Blue as in their color, not their nature. The camera for some reason takes photos with far too much blue, and not enough red. That's why they all have that cold, icy look to them. If you put a photo taken with a Bold -- anyone's Bold -- into an image editor and turn down the blue and turn up the red in the RGB settings, they really are decent photos for a camera phone. So how difficult could it have been for RIM to get the colors on the camera done correctly? And can it be fixed with an OS update or is this a hardware failure? And if the latter, is there any kind of simple image editor app for the Bold that will let you tweak the RGB in a photo? The only image editor for the Bold I've found is some silly one that allows you to put in caption balloons and silly hats. (Yes, hats. Don't know how I've managed to live without that one.)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-09 08:59 PM
    There is a White Balance setting in OPTIONS:
    Auto
    Sunny
    Cloudy
    Night
    Incandescent
    Flourescent

All cameras have quirks when it comes to WB. Experiment with whether changing the setting from AUTO to one of the other choices helps.
    02-28-09 10:06 PM
    There is a White Balance setting in OPTIONS:
    Auto
    Sunny
    Cloudy
    Night
    Incandescent
    Flourescent

All cameras have quirks when it comes to WB. Experiment with whether changing the setting from AUTO to one of the other choices helps.
    Yes, but the quirk in this camera is that the Auto white balance is anything but. I've never seen a camera phone whose Auto white balance algorithm is quite so shabby. A simple outdoors shot in the sunlight should be easy enough for it to do correctly without expecting the user to think, 'Gee, I should use the "Sunny" preset.' Not that it's a marked improvement if one remembers to do so.
    02-28-09 10:44 PM
    The White Balance in the Bold is pretty messed up. If only it could shoot in RAW format... then WB wouldn't be much of an issue.
    02-28-09 10:49 PM
    A lot of smartphones tend to have a certain color tone to their photos (that or a general lack of color saturation). The Bold doesn't really seem that bad in this regard compared to some of the other phones I've had.
    02-28-09 10:52 PM
    Yeah papped, you're right.

All things considered it is a camera in a phone, an after-thought really so one shouldn't expect to get Annie Leibovitz caliber shots with it anyway. Having said that I would be curious to see what she could capture with just the Bold camera... hmm...
    02-28-09 11:05 PM
    A lot of smartphones tend to have a certain color tone to their photos (that or a general lack of color saturation). The Bold doesn't really seem that bad in this regard compared to some of the other phones I've had.
    I don't think it unreasonable to expect a camera phone (particularly one on an expensive phone as the Bold) to be able to take a reasonably accurate color photo in full daylight. I don't know what other camera phones you've had, papped, but they must have been truly sucky for you to make a statement like that. We've only had an old LG and a series of RAZR type Motos and they all blow the Bold away on this narrow but significant ground of color balance.

03-01-09 12:01 AM
    The "sucky" phones that tons of people have take better pictures than most smartphones, particulary anything up close.
    Camera picture quality ("grainy" and "gold'ish" color) - Page 2 - PPCGeeks
    Last edited by papped; 03-01-09 at 12:17 AM.
    03-01-09 12:06 AM
    I have to disagree. If they can make HD button cams, then they should have made their flagship with a better camera. It is completely realistic to put a 5mp cam on a phone.

That being said, I already have a good camera.
    03-01-09 07:46 AM
    The camera on Bold is not fit for purpose. I've seen better optical quality at the bottom of a beer bottle, and that's before the software overcompresses and generally mangles the image.

It's not field fixable so the only choice is to recall all the phones and replace the PCB. That ain't going to happen, not now, not next month, not next year, not even if the supreme court of the USA demands it. RIM would probably prefer to withdraw the phone from market and replace with a non-camera version.
    03-01-09 08:57 AM
    I have a digital camera to take pictures. The rare time I use my phone I'm able to live with the image I'm given. Regardless, RIM should have released a better camera with a phone that was once $650. With that amount of money I could have bought four 5MP cameras. These days the standard digital cam has at least a 4MP cam.

03-01-09 10:41 AM
    Well, we are stuck with it. It can take decent photos outdoors, which brings me back to my original question, whether anyone knows if there exists an app that does minor tweaking to photos on the Bold (in this case RGB)? Adjusting the white balance settings makes little if any difference in the blue cast of the photos.

03-01-09 04:47 PM
    I have a digital camera to take pictures. The rare time I use my phone I'm able to live with the image I'm given. Regardless, RIM should have released a better camera with a phone that was once $650. With that amount of money I could have bought four 5MP cameras. These days the standard digital cam has at least a 4MP cam.

The issue isn't just megapixel related. You can slap a 8mp camera on a crappy lens and it just won't fix the problem. It's like putting a bandaid one wound when you have 3. I've seen pictures taken with 5mp nokia's that have just as many problems.
    03-01-09 07:06 PM
    Blue as in their color, not their nature. The camera for some reason takes photos with far too much blue, and not enough red. That's why they all have that cold, icy look to them. If you put a photo taken with a Bold -- anyone's Bold -- into an image editor and turn down the blue and turn up the red in the RGB settings, they really are decent photos for a camera phone. So how difficult could it have been for RIM to get the colors on the camera done correctly? And can it be fixed with an OS update or is this a hardware failure? And if the latter, is there any kind of simple image editor app for the Bold that will let you tweak the RGB in a photo? The only image editor for the Bold I've found is some silly one that allows you to put in caption balloons and silly hats. (Yes, hats. Don't know how I've managed to live without that one.)

Actually, red is not the problem. In light, yellow is the opposite of blue. Magenta/Green, Cyan/Red.
    08-27-15 10:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD