Hey, new to Crackberry, been lurking a while and finally decided to register. People here seem nice and very helpful. Anyways, I have a couple questions about T-Mobile and their upgrade service. I've been using my sidekick LX for about a year and a half now, and would like to upgrade to a Curve 8900..

I'm on my mom's family plan, and she's due for an upgrade, but I'm not. I was wondering if I'd be able to use her upgrade to get an 8900 and just stick my SIM into it and change over to the BB data plan? My mom knows somebody that works at T-Mobile and they told her that they can figure out if the phone is being used on a different number and that I'd have to pay the full $430 or whatever because I'm not eligible for the full rebate. Anybody know if this is true or not? Or better yet, anybody do it themselves? I just want an 8900, my sidekick is a pile of s%*^

Thanks in advance,
    -Mark
    02-26-09 07:54 PM
    I used the update I had on a different line to get the 8900 for my line. While they can see what phone the sim card is in it is unlikely that they would find out as someone would have to look very closely at your account to figure that out which almost never happens. (usually happens only for things such as your phone being stolen and you wont them to shut that phone off from the mobile network)
    02-26-09 07:58 PM
    I used the phone I purchased on a new line, on my old number, and it works. The guy even did it in the store. They won't have a problem with it.
    02-26-09 08:06 PM
    Wow! You guys are fast... Awesome, exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks again!
    02-26-09 08:15 PM
    The rep I talked to does this homself the only problem you will have is if you don't currently have insurance on your line since you can only add it up to 15 days after you upgrade. So if someone else has insurance you can do what the rep told me to do, something he does, which is swap phones and put the covered sim in the phone you want covered on insurance periodically they just check for activity before they will put through an insurance claim. I upgraded my phone on another line on my account no problem. That's the beauty of a sim card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 08:17 PM
    Sweet thanks guys! My new 8900 is en-route... should be here sometime around next week Tuesday or so. Got a black Innocase II on it's way too... Can't wait to toss this SKLX in the trash!
    02-27-09 12:10 AM
    I don't know if the store is doing it or not but on Amazon they will give you $50.00 for your old phone. I think...I'm not sure of the details but it wouldn't hurt to ask Tmobile. And if they don't you can still recycle it at any cell store, even Home Depot will take it.
    02-27-09 03:20 AM
    Sweet thanks guys! My new 8900 is en-route... should be here sometime around next week Tuesday or so. Got a black Innocase II on it's way too... Can't wait to toss this SKLX in the trash!
    When you receive your 8900 on Tuesday, do not just pop in your SIM to the phone.

Make sure you register it with your mother's mobile number first, before you start using it on your line. Otherwise, you will not be able to receive your $100 rebate. I hate to see you not getting your rebate.
    02-27-09 03:55 AM
    Being with T Mobile for 12 years I simply asked them to "take care" of the additional $100.00 rebate for me, they obliged...
    02-27-09 05:23 AM
    Being with T Mobile for 12 years I simply asked them to "take care" of the additional $100.00 rebate for me, they obliged...
    Ahh, yes, they gave my mom the $100 credit.. should I still register with my mom's SIM? How do I go about doing that? I also wanted to get my girlfriend an 8220 on another family member's upgrade, but was told I wouldn't be able to get the $100 rebate.. Would doing this help me get the rebate for the 8220 too?

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the help.
    -Mark

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-09 02:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD