Hi. Does anyone know if Blackberry Messenger will work on a nonblackberry device, an iphone, voyager, motoQ, etc? Thanks in advance.
    02-03-08 07:01 PM
    I've been dying to know this too! Does anyone know if this is possible?
    02-24-08 02:14 AM
    Hi. Does anyone know if Blackberry Messenger will work on a nonblackberry device, an iphone, voyager, motoQ, etc? Thanks in advance.
    I heard that if you are using BB connect, you could receive BB Messenger but CAN'T send.

02-25-08 12:03 AM
    Well that makes sense because there would be no way for you to respond since the non-blackberry device does not have a PIN
    02-25-08 07:41 PM
    Non-BB devices are given a "virtual" PIN by BB Connect.
    BB connect does not include a BB Browser or a BB Messenger app. At least not on the Nokia S60 platform
    02-27-08 05:24 AM
    I have tried with different devices in the past with no luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-08 05:32 AM
    I am thinking that it won't...but I don't know. Can you answer this question. Does Blackberry messenger use the "pin" that is assigned to it for the messenger purpose? If so then I would say no... unless like the Q (AT&T) and the Tilt, they have the "ability" to use blackberry feature. That means they have an assigned "pin" from Blackberry. I then believe the messenger would work. I will say that IMHO, I really don't know. I do not know if BB Messenger is anything like MSN, Yahoo, AOL, or anything like that where it can just be downloaded and used. I believe that BB Messenger is copyrighted to Blackberry and only used on Blackberry devices (or those with the feature too). It makes sense. If I owned blackberry would I want just any provider to be able to download "my" messenger to their device...no, that's what makes Blackberry so special. It has it's own services for it's own people. Otherwise it would not be called Blackberry messenger .

Let me know if this makes sense to you.

I am not the smartest bulb on the tree...but I keep the strand lit...

And Please by any means...corect me if i am wrong .

msblueline
    03-09-08 09:11 AM
    has anyone tried figured a way on the iphone
    03-23-08 01:31 AM
    It's not possible on any non-RIM device.

The PIN you get when you sign up for bb-connect is only used an as a means of identifying your account in the RIM provisioning tool.
    03-23-08 05:11 PM
    I am guessing that because it has to go through the BB server to send/receive and like said before the virtual pin is only to identify the tool I would say a big NEGATIVE on running BB messenger on a non rim device
    03-24-08 01:28 AM
    Ok people. We need to figure a way out on how to crack this app......
    long story short. I am not a fan of blackberry. there are better pda's. but this bb messenger is , from what i understand. free internationally? please correct me if i am wrong...and people tell me you dont need a data plan and it will work internationaly .... anyway. lets crack it so we cn use it on other devices.... you guys seem to be on the right track with this vertual pin access number etc.. lets crack this thing....
    good luck.
    08-04-08 07:18 AM
    BB Connect does assign a PIN...the PIN can be used by a BB user to send a PIN message to the user of said BB connect device...but said device CANNOT respond.
    09-07-08 06:07 AM
    long story short. I am not a fan of blackberry. there are better pda's. but this bb messenger is , from what i understand. free internationally? please correct me if i am wrong...and people tell me you dont need a data plan and it will work internationaly .... anyway. lets crack it so we cn use it on other devices.... you guys seem to be on the right track with this vertual pin access number etc.. lets crack this thing....
    good luck.
    Hmmm...is the blackberry considered a PDA? I just thought it was a smartphone...oh, ya, and do people still use PDA's? I've only seen them used as inventory devices in the past few years...maybe it's just me.
    10-14-08 01:57 PM
    Hmmm...is the blackberry considered a PDA? I just thought it was a smartphone...oh, ya, and do people still use PDA's? I've only seen them used as inventory devices in the past few years...maybe it's just me.
    Well... it's all pretty much the same to me, IMO. I used to consider the non touch devices Smartphones and the touch devices PDAs, but it doesn't seem that way now.

Treos... AT&T calls it a PDA and Palm calls it a smartphone.
    10-14-08 10:57 PM
    i am wonderig about the international thing as well. I think it is free if you chat within your host country to somone else in their host country. Becasue my friend got a blackberry and went to canada for the holidays and we chatted through bbm thinking it would be free but he got charged for each message. Was this because he was using canada's satillites
    11-30-08 04:36 PM
    "satillites" ?
    12-14-08 01:17 AM
    "satillites" ?
    i was wondering about that too

??
    12-14-08 10:51 PM
    Messenger can be used internationally. If your device has a signal, you can communicate via BB messenger.
    Your individual service providers will say that it won't work, but I have tested it personally. I have two phones on my plan, one in NJ with me, and the other in CA with my girlfriend. While she was overseas iwth the Navy, I was able to maintain communication via messenger while she was in Bahrain, Dubai, Singapore, Malaysia, etc.
    I am not certain if it holds true for European countries, or if both phones are outside of the states, but messenger does pass through international lines.
    05-17-09 12:03 PM
    Hi guys.

Here is the rundown...according to my Service Provider (LIME...ex C&W) and my phone bills:

Messenger and email work internationally and are FREE. This is because they go thru the the BB connection (push) which is (essentially) what you are paying for in terms of sub fees.

Browsing the internet, updating facebook, using any map or gps software, etc, IS NOT FREE internationally!!!!! Those connections use a different connection within the BB software (framework) and you pay for...including (depending on your provider) ROAMING FEES on top of that!!!!!

When I am abroad, which is quite a bit, it's Email and BBM ONLY!!!

This holds true with non-BB phones also. I had a series of HTC's with BBConnect. I changed over to BB because the BBC software on wimno phones is an application that is connected via GPRS 24/7, and the battery life SUCKED. It went from 5 days heavy use to 1.5 days with BBC (much like my current BOLD - batt needs recharging every other evening)!!! But at least now I have BBMessenger to stay in contact with the wife.

BUT, I am always looking at phones that have a better battery life..... hopefully we will get get Nokia / Samsung type battery life (6+ hours talk) on our BB's!!!!!

Hope this was helpful.

DN.

PS:Please bear in mind that this is with LIME (ex C&W, aka: Cable and Wireless, aka: Cruel and Worthless....etc, etc, etc...you get the idea).
    05-21-09 10:11 AM
    hi dominicnoon,

u said u have used bbconnect on htc devices, i have a touch pro and cant manage to get it to work can u help....PLEASE.
    08-14-09 08:45 AM
    hi dominicnoon,

u said u have used bbconnect on htc devices, i have a touch pro and cant manage to get it to work can u help....PLEASE.
    Hey there shy.
    Bear in mind that this is for EMAILS ONLY. MMB DOES NOT WORK on non BB phones. You will be able to receive BBM's from BB users, but you can ONLY reply via EMAIL.

Here is the list of things you have to do:
    1. Download the latest version of blackberry connect.
    2. Once you have that, install it onto your HTC. Once it is installed, the phone will reboot. There will now be a half BB icon on the bottom left of our screen, half because of the 4 dots, the left 2 will be an exclamation mark (!).
    3. Go to: Menu, settings and on either the first or second page of the settings (i think it is tab 2), there should now be a BB icon there. Open it. Can't remember what the steps are from here. As I remember it, there are a couple of things you have to select (eg: BIS). Once that is done, and you click OK, it will say "preparing for first use". (Please bear in mind that it was a long time ago...this "first use" thing could come earlier...can't remember). The phone will now reboot.
    5. Once the phone has rebooted, go to your service provider's BB login page, enter your username and password and select change device. Input the IMEI and PIN for your new device. Once you have done this, and it has not given you any error messages, resend your service books.

That's it as far as I remember. You should start receiving your emails from now on.

NOTE: If, when you install BBC on your phone, and restart, you seem to have 2 phantom messages that are nowhere to be found (in the usual places), go to messaging, view all folders, then have a look in the system messages folder and VOILA!!!!! Get rid of them and no more phantom messages. This only happens if you change your device BEFORE you have completed the FULL setup on the phone. I would recommend initially removing the email addresses from the BB site prior to installation of BBC on your phone, but that's just me (after having done this procedure too many times to remember)!!!

If you have any problems, just let me know, you can PM me if you like, but I think you should reply here so that others can make use of our experiences. I DO have an old verion of BBC somewhere. I can fish it out if you like and sent it to you. Just googled it and here is a link to HTC with the TP:
    BlackBerry Connect Desktop Tool and Connect Client 4.0 for HTC TyTN II/ Touch Diamond/ Touch Pro/ Touch HD

What I suggest, is if you can't find BBC, try xda-developers, they were VERY helpful to me when I had the HTC's.

Let me know how you get on.

Good luck.

Dominic

EDIT: Shy, searched again...here is a link for ALL of the BBC software (AFAIK):
    sems.org | Blackberry Connect 4.0 Downloads (Windows Mobile)

And here is a complete how-to:
    Blackberry Connect On Windows Mobile � Suka@Blackberry
    Last edited by dominicnoon; 08-15-09 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Updated link found
    08-15-09 12:19 PM
    good luck.
    seriously, was i the only one offended by this comment??

it's already been stated that blackberry messenger is for blackberry's.hence the name blackberry messenger. if we could just download it and put it on all phones it wouldn't be special.

you can do such things with yahoo, aim, msn, even icq if it floats your fancy. if you want bbm so bad, get a blackberry and share in the wonderfulness. but i don't think anyone should be going around stating we "NEED" to do something, especially in the fact of cracking something so people can use a program that is native and special to our beloved blackberry's.
    08-16-09 11:44 AM
    i wasn't offended.....

in fact, i think it would be great if BBM opened up to other OS's...what's the harm? just means more people on BBM
    08-16-09 02:50 PM
    I guess I was more perturbed at the fact that this person was stating that we, needed, to get it to work on other devices. Not saying there's a harm, just agreeing with an earlier post stating that if it were to be able to go on all phones what's the point of it being our blackberry messenger? They decided to get a different phone and now want that? It's people just wanting all of the best worlds, being greedy if you will. For lack of a better word.

As far as more people on bbm, there is the option to add emails, which in return would give you the ability to have more people on your bbm list.

I'm not going to deny the fact that there's some people I have to text, which becomes annoying with character limits and what not. But I never really thought "gosh, I wish they could get bbm on their phone" it was more like. "I wish they had the awesomeness of a blackberry."

That's my opinion though. Just seems like no one is ever happy anymore with their own choices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by sunshower.beauty; 08-17-09 at 04:43 AM.
    08-16-09 02:57 PM
    To be honest with you, if BBs had the battery life of, say, the Nokia E61i (which still got 7 days WITH BBC connected 24/7, 3 hours of phone and over 100 emails per day), then they would be the perfect business phones. That's my only issue with them....battery life! BBM is the reason I switched back to BB.
    Dominic
    08-17-09 01:16 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD