I just want to know what's the different between these two function?

When I use keylock on my phone, it helps me not to accidently push any button, right? So...it's the same as standby mode, isn't it?
    02-03-08 12:46 AM
    Keylock really just stops the keys from doing what they normally do, with keylock on pushing almost any key will just bring up a screen showing you how to unlock your keys. The problem is that it doesn't block the pearl button, which brings up another screen asking you if you want to unlock, emergency call or cancel. This is a problem because you could accidentally make an emergency call while in keylock

Not good... that's why standby is better because it basically puts the phone in sleep mode to where no key except for mute will bring the phone back to life, so it's much harder to accidentally do anything.
    02-03-08 12:59 AM
    Thanks, yester18. That's mean I should stick with standby mode
    02-03-08 01:12 AM
    yep let it sleep
    02-03-08 01:13 AM
    Does placing it in sleep mode save more battery power than keylock? or is it the same? Im going ot start using sleep just so I dont accidently make an emergency call.
    02-18-08 04:14 AM
    Id like to know as well:

Does standby save battery??

Also, the emergency call.. Does that call 911?????
    02-20-08 12:44 PM
    It sure does dial 911 and can lead to some embarrassing situations. I swear to you that just this past weekend, I was away with my wife and 2 kids (4 year old girl and 18 month old boy) and my daughter was having a meltdown.

As I was trying to control her, my pearl in my pocket dialed 911 and an operator heard what was going on. They called me back ans asked if everything was OK. I explained and they started asking me where I was and all. I told them exactly where I was and knew what was coming. Just 10 minutes later 2 cops knock on my hotel room door. I let them in, told them what happened and showed them how it happened with the phone. They laughed and said have a good evening.

I understand that the phone asks once or twice if you are sure you want to make the call, but somehow, with phone in pocket, it confirmed it and made the emergency call.

Thankfully i have just learned about the standby mode "trick."
    03-03-08 05:59 PM
    to activate the standby mode, you just press and hold the mute button on the top. To take it out, you just press it

Standby mode is very much the same as putting it in the magnetized holster, and i have noticed that battery life is a lot better..
    03-04-08 12:19 AM
    Thanks you guys. Just another new thing to learn about my curve. I knew there was a stand by mode I just didn't know how to do it. Also is there a shortcut on the curve where you can hold a button on the keypad and it will put it in keylock mode? On my 7100 there was unless this mute key will do it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-08 09:51 PM
    I can't believe I've had Blackberries for two years now and didn't know a thing about 'standby'. Why doesn't RIM provide a quickstart guide ... or do they? Shows how alert I've been.
    08-25-08 02:40 PM
    can you still receive calls in standby?
    10-02-08 04:05 PM
    Yes, when phone is in standby you will still receive calls, email, sms/mms, bb messenger, etc.

10-02-08 05:37 PM
    Standby using the Mute button - That is a GREAT tip to save battery and avoid unwanted button pushes.

Thanks for the tip,
    Longtime BBerry User
    02-03-09 04:17 PM
    Has anybody ever had a problem with their standby? Sometimes my standby will work fine but other times it will just not work. I tried rebooting my phone and it worked after that but it's such a hassle to keep doing this every time my standby doesn't work. Any suggestions? -Thanks
    02-03-09 05:17 PM
    Hi all,

I'm a new Curve owner. When I put the phone in the sleeve it came with, the screen goes dark immediately (I'm assuming this is "sleep" or "standby" mode). And because the sleeve is so snug, it'll also push buttons sometimes. When I take the phone out, it asks me to pick a language (English or Espanol), opens my messages, etc.

I just got a new case from the AT&T store: "Leather Case and Holster Combo." It doesn't seem to put it into "sleep" mode automatically. So, I tried the tip someone suggested earlier and held the Mute button down, and that doesn't seem to do anything.

Is there a way to make the phone go to sleep automatically after a certain period of inactivity? I've already got the screen set to dim after 30 seconds, but I'm assuming that having it go to sleep would be better for the batter.

Thanks!
    02-20-09 11:58 AM
    Thanks you guys. Just another new thing to learn about my curve. I knew there was a stand by mode I just didn't know how to do it. Also is there a shortcut on the curve where you can hold a button on the keypad and it will put it in keylock mode? On my 7100 there was unless this mute key will do it.

You can set up a convenience key to be your keylock. I have my left one set up that way but after reading this, I think I might just use standby instead!
    02-20-09 02:00 PM
    There's also an cheap little app called: AutoStandby It does the same thing as pressing and holding the mute button - but does it whenever the screen blanks out (and you can change the time of that).
    02-20-09 02:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD