FIRST Let me start of by saying if the word Iphone is going to be used in your post. DONT POST. You can use terms like "Other Manufacturer" or "Competitors" if you have useless posts. BUT if you NEED to use the word, use it to explain why that part of the OS alows them to thread there text and how it would benefit us. If not, I dont see how it would be usefull.

Now that that is over with. I started this thread but it didnt stick..

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/ca...r-3jam-169726/

There are a few different threaded sms apps for BB's out there (I think). But all may not be storm compatable. I am new to BB's so I would like to use this thread for all the facts about threaded sms and BB's.

Here are the issues that I have found most of the 3rd party apps have with the blackberry.

The ONLY major issue with these apps are when you get a new sms. You get a new message icon in the origional bb sms app. Although you are trying to use your 3rd party app as your "Primary" sms app, you still have to go back and clear all your new messages out of your origional bb sms app. OR you (I) are stuck with hundreds of "new" messages in the new message counter at the top of the screen.

I know we could dissable the.

-New message alert Icon.
    -New message counter.

BUT you lose all your new message alerts SYSTEM WIDE!

What are we going to do about this??? I know there are many others out there that cant stand the BB sms either.. I would like to not use the BB sms app at all and only use a 3rd party app.

Is there ANY ONE out there that knows how we can either

-Tweak the BB to make the origional sms not alert new messages?
    -Make an app that blocks sms to the origional sms?
    -Remove the sms/ mms app BUT still alow mms to show up in the "messages" folder?

Threaded SMS apps

3JAM

3jam Reply-All Text Messaging (BlackBerry) - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

Here is what I have found out while on trial period.

-It has a week trial period. After that its $20
    -It works and looks pretty good ( still needs work but leaps and bounds better than the BB sms)
    -It will back up and restore with DM.
    -You can send multiple sms with ease.
    -It has an alert option that when switched on and you get a new sms. You get a pop up window showing you the message and giving you an option to view or cancel. ( I love this feature!)
    -Gives option to call sender
    -Gives option to export single conversation ( all messages from single person)
    -Gives option to export ALL conversations ( all messages in 3jam)

Swoosh SMS

SwooshSMS - Communication & Internet BlackBerry Software - Crackberry Store

Here is a review I pulled from the link.

"Nice try but not quite there.Using a Storm and a threaded sms app would be quite nice. Unfortunately this app doesnt clear the stock sms notification and the app cannot send a sms directly. It passes on the text to the default sms app."

-It seems that it has more issues than 3jam.
    -Storm compatable

BBText2IM

BBText2IM Public Beta- Threaded SMS For BlackBerry | BerryReview.com �

Here is a review I pulled from the link.

Great app! Works perfect! Only issue I find with it is it still keeps your new notification icon on the screen and keeps them unread in your SMS area, you have to manually read/delete them from there. But it is still a great start.

Coming from the Treo world, I am definitely looking forward to the continued development of this app. On the Treo, threaded SMS messaging is one of the best features and the gold standard for this type of app, there is no other on any other platform that allows you to do this as far as I know. The biggest convenience of it is that you can copy/paste entire conversations by recipient– no need to open/copy/paste/repeat like on other platforms, including the Blackberry.

For the technoweenie, it conveniently stores the conversation as a single backup file for each recipient so you can restore, archive, decompile just certain threads of SMS conversation, rather than the entire SMS database.

-Same issues as 3jam
    -Dont know if its storm compatable.

For the Developers

I read this somewhere

You use Activity Log for the mentioned purpose. Go to Address Book -> highlight a name and click Menu and select Activity Log. This will bring all the activity with that particular contact including SMS, MMS, Call Log, Messages etc.). In case SMS you can view all the previously received SMS history.

For time being this is what available.

-This tells me that the phone has the ability to individually catagorize every message from each contact. If there were a 3rd party "piggy back" style app/hack, could this possibly help?
    Last edited by AUTO X; 03-01-09 at 05:23 PM.
    03-01-09 02:36 PM
    Please, If you have experience with ANY BB threaded sms app. Post your results here..

CALLING all developers......
    03-01-09 02:37 PM
    IPhone..............................

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-09 03:20 PM
    Sorry, but its absurd not to compare with the iPhone. It is excellent with SMS threading.
    03-01-09 03:27 PM
    Wow. Like the popup text idea
    03-01-09 03:39 PM
    Sorry, but its absurd not to compare with the iPhone. It is excellent with SMS threading.
    The OP never said not to compare it to the "Other Manufacturer". They said not to use the actual name of the "Other Manufacturer" and within the thread refer to them as either "Other Manufacturer" or "Competitors".
    03-01-09 03:43 PM
    The OP never said not to compare it to the "Other Manufacturer". They said not to use the actual name of the "Other Manufacturer" and within the thread refer to them as either "Other Manufacturer" or "Competitors".
    Yeah but how does that help developers?
    03-01-09 04:05 PM
    Sorry I am confused what is sms threading? Because I can already send sms longer then 160char or have I completely misunderstood?

03-01-09 04:38 PM
    Look, I just dont want this to turn into a BB bashing Iphone praising thread...

I mean comeon. Apple made a great messaging app. Palm also made a great app for there "palm version" phone. Palm also made a windows version phone. Pretty much any windows version phone has the ability. Within this windows version phone is where the tweaking I am familiar with lies. I know there are ways to change things and am up for any idea. I dont know the capabilities and or security RIM puts on there phones. How far can we tweak them?

I read this a while back and thats what prompted me to start this thread.

There has to be a way for some of these java programers to go into the script of the phone and rewrite it so that all txt messages go through BB messanger and MMS messages goes through normaly. i know we did something like that with windows mobile where we were able to do palm messaging
    I dont care what way we have to do it ( thats why im posting this) I dont care if its.

-Adding a 3rd party software.
    -Tweaking the origional app
    -Tweaking BBm

We just need this to work and work well. If we can pull it off, people will talk about our program/tweak/workaround and not the competitors.

And still all can be said with out saying the word.....Iphone
    03-01-09 04:42 PM
    I'm just saying if people want it to be like the iPhone's, that's more useful to a developer than saying "I want it to be threaded like a competitor's." Well, which? If you want it to be like Palm, saying that helps developers know what to shoot for. If you want it to be like the iPhone setup, that can also help. I understand not making it about a bashing "like the iPhone" thread, but at the same time a developer needs to know what people want.
    03-01-09 05:48 PM
    Hey I recently upgraded to 4.5 and now my 3jam sms is sending messages slow! Anybody have a solution?
    03-18-09 01:13 AM
    I'm all for this, but I would like for it to appear like it was part of the OS.

03-18-09 01:20 AM
    I think the real solution is to convert the entire world to using BlackBerry's, then we can all just use BBMesenger!! So we need to convince all the people using "Other Manufacturer"'s (i)Phone and smash the "competitors" into submission.

Other than that, it seems that this guy is really into texting, I rarely use sms anymore, i just use email and BBM. Not sure if i'm a rarity or not.
    03-18-09 05:31 AM
    I don't see it as an iPhone thing. I had threaded SMS messaging on my Palm 700p before the iPhone came out so, it's not like Apple invented or even perfected the idea.

RIM just hasn't implemented it, for some reason.

I love my Storm. Thought it was hilarious when I read the "15 things the iPhone needs when iPhone 3.0 OS"...and ALL 15, without exception, are already a part of the Storm OS feature-set.

But, there are things that it could do better.

Threaded SMS is one of them. As is a way to make folders/sub-folders in the e-mail program. The fact that BIS just dumps everything into one big-@$$ pile and I have to just sort through it all is absolutely asinine.
    03-18-09 09:17 AM
    I think the real solution is to convert the entire world to using BlackBerry's, then we can all just use BBMesenger!! So we need to convince all the people using "Other Manufacturer"'s (i)Phone and smash the "competitors" into submission.

Other than that, it seems that this guy is really into texting, I rarely use sms anymore, i just use email and BBM. Not sure if i'm a rarity or not.
    I am with you. I have a small handful of people that I use sms with most everyone I talk to anymore uses BB messenger.

03-18-09 10:05 AM
    I don't see it as an iPhone thing. I had threaded SMS messaging on my Palm 700p before the iPhone came out so, it's not like Apple invented or even perfected the idea.

RIM just hasn't implemented it, for some reason.

I love my Storm. Thought it was hilarious when I read the "15 things the iPhone needs when iPhone 3.0 OS"...and ALL 15, without exception, are already a part of the Storm OS feature-set.

But, there are things that it could do better.

Threaded SMS is one of them. As is a way to make folders/sub-folders in the e-mail program. The fact that BIS just dumps everything into one big-@$$ pile and I have to just sort through it all is absolutely asinine.
    You have the option to separate everything.

03-18-09 10:07 AM
    Make it like the iphone's sms system.

03-18-09 10:13 AM
    Has anybody bought the 3jam app for $20? because im confused on how to actually register the app
    03-18-09 11:31 AM
    Make it like the iphone's sms system.
    You like the Bubble texts? It looks "pretty", but seems like there's a lot of wasted space, IMHO.
    03-18-09 01:30 PM
    Sorry to be the ignorant poster here but what is threaded text messaging? I guess what I thought it was the storm already has. Can someone please explain this.
    03-18-09 01:37 PM
    I'd like something like Chomp SMS (for android only)... I overall just want things to be more visually appealing on the whole platform... everything is still designed for a trackball and keyboard blackberry nothing was built or designed for a visually friendly, touch only machine
    03-18-09 01:43 PM
    Sorry to be the ignorant poster here but what is threaded text messaging? I guess what I thought it was the storm already has. Can someone please explain this.
    i'd also like to know this.

if you go to the sms text settings in the option menu and change the number of previous items to a larger number it will show all the previous sms messages sent/received from a person whenever you get a new message.

isn't that threaded sms?
    03-18-09 02:08 PM
    +1 for BBm

I am with the previous questions about what the OP means, because I also have the "previous sms messages" set pretty high so that I can see messages before. I would be for SMS being as easy and nice as BBm (and "other manufacturers") though .. if that is what was meant.
    03-18-09 02:17 PM
    I think people would have been more likely to adhere to your rule if you had asked if people would refer to the iPhone instead as a Dong. As in "I see SMS's look great on my mate's Dong"

03-18-09 02:33 PM
    Theoretically if something like the iphone version of SMS could be imported to the storm to replace the original SMS/MMS format, well that application would be worth anymore from $20-50 for me..

Those of you who will say get an iPhone, I have been there and experienced that already.
    03-18-09 02:50 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD