My 8820 has built-in Wifi. I want to find a way to share the WAP internet connection through the Wifi, basically turning it into a Wifi hotspot.

The idea is that I could provide a wifi internet connection to an iPod Touch or laptop. I don't want to buy any external adapters (i know they exist to share a wifi connection) because the Blackberry already has Wifi built-in.

So far I have not found anything about this idea. No one has asked the question, best I can tell.

I've looked through the settings on the device and have not found anything about creating an ad-hoc network or acting like a wifi router. My guess is that it has to be doable through software, there has to be a way this can be done.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    02-06-08 06:46 AM
    not without an adapter
    02-09-08 07:06 PM
    I know it can be done on Windows Mobile devices through a piece of software. I'm looking to see if someone has written such software for the Blackberry, or even if it's in the works.
    02-09-08 07:22 PM
    you dont have to do it that way. just use bluetooth and use your BB as a modem. i do it all the time. type "use blackberry as a modem" on google. use the instructions for your carrier. best of luck.
    02-12-08 11:09 PM
    The device(s) I want to connect to it don't have Bluetooth as an option.

The question I've posed is unfortunatly the only way to acheive what I want. I've already considered all the other ways to use the Blackberry as a gateway to the Internet.

Thanks for your responses, though.
    02-13-08 05:49 AM
    you can tether to a laptop without bluetooth as well, just use the usb cable. the ipod touch however, is highly unlikely. the only way that'll happen is if someone who hacks the touch (most likely apple fanboy) happens to like bb's as well.
    02-13-08 11:53 AM
    A small programme called Joiku spot solves this problem for nokia phones.

Is there anything similar for blackberry???

Thanks
    01-12-09 06:55 PM
    This place has several cellular routers that will work with a Blackberry to create a WiFi hotspot... wayyyy cool stuff:

Mobile Users | Cradlepoint Technology
    01-13-09 08:20 AM
    Those devices are well over $100 while joiku spot premium is only 15.

With prices like that and not wanting to carry around yet another gadget I'll wait for a software solution, even if I am left waiting!
    01-19-09 04:38 AM
    i bought one of those expensive devices because i need to have wifi for the trimle nomad, which my company uses to scan barcodes on cars, and i cant figure out how to get it to work. we are using 8130's and need to have wifi on the road so we can scan and send the data instantly. any suggestions or ideas or anything i can do?
    01-19-09 03:59 PM
    Those devices are well over $100 while joiku spot premium is only 15.

With prices like that and not wanting to carry around yet another gadget I'll wait for a software solution, even if I am left waiting!
    The JoikuSpot looks cool but it looks like it requires your Blackberry to be WiFi enabled in order for it to work, not always an option. the CradlePoint devices are agnostic in that respect. There's even one battery powered model that will give you a hot spot virtually anywhere.
    tsj likes this.
    01-20-09 11:38 AM
    i bought one of those expensive devices because i need to have wifi for the trimle nomad, which my company uses to scan barcodes on cars, and i cant figure out how to get it to work. we are using 8130's and need to have wifi on the road so we can scan and send the data instantly. any suggestions or ideas or anything i can do?
    This forum has a bunch of very knowledgeable people who should be able to help you sort out how to use your device:

EVDO Forums - EV-DO Discussion, Support, Coverage, Compatibility, Tips, Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, UM175, Kyocera KR2, WRT54G3GV2, WRT54G3G-ST, Cradlepoint CTR350, PHS300, MBR1000, CTR500 : EVDOforums.com
    01-20-09 11:42 AM
    someone should develop this software
    02-02-09 02:00 PM
    Hey You All check this out
    for windows
    ://supportblackberry.blogspot.com/2008/04/blackberry-sebagai-modem.html
    for mac
    ://supportblackberry.blogspot.com/2008/04/blackberry-sebagai-modem-2.html

Good Luck - Semoga Sukses
    Thanks - Terima Kasih
    02-18-09 11:42 PM
    This place has several cellular routers that will work with a Blackberry to create a WiFi hotspot... wayyyy cool stuff:

Mobile Users | Cradlepoint Technology
    Do you know of anything like that link that works for EDGE or Tmob? Would like to be be able to use my phone as a hotspot.
    02-24-09 05:50 PM
    Do you know of anything like that link that works for EDGE or Tmob? Would like to be be able to use my phone as a hotspot.
    I'd suggest you call the folks at CradlePoint... they appear to be more than willing to answer questions and help find a solution.
    02-25-09 12:11 PM
    What kills me is the innovation factor here. What board decides what features are to be worked on on a phone? I mean, who says "Lets spend our time adding features that no one will notice and wont increase our profit".
    Im an IT guy and it never ceases to amaze me that a billion dollar company cannot figure out what is useful to their clients. Hmmm if I give them a Wifi Enabled phone, and all these other phones have 802.11, and we have several companies making millions with third party software converting them into hot spots...lets NOT add this as a feature. Lets focus on the things no one will notice and be left in the dust like we left Palm in the dust.

Has anyone heard anything on the wire about BB getting their head out and starting dev on this?
    12-18-09 04:06 PM
    These are pretty good ideas.
    12-30-09 10:34 AM
    this wouldnt be a problem. I am quite certain with this next year we should see these features in some of the google phones. As much as I love my blackberry, their lack of innovation and desire to listen to the community is going to leave them in the wake of the iPhone and Android style phones that ARE community driven.
    Mark my words, the next killer phone will either be a netbook with an earpiece, or a phone that can easily be converted into a wifi hotspot. The community doesn't need more resolution or better games on our phones. What we need is ease of use. The treo was a very robust phone that was crushed by Blackberries and iPhones for this reason.
    What we need as consumers is better ways to get online, everyone has a laptop or netbook, we all are frustrated with public hotspots, this would cost barely anything in your R&D department, and you charge for the extra bandwidth if need be. iPhone can do this, Windows Mobile Phones do this, I am sure it is just a matter of time before the Android phones have an app. Why not build this in for blackberries, it is an insanely useful thing in businesses and mobile professionals...isnt that the BB market?
    12-31-09 11:46 AM
    has anything new come out for this purpose in the last year? With all the new tech and all the new phones this should be available by now, no?
    02-01-10 08:21 AM
    has anything new come out for this purpose in the last year? With all the new tech and all the new phones this should be available by now, no?
    Both the Palm Pre Plus from Verizon and the 4G HTC EVO from Sprint act as mobile Wifi hotspots, out of the box.

The EVO will be able to provide good upload/download speeds with 4G and Verizon is offering free data services to allow for Wifi on the Pre in an effort to bump its mediocre sales.

I'm thinking about getting the Wifi only iPad on Saturday, and it would be pretty sweet to have the 4G EVO as the hotspot and not get the 3G iPad.
    04-02-10 10:39 AM
    you can use PDANet to tether your bb to your laptop
    04-21-10 04:08 PM
    the person who said the iPhone can do it - yes, but not in the United States. It's not a technology issue, AT&T is the exclusive carrier for the iPhone here, and their terms of service disallow tethering on the iPhone.

So, besides the various ways of getting around the Terms of Service, you have only a few options - Palm Pre on Verizion, the 4G HTC EVo on Sprint, and the "data devices" on T-mobile (such as the Blackberry). I'm talking about tethering in any "economical" fashion - then as has been noted, this is only USB cable, or bluetooth tethering on the Blackberry, you need a cradlepoint (more hardware) to get the WiFi hotspot on blackberry, whereas you don't need that on the Pre.

I just got my first cell phone contract - yesterday....never had one in my life, and I'm a mac owner and an iPad owner...but guess what I chose? The blackberry.

I'm a bit late to the cell phone game, but what I did, is had traditional land line service, all these years...and in one quick move, I'm getting cell service, and cancelling the home phone.

So what I needed, was 2 phones ( a family plan) and I wanted to go ahead and have some kind of mobile hotspot, and I wanted both phones to have full data and GPS services (might as well jump in head first!). But my phone needs tethering, my wifes can do without.

I got all that for $90/mo. on t-mobile, the other vendors were not even close they were more like $140 per month. The reason it happened that way, is the Nokia Nuron happens to be a smart phone with full GPS navigation and a full webkit browser, where you can add the data plan for only $10 - for whatever reason t-mobile allows the web2go on this phone, normally they only allow that on feature phones. And my blackberry allows the tethering, and I bought the cradlepoint to go with it. Add in a corporate discount, and wa-la....cheapest by far, for my specific needs, at this moment in time (all this info will be outdated by tomorrow, ha!)

But anyway, so I see all the anti-blackberry comments here, but ironically, this natural iPhone purchaser just bought a blackberry instead, over the tethering issue..
    Last edited by rdupuy; 05-08-10 at 12:49 PM. Reason: preciseness
    05-08-10 12:43 PM
    Just wondering if you all are paying $60 a month for a "tethering plan" to use the PHS? That's the entire reason I'd get the PHS, is to avoid the $60/mo cost - otherwise I'd just buy an Overdrive or MiFi... anyone successful in connecting your BB to the PHS without having "tethering" on your plan?
    05-10-10 07:59 AM
    Storm II needs to be able to share it's connection. Why cant anyone make a $20 app for this?
    05-24-10 09:29 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD