I know this sounds lame, but I'm worried about putting the 8900 in my pocket! My 8320 immediately filled with dust behind the screen the first couple times I did this, and I didn't know at the time I could get a replacement.

I have a T-Mobile silicone skin and the original static cling screen thing on...Has anyone experienced dust or lint behind their 8900 screen at this point?

I don't want to wear a holster...not my style.
    03-05-09 09:25 AM
    Honestly i would never put any of my berrys in my pocket. Once its in your pocket dust and lint will fill up your trackball housing over time. Plus the fact that you can get dust stuck underneath the screen housing also. I would recommend if your going to put it in your pocket to at least put it in a sleeve this way its protected. I always have mine in a holster of some sort, maybe you should give it a try and see if you may get used to it. I mostly use a horizontal holster, it truly is probably the safest way to carry your device.
    03-05-09 09:33 AM
    just buy one of them protective plastic screen covers and dont really rely on the original thin plastic film, that one blows. 8900 can take the beating.. I have a silicon skin and the protective plastic cover and its still scratchless/lint free...its a toughie
    03-05-09 09:36 AM
    I would agree that with a silicone skin and a screen protector you should be ok, but the best option (that would truly maximize your 8900 lifespan) is to avoid putting it in your pocket, and restore to holster cases.
    03-05-09 09:42 AM
    Actually this phone should not get any dust under the screen because there is not lens over the screen... when you touch the screen you are touching the actual LCD!!!!!

Be careful, but it should be safe in your pocket ALONE!!!!! nothing else goes in my pocket with my phone.

You would be better off to get a LCD cover for it.
    03-05-09 09:45 AM
    And no tight jeans. There is a lovely thread on that around here somewhere. I pocket mine all day every day. Granted I also drop it every other day. So while iy has scuffs and dings, there's no lint behind the screen. I'm using an InvisiShield screen protector. I have had my trackball stick once or twice. But nothing a little spittle on the finger doesn't fix.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-09 10:17 AM
    my bb is in my back pocket everyday,i sit on it, and i have never had dust or lint issues, it just has a silicone case no screen protector
    03-05-09 10:19 AM
    Ordered the Clarivue screen protector just now because I know the original thing that shipped won't last and is just temporary. Also the silicone skin is okay, but it sure does pick up pet hair, etc. Maybe will do the Innocase at some point. I love my phone!
    03-05-09 10:26 AM
    No need to worry about dust in the screen. That issue is fixed. I keep it in my pocket all day with no ill effects.
    03-05-09 10:27 AM
    My 8900 goes in my front pocket. No dust gets under the screen and the screen doesn't get scratched up like the 8330

03-05-09 11:06 AM
    No pocket. Placed my 8900 in a clear Crystal Case
    and used the Seidio Innocase Holster. This week I ordered the Martin Fields Overlay Plus Screen Protector since
    Clarivue messed up my order. Clarivue shipped me the Anti-Glare
    version instead of the Ultra-Glare version which I wanted.
    03-05-09 11:50 AM
    I carry mine everywhere...when I'm not using it, it's sitting next to me on my desk or beside table.

I've only had the trackball freeze up 1-2, but it was resolved quickly.

you should be fine with a Silicon skin and a screen protector.
    03-05-09 12:10 PM
    Try licking the screen before you put it in your pocket. That way all the lint will stick to the outside of the screen.
    03-05-09 12:19 PM
    Believe or not. I actually have ONE piece of dust sitting in my screen. And damn, is it annoying! I have no Idean how it happened. I keep my phone in the case it came with. I also find it quite annoying to see dust seep into the cracks above and below the screen. I'm constantly blowing it out and sticking a piece of paper in to clean it out. Do you guys have this problem?

05-11-09 02:42 PM
    Yup ... it sure is annoying, that dust somehow finds its way in the cracks above and below the screen. I put a screen protector over the entire screen, including the cracks, and yet I still get a boatload of dust in it!
    05-11-09 03:04 PM
    I carry mine in my pocket everyday and I have no dust.
    05-11-09 03:15 PM
    I carry mine in my pocket everyday... jeans, and dockers... and carry in a silcone skin... not a problem with dust or lint.
    05-11-09 03:19 PM
    I have a leather flip case plus screen protector. The leather flip part covers the keyboard and screen completely when not in use and I haven't any issues with dust.

05-11-09 03:33 PM
    I've got a Speck holster but I still have smudges and dust...I think dust is unavoidable issue with all phones. Unless you live in a vacuum.
    05-11-09 04:24 PM
    I keep mine in my pocket, but it is mostly on my desk. Having a cell phone holstered to your belt screams NERD. Fashion snafu.
    05-11-09 04:43 PM
    I've pocketed BBs for years. Slip it in a leather pouch<pocket. No lint, no dust, no problem. Use a screen protector and you're good to go.
    05-11-09 04:53 PM
    The worst part is picking up lint in your trackball. Before I started using a holster, I removed a wad of lint from the TB rollers the size of a pencil eraser.
    05-11-09 05:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD