I have developed a new application and I am looking for some beta feedback.

The application is hosted here and will work for free until March 15th -> Now March 30th.

OTA Link

You Are Here is an application which will automatically add an email signature to your outgoing emails showing your current location. Location is updated automatically via the GPS built into your phone.

Simple yet effective way to share where you are with friends and family.

Features Include:
    - Select which email accounts to add a signature to (ie. not to work, but for personal emails).
    - Select refresh rate on how often to get your location.
    - Edit the signature which is added to your custom text. Can include latitude, longitude, altitude and time.
    - Add a link to Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, MapQuest or Live Search Maps.

NOTE: This doesn't add an application icon, it adds an option to "Options" screen only.

Please try it out and leave feedback. Does it work for you or not. Please post your blackberry model (and firmware if you have problems).

Also, please either post (or message me with) the Event log if you see any odd errors or it doesn't work. To get to the Event log on your devic

Updated to 0.9.2 (March 5th)
    - Added Event logging of Errors (see below)
    - Added signature of "Location Unknown" if GPS coordinates are not available.
    - Added ability to "Refresh GPS Location" from menu on settings page. (you will need to exit the options screen and re-enter to see any updates).
    - Added ability to scroll to the bottom to see
    - Extended beta running period to March 30th

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

David
    Last edited by juched; 03-05-09 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Updated Beta
    02-28-09 08:12 AM
    That's a really cool idea. But I don't think I'd ever really use it. I don't email enough.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-09 09:32 AM
    That's a really cool idea. But I don't think I'd ever really use it. I don't email enough.

Glad to hear the idea is cool to some people. I haven't seen any feedback yet so I am assuming no one has tried it.

Thanks.
    03-01-09 11:10 PM
    It is kind of a cool idea. Useless for me since I'm on verizon (grr) but still neat.

03-01-09 11:23 PM
    I might try it out just because. Lol. I'll let you know how it works. I was reading recently that google just did something similar to this with their gmail and latitude service.
    03-02-09 12:15 AM
    Could you give an example of when a user would like this feature? Not trying to down your app, but just curious in what situation (business/personal) a user would find this helpful? I'm interested in it myself.
    03-02-09 04:54 PM
    If you sent an email before you left to go somewhere. The person who received it would know where you were at the time that you sent the email (perhaps if they were curious when you might arrive if you didn't say so).
    03-02-09 04:59 PM
    I Just installed big brother app , will give feed back tomorrow
    03-02-09 05:52 PM
    I would love an ap which would let me see my gps data in real time. Would be very useful for geocaching.

Last edited by kb9jmq; 03-02-09 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Can't Spell
    03-02-09 06:05 PM
    kb9jmq, how would you use such an app? I am curious.

thanks to anyone who is trying this out. I got the idea from a friend and he wanted to share his location with friends like the new google latitude does. Kinda like sharing your location as a reference when you are sending emails.

this may not be a very popular app, but it may appeal to some... so I built it!
    03-03-09 09:09 PM
    sounds cool but i'm on verizon so gps is kind of wishful thinking lol
    03-03-09 09:20 PM
    Love the idea for my personal email account, im using a 8900 and cant get it to work.

these are the settings i have:

Enabled: ON
    Selected by ****@gmail.com address
    Refresh Lcation Rate: Normal
    Add map link: Google Maps

Do i need to type something each time i send a mail, or does it just add the co-ordinates in my signature??
    03-04-09 08:43 AM
    doesnt work for me either, even after a battery pull

just has the sent from blackberry standard signature at the bottom

do you have to turn this off for it to work?
    03-04-09 09:12 AM
    Doesn't seem to work on my storm.

1) The list of email accounts is incomplete. It is listing 4 accounts, when I have 5.

2) The only options I have are to select the email account and enable. There are no other options.

3) Even after selecting one of the email accounts, and enabling, it does not save.
    03-04-09 10:38 AM
    If you sent an email before you left to go somewhere. The person who received it would know where you were at the time that you sent the email (perhaps if they were curious when you might arrive if you didn't say so).
    It doesn't work. Tried everything still doesn't work, just my old signature

I'm using 9000/4.6.0.245

03-04-09 11:29 AM
    Dude, this is exactly what I've been looking for...for a while now. We could use it to email my boss saying, hey, this road sign needs attention ( I work for a DOT) ...or this bridge has been damaged....and in my signature is my exact location, and even a map! Perfect. Only problem is that I can't get it to work on my Curve. Still have a blank signature.....
    03-04-09 11:35 AM
    9000 / 4.6.0.241

Doesn't work.
    03-04-09 11:41 AM
    have it enabled and checked for my email address and setup for google maps like and used the default sig that it had in there, but even after a battery pull I only get my standard sig on my Verizon Storm 9530 running 4.7.109
    03-04-09 12:57 PM
    Let me review some things in the code. This works fine on my Bold and another bold a friend has.

Try disabling and re-enabling while outside. After a few minutes (sometimes GPS takes forever to return) when you re-enter the "you are here" selection under options it should show you "Last known GPS coordinates". If that doesn't show then the app didn't get a valid response from the GPS.

I will also try to put up an update with event logging for errors.

Thanks!
    03-04-09 01:50 PM
    9000 / 4.6.0.241

Doesn't work.
    I am running 4.6.0237, and the other bold is 162.
    03-04-09 01:51 PM

1) The list of email accounts is incomplete. It is listing 4 accounts, when I have 5.

2) The only options I have are to select the email account and enable. There are no other options.

3) Even after selecting one of the email accounts, and enabling, it does not save.
    Sounds to me like your last email address is causing an exception in the code, and then the rest of the options are not rendered. Is there anything different about that last account?

A logging build will help.

thanks for the feedback, I will work on this.
    03-04-09 01:52 PM
    Got it to work on my Curve. Two questions.

1. How do I get a flag to show on the Google Maps? It just shows the general area.

2. When I click on the link in the email from my device...I'm sent to Google's homepage. Is this just a setting I need to change?
    03-04-09 02:32 PM
    Got it to work on my Curve. Two questions.

1. How do I get a flag to show on the Google Maps? It just shows the general area.

I will have to see how they set a flag via the URL.

2. When I click on the link in the email from my device...I'm sent to Google's homepage. Is this just a setting I need to change?
    Google maps detects the blackberry browser and goes to the standard page.
    03-04-09 07:46 PM
    kb9jmq, how would you use such an app? I am curious.
    this may not be a very popular app, but it may appeal to some... so I built it!
    In geocaching you know the GPS coordinates of an item and you try to find it. Rather than lug some GPS device around I would love to just use my Storm since I use if for everything else already. I figure if my phone can hand my coordinates to Google for its maps it could let me see them also
    03-04-09 08:04 PM

I updated the beta to version 0.9.2. Can you try this version (just re-install on top) and then send me your Event Logs? This will help me determine what is happening on your device.

Thanks!
    03-05-09 08:29 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD