hey guys i had a question regarding the curve 8900 since it has wifi if i purchased an unlocked one could i use it on my wifi just for fun i really love the phone and would love to jsut have one to mess with on wifi. is this possible without a plan? i am just interested in minor things and having fun with the fone in my house. could this be possible? thnx
    03-05-09 04:15 AM
    Should be possible. Just make sure you set up your WiFi connection properly and set your browser to "Hot Spot Browser" by opening the browser then menu button-options-browser configuration- then select Hot Spot Browser. Have fun!
    03-05-09 04:47 AM
    nice this is good news i really glad to here this would love to be able to play with this phone ima have to go pick one up
    03-05-09 05:21 AM
    Should be possible. Just make sure you set up your WiFi connection properly and set your browser to "Hot Spot Browser" by opening the browser then menu button-options-browser configuration- then select Hot Spot Browser. Have fun!
    i think without a data plan the browser icon won't be pushed to the device...you need to put a sim card with a data plan then get the browser icon pushed to your device and than you could start surfing on wi-fi....
    03-05-09 05:30 AM
    hmmis there a way i could download opera mini or third party browser? perhaps using DM and transferring it
    03-05-09 05:36 AM
    No, it doesn't even need to be unlocked, you don't even need a SIM card in there to get to the browser. By default the browser is there, and only when you insert a sim card without a data package that the browser gets taken away.
    03-05-09 08:56 AM
    Yes you can use WiFi on the phone without a data plan. You can even use it with no SIM card. The functionality will be similar to an iPod touch and its limited abilities.
    03-05-09 10:06 AM
    thank you thats what i was curious of this is very good news to me
    03-05-09 10:08 AM
    imeant yes, lol, hope you realized that from what i said
    03-05-09 11:00 AM
    yea i got that lol i thought it might not have to eb unlocked but ya never know
    03-05-09 11:37 AM
    It doesn't need to be unlocked.

I had a Rogers BB 8900 and before I even popped in my SIM, I hopped onto Wifi and surfed around, works fine. You obviously won't get push email, or any BIS services.

Browser works,
    Google Chat works

Facebook app doesn't
    Gmail app doesn't work
    03-05-09 11:40 AM
    I don't see how everybody's been able to surf the net on wifi...without any data plan. I have tried and tried but nothing. There is a hotspot close by and I tried it there..nothing.
    How are you guys doing it I wanna know....need help!
    TIA

cheezz
    03-05-09 01:23 PM
    03-05-09 02:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD