Step 1

Install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later on the computer.

When you install BlackBerry Desktop Software, the drivers that allow the BlackBerry smartphone to communicate through the Universal Serial Bus (USB) port and virtual COM port are installed. The Standard Modem, which is used by dial-up networking, is also installed.

Note: If upgrading your BlackBerry Desktop Software from version 4.0 to 4.1, the required Virtual COM Port and Standard Modem might be removed during the upgrade process. If this is the case, re-install the BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later and choose the Repair option to re-install these components.

Step 2

Set up an Internet APN.

1. Click Start > Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Phone and Modem Options.
    3. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click the Modems tab.
    4. Select Standard Modem and click Properties.
    5. Click Change Settings.
    6. In the Standard Modem Properties window, click the Advanced tab.
    7. In the Extra initialization commands field, type the following:

+cgdcont=1,"IP","<your Internet APN>"

Note: The following is applicable for T-Mobile� customers only:

The extra initialization command is: +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

Note: If you do not know your Internet APN, or if you do not have an Internet APN, contact your service provider.

8. Click OK.
    9. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click OK.

Step 3

To configure dial-up networking, complete the procedure that is appropriate to the operating system you are using:

Microsoft Windows Vista

Click Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Phone and Modem Options

If you are opening Phone and Modem Options for the first time, a dialog box displays prompting you to enter an area code and access codes.

Windows XP operating system

1. Click Start > Control Panel > Network Connections.
    2. Double-click New Connection Wizard. The New Connection Wizard opens.
    3. Click Next.
    4. Select the Connect to the Internet option. Click Next.
    5. Select Set up my connection manually. Click Next.
    6. Select Connect using a dial-up modem. Click Next.
    7. If the Select a Device screen appears, select the Modem - Standard Modem check box. Click Next.
    8. In the ISP Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
    9. In the Phone number field, type *99#. Click Next.
    10. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
    11. Type the user name and password provided by your service provider. Click Next.
    12. Click Finish.
    13. In the Connect window, click Properties.
    14. In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, and then click Configure.
    15. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK. In the Properties window, click OK.

Microsoft Windows 2000 operating system

1. Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Network and Dial-up Connections.

Note: The following is applicable for T-Mobile customers only:

Under the networking tab in the properties window for the dial-up connection, clear the Enable LCP Extensions check box, as well as every other box beneath the PPP window.
    3. Double-click Make New Connection. The Network Connection Wizard opens.
    4. Click Next.
    5. Choose Dial-up to private network. Click Next.
    6. In the Phone number field, type *99#. Click Next.
    7. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
    8. Type a name for your connection. Click Finish.
    9. In the Connect window, click Properties.
    10. In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem is selected, then click Configure.
    11. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.
    12. In the Properties window, click OK.

Step 4

Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.

Note: During this procedure, do not operate the BlackBerry� Browser or any third-party applications on the BlackBerry smartphone. An active data session may interfere with the modem connection. Also, make sure an ethernet connection is not active at the same time.

1. Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer.
    2. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    3. Click Start > Settings > Network Connections > <name of your new connection>.
    4. Type the user name and password provided by your service provider.
    5. Click Dial.
    02-26-09 12:17 AM
    Just wanted to add this works in Windows 7 too, just follow the Vista instructions. Except when you're trying to find the Phone & Modems option, it's just easier to type Modem in the search box on the Start menu. Thanks again.
    02-26-09 07:32 AM
    This is already posted in the tips section of the forum found here http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...y-modem-19093/
    It has all the apn settings for most carriers as well. Thanks for the info though.
    02-26-09 07:35 AM
    Yeah but this one is kinda for T-Mobile customers lol
    Semper fi
    02-27-09 12:22 PM
    hi there, i already do the step, but i still cann't do the tethered modem using my Blackberry storm 9530, and i use T-mobile to be my service provider, and my laptop using windows vista, anybody have another clue for me, please help me out, thanks
    03-04-09 03:06 AM
    Hi there, I have done so using storm 9530 as tethered modem in XP. I am using an Indonesian GSM network now. Still I can not connect to network. error 678 appears on the screen. the APN and all dial setup is OK. thank you...
    03-04-09 07:58 AM
    If you are having problems tethering, here is what finally fixed my issues. I had all my settings correct, but I still could not tether.

I was running Desktop Manager 4.7. I uninstalled it, rebooted my PC and installed Desktop Manager 4.6 and then rebooted. Desktop 4.7 has been buggy ever since I installed it.

The link is here for Desktop 4.6.

I then uninstalled the Blackberry 4.6.1.114 OS from my PC, rebooted, and then reinstalled the 4.6.1.114 OS to my PC. Rebooted again, and then verified all my settings were as outlined in the original post.

It now works like a charm.
    03-04-09 11:27 AM
    Little things can make or break your connection.
    For example Blackberry Device Manager has to be running;
    You need to have to extra initialization command on your modem;
    AND it needs to be a standard modem (which comes with your Desktop Manager installation)
    03-04-09 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD