Does anyone know anything about the new Push To Talk (PTT) Blackberry phone that is rumored to be released by Verizon in the next month or two? I am looking for a sneak peak and specs on the phone. Any definite release date known?
    03-02-09 10:53 PM
    I really hope not.

I hate going places and having to hear that push to talk crap.
    03-02-09 11:23 PM
    I really hope not.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. The only thing I hated about my nextel was pure lack of coverage.
    03-03-09 07:18 PM
    The current rumors on the next VZW BBs revolves around the 9030 Bold and 9630 Javelin. No release dates available. You can search on these forums and hear dates as early as May all the way to 4th quarter for the next BB.

Ive personally heard NOTHING on a PTT BB for VZW. I'd expect to hear something about the Pearl Flip 8230 before anything else.
    03-03-09 07:27 PM
    VZW PTT SUX!

Odd that I had seen good reviews for it before I purchased a couple of LG 4700. Which are sitting in a bag in the garage. No one wants them even on ebay.
    VZW PTT service is a direct connect service. You basically place a call to another PTT user and talk while pushing a button!?? Why not place a call with speaker phone? It's the same thing! The BB speaker phone is very good.
    VZW PTT was choppy, it didn't keep a connection very well. Not to mention no one else you know will have PTT, unless you're getting it for work. However everyone you know will most likely have the speakerphone feature.
    03-05-09 08:42 AM
    We have a Vzw corporate rep, and he checked w/ his manager who usually hears about the new devices ahead of time (esp when compared to the tech support and customer service folks who never hear about the new devices until they're rolled out...)

he claimed, and this was a few months ago, that the next BB on Vzw would be a Push To Talk.

so i wonder if that will be part of the Niagara?

I just wish Vzw would hurry up and have a world BB w/ Wi-Fi, non-crippled GPS, faster processor and more memory than the 8830.... in other words a Bold...
    03-05-09 10:17 PM
    I know this is an old thread, but I have new info on it.

According to our Verizon Rep, Feb 2010 is the new PTT deadline, and its set in stone, or so they say. Initially, all 9630's (Tour) will be pushed a free firmware upgrade automatically, and will be converted to push to talk. He told me this is only phone for now that will have it. Later they will expand it with new phones and such. It's suppose to use the lone button on the right side (the one below the volume control).
    Last edited by rexmasters; 02-01-10 at 12:01 PM.
    02-01-10 11:59 AM
    I don't want it and I don't need it. If this is true, it needs to be optional.

Sure Verizon, first make us be the last device to get OS 5.0 and then make us the guinea pigs for other devices. I cry fowl.
    02-01-10 01:52 PM
    I wonder if this might be the mysterious 9530T that shows up on MobiHand's website drop down list. They also have the 8930 listed, but I think that is the Atlas.
    02-01-10 03:14 PM
    When I had my BB Curve 8310 on AT&T it had PTT which was activated by pressing the left button. It was a $5 option and there was a service book for it. It worked great and I liked it. I called VZW up about a month ago and the cs rep on the phone said she never heard of that but thought it was a great idea and would send it up the ladder. I hope VZW adds this to the Tour 2 as an option, I'm sure all that's needed is a service book to make it happen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-10 05:38 AM
    I really hope not.

Same here.
    I actually used to own a push to talk phone.
    I grew up & bought a real phone. haha <3
    02-02-10 09:32 AM
    Don't waste your money.

I had PTT through VZ a few years ago and it's NOTHING like Nextel. It was actually a joke how terrible the PTT was.

I couldn't WAIT to get rid of that phone and the PTT service!
    02-02-10 02:00 PM
    you will see a ptt blackberry by q2 the latest on the big red network
    02-03-10 11:40 AM
    Does anyone know anything about the new Push To Talk (PTT) Blackberry phone that is rumored to be released by Verizon in the next month or two? I am looking for a sneak peak and specs on the phone. Any definite release date known?
    From what I've heard the 9650 Tour 2 is going to feature PTT on it...just some rumors I've seen float around on here
    02-03-10 12:41 PM
    yes, i heard the same thing from my rep

cant wait..........
    02-03-10 07:39 PM
    I just got off the phone with my VZW accounts manager and it is fact - The Tour will have PTT. They were given a demostration and it worked very good. IMO I feel the 3G will be okay to handle this feature, but what makes me excited is that when the LTE is rolled out, I feel it will really be great. NOw that is something to be excited about it.
    02-04-10 08:49 AM
    not excited about ptt......
    was excited about the tour 2 until this rumor started.
    how can they get the tech in the device and still keep the same form factor?
    02-04-10 10:18 PM
    how can they get the tech in the device and still keep the same form factor?
    PTT on a BB is enabled by pushing out a service book, just like all the other features. You don't have to have it, deleting the service book removes the icon from your homescreen.

Also, the new VZW PTT on 3G is not like what they had out years ago. VZW pulled that after it failed miserably. The new one is instant and had the reliability of the VZW network. It's good, works well. I would love to see this on the Tour2.
    02-04-10 10:58 PM
    Yea my dad has a push to talk phone and I like to get his phone and make fart sounds with my mouth to his friends lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-10 04:42 PM
    Hmmmm, PTT eh? I keep hearing this rumor, but only here on Crackberry. I give no credence to anything most Verizon Rep's say, they are often wrong and most know nothing about mobile tech.

If this mythical PTT does come to fruition, would there be an additional fee?
    02-05-10 05:24 PM
    When I had my at&t BB Curve with PTT they charged $5 extra a month. VZW charges $5 a month for PTT on their PTT phones, so I would think they would charge $5 for it on a BB.
    02-06-10 02:34 AM
    When I had my at&t BB Curve with PTT they charged $5 extra a month. VZW charges $5 a month for PTT on their PTT phones, so I would think they would charge $5 for it on a BB.
    Ok, thats not so bad, certainly doable Although, I don't see the benefits of PTT, why not just make a call? I assume PTT uses data? No, maybe not. I really don't have a clue about the feature, that's for sure.
    02-06-10 07:32 PM
    PTT runs on the EVDO rev 0 or rev A network, not the 1X like voice calls, but I don't think it uses data. If you have a PTT phone you pay $5 for PTT but you don't get data with that and I read that PTT phones are exempt from the $10 a month data requirement that the new 3G phones have. It shouldn't eat into our 5GB of "unlimited" data we get now.

The advantage to PTT over regular voice calls is really in the work place, as I see it, where u need to get multiple short messages to people quickly. For a long conversation you're better off calling.
    02-06-10 10:00 PM
    From what I've heard the 9650 Tour 2 is going to feature PTT on it...just some rumors I've seen float around on here
    If this rumor is true my wait for the 9650 is over. Don't need it, don't want it and will not fuss with deleting service book for it each time I have to reboot.

Might even consider switching carriers to stay away from it.
    02-06-10 10:14 PM
    If this rumor is true my wait for the 9650 is over. Don't need it, don't want it and will not fuss with deleting service book for it each time I have to reboot.

Might even consider switching carriers to stay away from it.
    good luck with that, Verizon isn't the only one notorious for pushing out unwanted icons..ATT pushed out a dozen or so last year

AT&T pushes lame apps to BlackBerry users | Gear Diary

may I suggest you get familiar with the hide icon function. Works on reboots as well.
    02-07-10 01:35 AM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD