So, do they really help protect against falls? Or are they simply just to prevent scratches?
    02-27-09 12:33 AM
    Why don't you try it and let us know

They are better than nothing, and will probably prevent cosmetic damage providing it doesn't land face first. But they won't give you any shock protection like an Otterbox would. The silicone skins are usually quite grippy so it should decrease the chances of it accidentally flying out of your hand or sliding across the dash of your car. I have one on my 8130 and for the most part like it, other than the dust it picks up.
    02-27-09 12:49 AM
    Why don't you try it and let us know

They are better than nothing, and will probably prevent cosmetic damage providing it doesn't land face first. But they won't give you any shock protection like an Otterbox would. The silicone skins are usually quite grippy so it should decrease the chances of it accidentally flying out of your hand or sliding across the dash of your car. I have one on my 8130 and for the most part like it, other than the dust it picks up.
    So the Otterbox is a genuine shock absorber then? Sweet!
    02-27-09 12:53 AM
    +1 for the otterbox. Its like a tank
    02-27-09 12:54 AM
    otterbox is a tank, but is as big as one. I like my black silicon skin, it keeps it protected even when I drop it. so, to answer your question, yes they work.
    02-27-09 01:05 AM
    Im not keen on the silicone....I don't like how it feels. My iPod mini has em and I didn't like it very much.

I got a plastic casing as Im too cheap for an otterbox at this point
    02-27-09 01:38 AM
    One thing that I highly dislike about the silicone "condom" I have on my Pearl is that dust and lint from in my pocket works it's way under the skin and manages to scratch up the clear coat of the phone. Real painful to take it off and see that sand or other dirt and such has made its way underneath and done a number on the surface.

Another downfall about it is that oftentimes, the skin will manage to peel its way loose on one corner so if you do drop it you're definitely looking at cosmetic damage.

The skin does help with shock absorption somewhat, but a hard case would be better as they fall apart on hard shock, protecting the phone.

I'd like to try the otterbox myself, but the cases for phones tend to **** me off after a few weeks and I end up going back to carrying my phone naked.

Hope you like whichever case you do choose though

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-09 05:39 AM
    I have a full body Invisible Shield that I purchased for my Pearl and didn't even put it on. Still in the box. PM me if anyone is interested.
    02-27-09 06:37 AM
    I've been using the silicone skins for the last year and a half. Where I agree with rednckfishr on how the skin seams to pick up dust and dirt and sand that can scratch the phone, It has protected my 8320 and 8900 from a number of falls. In all, not the protection of an Otterbox but none of the bulk.
    02-27-09 07:18 AM
    I have a silicone skin. I love it. It does prevent scratches to the body but not much shock absorbtion. I have a screen protetor film on my screen. My BB is in very good shape. I agree about the otter box on all accounts. It is bulky but it works.
    02-27-09 07:18 AM
    I use a screen protector and silicone case and am pretty happy. It is a lint magnet but after a few drops on concrete it still looks good!

02-27-09 08:54 AM
    i have an invisible shield and it's great. just to echo what everyone has said about it, yes dust and stuff gets in under some corners but there's no bulk and helps prevent against scratches. i've dropped it a couple times but nothing too bad. an ottorbox will give it crazy protection but it's HUGE! haha
    02-27-09 12:28 PM
    So, do they really help protect against falls? Or are they simply just to prevent scratches?
    Yes, they do. I was getting out of my car at work this morning, juggling my BB, and the various bags that I carry to work. Well, my BB dropped and fell to the ground. I am soo very glad that I had my silicon skin on, my BB flipped flopped a few times, it landed on its face (thank goodness for the BSE). Not a scratch or dent anywhere to be found!
    02-27-09 02:02 PM
    i just have the IS screen and a blackberry oem comdom

its picks up dust and lint but i like the combo
    02-27-09 04:44 PM
    Do they help? Yes!
    02-27-09 04:46 PM
    yes it definitely helps. ive dropped my bb a couple of times, and no scratches or other damage at all. im sure the otterbox is the ultimate case, but the silicone does just fine with me.
    02-27-09 05:42 PM
    I agree with the PPers also its kinda a pain when you have to take it off for a battery pull
    02-27-09 11:35 PM
    I have had a plastic clear case for my pearl and when it did fall and I took the case off it scratched my panels heavily! I now use the oem skins and screen protector. It does pick up lint but I like how it comes off easy and a quick rinse and its good as new. Hope my 2 cents helps.

02-28-09 10:43 AM
    +1 on Otterbox Defender cases. The 8130 is my first BB, purchased used to see how I would like the whole BB experience.
    It came with the Otterbox and I am glad it did! The size of the Pearl doesn't work well with my hands, so the big case gives me more room to hang onto the device when using my thumbs. I am in a machine shop environment so the protection is welcomed there as well.
    02-28-09 09:25 PM
    I have been using the silicon "condoms" for my BB pretty much just after I got it (5+ months). I am not one to have much debris in my pockets (sand, large particles, etc.) so the most that happens is lint will get caught on the outside of the cover and I have to brush it off.

I got the three color pack from Amazon (white, blue and black) and love them. One perk that I cannot live without is the anti-skid properties for when you toss the phone on the seat. I drive very spirited and the phone never moves. Also when I did not have the "condom" on the phone, it just felt like it was going to fall out of my hands any minute. The chrome gets fingerprints on it and I was constantly wiping it down. With the "condom" it feel substantial in my hands.

I have dropped it phone just once, and it wasn't from a far distance, but it hit concrete and the silicon case protected the phone itself. The case had a scruff on it but it wiped out just fine.

They are so cheap I'd get one just to test it out, you cannot go wrong.
    02-28-09 09:43 PM
    I have been using the silicon "condoms" for my BB pretty much just after I got it (5+ months). I am not one to have much debris in my pockets (sand, large particles, etc.) so the most that happens is lint will get caught on the outside of the cover and I have to brush it off.

I got the three color pack from Amazon (white, blue and black) and love them. One perk that I cannot live without is the anti-skid properties for when you toss the phone on the seat. I drive very spirited and the phone never moves. Also when I did not have the "condom" on the phone, it just felt like it was going to fall out of my hands any minute. The chrome gets fingerprints on it and I was constantly wiping it down. With the "condom" it feel substantial in my hands.

I have dropped it phone just once, and it wasn't from a far distance, but it hit concrete and the silicon case protected the phone itself. The case had a scruff on it but it wiped out just fine.

They are so cheap I'd get one just to test it out, you cannot go wrong.
    Right there with ya! I just bought the 3 pack from eBay! For $12. Wish there were more colors! I also have a pink one. One for every mood I'm in. Lol.

02-28-09 09:52 PM
    My skin has been great. Easy on easy off. Decent protection for normal use. The only thing I don't like is if I keep my phone in my pocket the silicone is like frickin glue!! Its a pain to get out of my pocket without turning it inside out.

03-01-09 08:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD